EBay problems! Selling on eBay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megafandrew

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
  2. Typhon 6s
I figured I’d post this here. So from time to time threw out the year I sell a lot of my rc stuff on eBay. This includes rc cars, parts, bodies etc. I’ve even sold a few snowmobile parts and things like that. I’ve got a 968 star rating on there and I am 100% buyer and seller with great seller feedback.

I have recently sold my one of my rc trucks. It was a good sale made about $600cad. I shipped it out no problem. Got to destination fast. Stayed within the country also 🇨🇦 Now the buyer has sent me messages that he received the package and it was full of scrap wood or something. I’m pissed off. He wanted a refund right away. I refused it saying I sent the truck to him and have never had that happen in all my years of selling. Not saying it couldn’t happen but I suspect fraud here trying to get my truck and his cash back. Never the less eBay reviewed his item not delivered case and denied it as I had tracking and proof.

Now he’s coming at me with another claim saying item not as described and told eBay I shipped him a bunch of blocks of wood. I am still denying the claim as I know what I sent. What do you guys think eBay will do? Second claim on the item they already denied the first of not arriving? Should I just pay up the money and count the loss as a lesson? Let eBay decide? I figure I’m done with eBay now. Been on there since 2006 by the new fees and eBay’s cut of 12% or something is brutal. That sale they docked $100 from me or something in listing and seller fees. so I’m not sure I care about my rating anymore. I might just have to sell locally next time. Or no more over buying haha 😂

I figured I’d post this here. So from time to time threw out the year I sell a lot of my rc stuff on eBay. This includes rc cars, parts, bodies etc. I’ve even sold a few snowmobile parts and things like that. I’ve got a 968 star rating on there and I am 100% buyer and seller with great seller feedback.

I have recently sold my one of my rc trucks. It was a good sale made about $600cad. I shipped it out no problem. Got to destination fast. Stayed within the country also 🇨🇦 Now the buyer has sent me messages that he received the package and it was full of scrap wood or something. I’m pissed off. He wanted a refund right away. I refused it saying I sent the truck to him and have never had that happen in all my years of selling. Not saying it couldn’t happen but I suspect fraud here trying to get my truck and his cash back. Never the less eBay reviewed his item not delivered case and denied it as I had tracking and proof.

Now he’s coming at me with another claim saying item not as described and told eBay I shipped him a bunch of blocks of wood. I am still denying the claim as I know what I sent. What do you guys think eBay will do? Second claim on the item they already denied the first of not arriving? Should I just pay up the money and count the loss as a lesson? Let eBay decide? I figure I’m done with eBay now. Been on there since 2006 by the new fees and eBay’s cut of 12% or something is brutal. That sale they docked $100 from me or something in listing and seller fees. so I’m not sure I care about my rating anymore. I might just have to sell locally next time. Or no more over buying haha 😂
That’s lame 👎🏻 I hate people that try and scam the system. That’s just flat out BOGUS. If I were the eBay folks I’d ask him for a picture of “said wood blocks” then I’d say great, now I need you to weigh the blocks just as they lay and compare it against the shipping label. If the weights didn’t match I think I might flag that guy for fraud and maybe even close their account.

People get away with things so easily now, no accountability 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sorry man, I’d let the course play out. Do you by chance have pics of the box packed up to go?? That could potentially help your case

always try and sell other places first, as eBay will usually always side with the buyer. what sucks is that he may have actually received a bunch of wood in a box, some of the delivery drivers and warehouse staff out there are real scumbags "I said some, most are honest hard-working folks". oyur package may have been tampered with somewhere along the route to the buyer and the truth is as the seller you will never know, and based on eBay policies you are to blame as it's technically the seller's responsibility to make sure the buyer gets said item. it's a "good faith-based system" and unless you can prove otherwise, eBay will likely side with the buyer. I've sold a lot of poop on eBay and have made a bunch of money, but there have been a few instances very similar to what you are dealing with and I swore i would never sell there again. that didn't last..... you may have to just chalk it up as a loss.

what ever you do don't STOP FIGHTING

I would Ebay handle it. You got proof of shipping. His word against yours. Ebay most likely contacts you and buyer trying to get the two of you to settle it. The buyer most probably will keep saying he did not receive the item and you keep on saying you got proof of shipping.
Ebay probably will refund the buyer depending on buyers’ Ebay history. Then he’ll have his truck for free.

I sold a Leupold binoculars on ebay once described the condition to a T. Provided what I believed to be enough pictures as well as stating more pics on request . Sold them, then the buyer claims not as described. I had 225+ transactions all 100% positive. Ebay decided in favor of the buyer. So I no longer sell on ebay. I will buy off of Ebay, but will never sell on it again. Now it's pretty much all local sales and forums like this with a seller that has great ratings.
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I only buy from reputable stores I know on eBay, unless the price is low enough that it doesn’t matter. I will occasionally take a risk on some $10 Chinese parts knowing that $10 isn’t the end of the world if they suck. Otherwise I stick with stores like @Basherqueen JRC Lumadave etc.

just sell on here, everyone is nice, no fees, and everyone is happy...

I lost over $700 from ebay siding with the liar who said my item wasn't as described. Ebay took the $$ and gave it back to him, just like that. Nothing I could do, no recourse. I have not sold on ebay since, and that was years ago. It's the easiest scam out there, with a guaranteed payout. All you have to do is be dishonest and be willing to screw some anonymous shill out of his stuff. There are no shortages of douche bags out there. Somehow, pop culture made it cool to be a hustler. I'm sorry you got ripped off.

I sold a Leupold binoculars on ebay once described the condition to a T. Provided what I believed to be enough pictures as well as stating more pics on request . Sold them, then the buyer claims not as described. I had 225+ transactions all 100% positive. Ebay decided in favor of the buyer. So I no longer sell on ebay. I will buy off of Ebay, but will never sell on it again. Now it's pretty much all local sales and forums like this with a seller that has great ratings.
Exactly. *&^4 ebay. Had a similar experience with a guy named James Myles out of Longwood FL. Sold him a BLX 185 esc that was flawless. He couldn't figure out how to get it to work so he filed a claim with ebay. I get on this forum, find him and see that he hasn't the slightest idea as to what he's doing, show the post to ebay and they still sided with him.
Once he got it sorted out with the help of people on this forum, he decided not to return it. Left me neutral feedback and called me a a-hole.

His ignorance........or inability to use the things he purchases was the only issue with my esc, yet ebay was willing to say hey, screw you....he's getting his money back.

I was done with ebay at that point. The high fees, the bs "seller protection" is a joke.

I had a similar experience as a buyer for a dewalt xr grinder. Package never arrived although tracking said it did. My cameras showed otherwise. Ebay sided with the seller showing that it was delivered. I called my finance company, offered video footage, they decline to view it and immediately gave me my money back. Ebay is good for hard to find items, but for everyday run of the mill stuff, you're better off shopping locally or on some other website.

Last edited:
Stick to your guns bud. He's already shown his cards by first claiming he didn't receive it.. it's now known to you and ebay that he's of questionable character.
If ebay does side with the scumbag, you'll have to decide whether or not you want to continue using ebay. Sucks for sure, but I would ride it out.
Good luck 🤞

I’ve been buying/selling on eBay since 1999. Mostly high end stereo gear. Used to get money orders, personal checks, even boxes with cash for payments. Interaction with buyers was on a personal level not thru a system. Never had an issue until payments became 100% electronic. eBay is all about the next sale and will ALWAYS side with the buyer. Try and get commissions back for non paying bidders. What a hassle and to make it worse you’re selling rc cars...best is face to face with cash in hand. Sorry for your hassles, eBay is great to buy from but not geared for small time sellers anymore.

That’s lame 👎🏻 I hate people that try and scam the system. That’s just flat out BOGUS. If I were the eBay folks I’d ask him for a picture of “said wood blocks” then I’d say great, now I need you to weigh the blocks just as they lay and compare it against the shipping label. If the weights didn’t match I think I might flag that guy for fraud and maybe even close their account.

People get away with things so easily now, no accountability 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sorry man, I’d let the course play out. Do you by chance have pics of the box packed up to go?? That could potentially help your case
Ya I know there are people out there like that just got caught off guard. Yes I had a picture or two packed up so that probably helped the first case. I got him to weight it. It’s almost double the weight. The package I sent was 6.953kg. His package claimed weight is 11.95kg! Almost double. There’s no way the post office would of sent that much weight by mistake and not charge me for it. So something doesn’t add up. I have a feeling I’ll lose my money though. Thanks for the advice.
always try and sell other places first, as eBay will usually always side with the buyer. what sucks is that he may have actually received a bunch of wood in a box, some of the delivery drivers and warehouse staff out there are real scumbags "I said some, most are honest hard-working folks". oyur package may have been tampered with somewhere along the route to the buyer and the truth is as the seller you will never know, and based on eBay policies you are to blame as it's technically the seller's responsibility to make sure the buyer gets said item. it's a "good faith-based system" and unless you can prove otherwise, eBay will likely side with the buyer. I've sold a lot of poop on eBay and have made a bunch of money, but there have been a few instances very similar to what you are dealing with and I swore i would never sell there again. that didn't last..... you may have to just chalk it up as a loss.

what ever you do don't STOP FIGHTING
Thanks for the feedback. I figured it is possible that on route it got messed with. Mabey someone figured out I was sending all this nice rc stuff in the mail often haha. I won’t give up on the case until they take the money from me but I definitely not handing it over either haha. Yes eBay reaches such a wide buying field is why I like it
Ah I figure this will be me as well. I may try stop buying on there too. Ya it’s too bad I was doing good on ebay.
I only buy from reputable stores I know on eBay, unless the price is low enough that it doesn’t matter. I will occasionally take a risk on some $10 Chinese parts knowing that $10 isn’t the end of the world if they suck. Otherwise I stick with stores like @Basherqueen JRC Lumadave etc.
I usually do the same Jon. Might be the end of selling on eBay anyways. Too much trouble for what it is and those fees now 💰
just sell on here, everyone is nice, no fees, and everyone is happy...
Ya I should have from the start lol lesson learned! Will in the future for sure.
I lost over $700 from ebay siding with the liar who said my item wasn't as described. Ebay took the $$ and gave it back to him, just like that. Nothing I could do, no recourse. I have not sold on ebay since, and that was years ago. It's the easiest scam out there, with a guaranteed payout. All you have to do is be dishonest and be willing to screw some anonymous shill out of his stuff. There are no shortages of douche bags out there. Somehow, pop culture made it cool to be a hustler. I'm sorry you got ripped off.
I guess it was bound to happen. Out of the many successful sales one is a bad apple. I guess I’d do the same I’ll be so mad i won’t buy or sell on eBay anymore.
Exactly. *&^4 ebay. Had a similar experience with a guy named James Myles out of Longwood FL. Sold him a BLX 185 esc that was flawless. He couldn't figure out how to get it to work so he filed a claim with ebay. I get on this forum, find him and see that he hasn't the slightest idea as to what he's doing, show the post to ebay and they still sided with him.
Once he got it sorted out with the help of people on this forum, he decided not to return it. Left me neutral feedback and called me a a-hole.

His ignorance........or inability to use the things he purchases was the only issue with my esc, yet ebay was willing to say hey, screw you....he's getting his money back.

I was done with ebay at that point. The high fees, the bs "seller protection" is a joke.

I had a similar experience as a buyer for a dewalt xr grinder. Package never arrived although tracking said it did. My cameras showed otherwise. Ebay sided with the seller showing that it was delivered. I called my finance company, offered video footage, they decline to view it and immediately gave me my money back. Ebay is good for hard to find items, but for everyday run of the mill stuff, you're better off shopping locally or on some other website.
That’s terrible. Bunch of a$$holes eBay is especially those new fees. I think I’m done there. $600 is a lot at holidays now too I’ll have to put in a over time shift or two 😡🥶. But at least it gets me off there for. While my save some money then 😂
Stick to your guns bud. He's already shown his cards by first claiming he didn't receive it.. it's now known to you and ebay that he's of questionable character.
If ebay does side with the scumbag, you'll have to decide whether or not you want to continue using ebay. Sucks for sure, but I would ride it out.
Good luck 🤞
Thanks brother will do. Riding this one out see how it goes. And ya will have to decide in the end if it’s worth the risk again or not
I’ve been buying/selling on eBay since 1999. Mostly high end stereo gear. Used to get money orders, personal checks, even boxes with cash for payments. Interaction with buyers was on a personal level not thru a system. Never had an issue until payments became 100% electronic. eBay is all about the next sale and will ALWAYS side with the buyer. Try and get commissions back for non paying bidders. What a hassle and to make it worse you’re selling rc cars...best is face to face with cash in hand. Sorry for your hassles, eBay is great to buy from but not geared for small time sellers anymore.
Your 100%. I do like to buy from as they have stuff locally I can’t get or hobby shops don’t carry. But they definitely don’t work for the small seller anymore. I’ll be done with selling after this one. I may buy still but that’s it. And even that will be tough I’ll be salty for a while towards eBay haha
Ok so I had the guy weight the package it’s double the weight of what I sent so we will see what happens. He will probably get the money back I have a feeling. But t least I know I did my part in good faith to the buyer as I always do. I think the case will close or go to eBay judgment Dec.2 or 3rd so I’ll post an update for you guys anyways of what happened. Thanks for all comments I read all of them. Some good advice and tips

Last edited:
So the package went to a business I should have been more cautious sending it there https://en.fortierco.com/

they have a scale to so probably ship and sell a lot of stuff. Scam me, resell the truck. I said f$&k it. I offered a half price back refund. If the buyer doesn’t accept I guess it up to eBay. I really don’t care at this point about seller rating bullsh#t anymore. After more reading and seeing many of these scams and no protection at all for sellers I won’t be selling there anymore. My last defence will be to challenge the charge back if it happens with the bank I guess mabey

below is what he said I sent him or what he received. I noticed whoever accepted the package on proof of delivery was not the name it was sent to on the package.
62E443DD-1AB7-4646-A525-FC87BF73FD4F.png
EF2EE37B-FBA1-4962-887E-293F00ED8ED6.png
EB54EA32-6C5E-4413-8102-5B6884403D63.png

Looks like they are set up to ship pretty well lol that’s the picture I got when asking for weight. An easy scam. Remove what I sent after weighting it and matching the weight almost perfectly. Piece of sh#t

Attachments

• D24A19C3-A756-44E3-9E45-913F5E3D1AE1.png
    D24A19C3-A756-44E3-9E45-913F5E3D1AE1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
So the package went to a business I should have been more cautious sending it there https://en.fortierco.com/

they have a scale to so probably ship and sell a lot of stuff. Scam me, resell the truck. I said f$&k it. I offered a half price back refund. If the buyer doesn’t accept I guess it up to eBay. I really don’t care at this point about seller rating bullsh#t anymore. After more reading and seeing many of these scams and no protection at all for sellers I won’t be selling there anymore. My last defence will be to challenge the charge back if it happens with the bank I guess mabey

below is what he said I sent him or what he received. I noticed whoever accepted the package on proof of delivery was not the name it was sent to on the package.
View attachment 182996View attachment 182997View attachment 182998
Looks like they are set up to ship pretty well lol that’s the picture I got when asking for weight. An easy scam. Remove what I sent after weighting it and matching the weight almost perfectly. Piece of sh#t
Curious, what's their ebay feedback look like? How long,ect?

I stopped selling on Ebay cause of their pure greed , 10% on sold items and they wack you 3 % on the shipping cost !!! So you can sell a car worth $50k and have a cap of $250 fee , I sold a grill for a car for $2,000 , got $1754 after fees for the item and fee for shipping !!!

I stopped selling on Ebay cause of their pure greed , 10% on sold items and they wack you 3 % on the shipping cost !!! So you can sell a car worth $50k and have a cap of $250 fee , I sold a grill for a car for $2,000 , got $1754 after fees for the item and fee for shipping !!!
That is ludicrous! I WAS thinking of trying to unload some old rc stuff on there.. I guess not.
I hate the negotiating process..😔

Buying and selling on eBay for almost 20 years I have been ripped off as both buyer and seller. One case was similar to yours and they sided with the buyer even after I was able to provide pictures of the item from the listing being boxed up and the shipping label applied; I always went through this process as I thought it would defend against item not as described scams, but it didn't.

Shipping within/out of Canada is typically expensive so I would try to help buyers out by offering untracked lettermail or international small packet as an option for smaller items; I stopped after getting many item not received claims and being forced to issue refunds. In one case I sold an R/C part to a buyer who made such a claim, I refunded him and then later saw a forum post with a photo of a truck that had my part - complete with all the same wear markings - installed on it (if this person happens to be reading this post today, go f**k yourself).

As a buyer I have been the bane of some sellers who try to peddle junk with deceptive descriptions and photos, as I don't hesitate to return anything that isn't exactly as described and with some sellers - in particular high volume sellers listing several units of used merchandise with stock photos, which they don't bother to go over individually to check the condition - I have undoubtedly cost them a fortune in shipping charges going through several return and replacement cycles. Protip: if listing on eBay, always use several high quality photos of the exact item you're selling so buyers don't end up feeling deceived.

Numerous times I have been scammed by (usually Chinese) sellers who shipped me refurbished items as new, knockoff low capacity laptop and phone batteries sold as genuine, knockoff or mislabeled PC components, and so forth. Generally had good luck with buying R/C stuff though as I have typically stuck to the well regarded chop shops and option part sellers.

Ultimately, eBay is like any fairly unregulated marketplace in that it's a haven for crooks and to use it effectively you have to be savvy and aware of and willing to take on risks. I still think it's less dubious than Amazon marketplace which is much more popular, even less effectively regulated and an absolute paradise for the sort of people you don't want to be doing business with.

I've had no issues selling like-new used high-end camera equipment or expensive Swiss watches (some over $1,000) on Ebay. Buyers of those things know a good deal when they see one and don't quibble or ask for a return. I did find out that the prospective buyers who ask for more pics are the least likely to actually buy an item, so I tend to ignore them. I tend to price my items with a "Buy It Now" or "Best Offer" rather than take bids. But since the seller's fees have gone up, I've pretty much given up on selling on Ebay.

View attachment 182996View attachment 182997View attachment 182998
fiddlestick, this makes fiddlesticking angry... 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back