EBay problems! Selling on eBay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fiddlestick, this makes fiddlesticking angry... 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
So like a classic scam the buyer took half the money back because I showed good diplomacy and character? To me seems like a eBay scam I’ve read about. Got my truck, claimed it not delivered or described, and got to bank half the money back. O well lesson learned on this one. I didn’t have as many pictures as I should and I didn’t insure it for as much as I should have 🤦‍♂️ Never again will I make those two mistakes. And no more shipping to anything but a home address. I blocked the buyer and reported them. It’s all I can do.

If it makes you feel any better, I recently traded a truck for a truck and USPS lost the one I was supposed to receive.

I'm out 2 trucks which is about $1200 :(
O man that’s a bad one I feel bad for you on that one. Mine wasn’t as bad luckily. I guess what can we d. Take the risk on the mail system and selling/trading…..you never know what your going to get!
I've had no issues selling like-new used high-end camera equipment or expensive Swiss watches (some over $1,000) on Ebay. Buyers of those things know a good deal when they see one and don't quibble or ask for a return. I did find out that the prospective buyers who ask for more pics are the least likely to actually buy an item, so I tend to ignore them. I tend to price my items with a "Buy It Now" or "Best Offer" rather than take bids. But since the seller's fees have gone up, I've pretty much given up on selling on Ebay.
I hear you good tips but ya those fees make it almost not worth it now. Being in Canada 🇨🇦 it does give me a broader market though is why I use it. Locally it’s hard to sell anything here but Traxxas 🙄.

Buying and selling on eBay for almost 20 years I have been ripped off as both buyer and seller. One case was similar to yours and they sided with the buyer even after I was able to provide pictures of the item from the listing being boxed up and the shipping label applied; I always went through this process as I thought it would defend against item not as described scams, but it didn't.

Shipping within/out of Canada is typically expensive so I would try to help buyers out by offering untracked lettermail or international small packet as an option for smaller items; I stopped after getting many item not received claims and being forced to issue refunds. In one case I sold an R/C part to a buyer who made such a claim, I refunded him and then later saw a forum post with a photo of a truck that had my part - complete with all the same wear markings - installed on it (if this person happens to be reading this post today, go f**k yourself).

As a buyer I have been the bane of some sellers who try to peddle junk with deceptive descriptions and photos, as I don't hesitate to return anything that isn't exactly as described and with some sellers - in particular high volume sellers listing several units of used merchandise with stock photos, which they don't bother to go over individually to check the condition - I have undoubtedly cost them a fortune in shipping charges going through several return and replacement cycles. Protip: if listing on eBay, always use several high quality photos of the exact item you're selling so buyers don't end up feeling deceived.

Numerous times I have been scammed by (usually Chinese) sellers who shipped me refurbished items as new, knockoff low capacity laptop and phone batteries sold as genuine, knockoff or mislabeled PC components, and so forth. Generally had good luck with buying R/C stuff though as I have typically stuck to the well regarded chop shops and option part sellers.

Ultimately, eBay is like any fairly unregulated marketplace in that it's a haven for crooks and to use it effectively you have to be savvy and aware of and willing to take on risks. I still think it's less dubious than Amazon marketplace which is much more popular, even less effectively regulated and an absolute paradise for the sort of people you don't want to be doing business with.
Thanks for sharing that’s a long time on eBay! I’m sure you’ve seen your fair share. I’ve also been scamed as a seller and buyer. This one was one of my bigger losses. I also thouht I was helping the guy out as he was within the same country. Ya my pictures are always high quality I even note any little defect with the trucks or parts. I’ve even helped buyers out with an issues Something went wrong with this one, it shipped to a company address and someone else signed for it verbally. The post should of held for signature. As I paid for that. I guess that wouldn’t matter. I’ve realized you win and lose on eBay. And Amazon sounds terrible. Haha. If I sell anymore I’ll just make sure to be clear and best pictured as possible. I ended up refunding half the cost. Makes me think he had the truck and took the money or he was genuine and felt bad about the whole thing and just accepted half the cost.

I stopped using ebay some time ago. I would rather sell it locally for less, than let some shyster rob me on ebay with their help.

I've not been caught out myself, though I did have someone return a laptop once. They claimed it was defective and didn't work, but they did at least send it back. Was nothing wrong with it and I could see their browsing history for the days they had it. I had loads of information on them and I taunted and trolled them mercilessly for ages.

Now it's cash on collection for anything of value. I'm not desperate for money and don't care if I get less money. It's not even losing money that would upset me if I got ripped off. It would just be that they got one over me that would annoy the heck out of me and that ebay was complicit. Screw that.

I set the rules now and I can spot the scammers a mile away.

OneMillionDollars.jpg

I figured I’d post this here. So from time to time threw out the year I sell a lot of my rc stuff on eBay. This includes rc cars, parts, bodies etc. I’ve even sold a few snowmobile parts and things like that. I’ve got a 968 star rating on there and I am 100% buyer and seller with great seller feedback.

I have recently sold my one of my rc trucks. It was a good sale made about $600cad. I shipped it out no problem. Got to destination fast. Stayed within the country also 🇨🇦 Now the buyer has sent me messages that he received the package and it was full of scrap wood or something. I’m pissed off. He wanted a refund right away. I refused it saying I sent the truck to him and have never had that happen in all my years of selling. Not saying it couldn’t happen but I suspect fraud here trying to get my truck and his cash back. Never the less eBay reviewed his item not delivered case and denied it as I had tracking and proof.

Now he’s coming at me with another claim saying item not as described and told eBay I shipped him a bunch of blocks of wood. I am still denying the claim as I know what I sent. What do you guys think eBay will do? Second claim on the item they already denied the first of not arriving? Should I just pay up the money and count the loss as a lesson? Let eBay decide? I figure I’m done with eBay now. Been on there since 2006 by the new fees and eBay’s cut of 12% or something is brutal. That sale they docked $100 from me or something in listing and seller fees. so I’m not sure I care about my rating anymore. I might just have to sell locally next time. Or no more over buying haha 😂
Wow,. I hear ya. That sucks. I have a friend that makes his living selling used auto parts of eBay and he is constantly complaining. What else can you do but take a pick packing up the box? Even that doesn't prove anything. Idk this is a problem. Please update us

This is why I ALWAYS take pictures of what I ship, several of all items in the box, the box closed, and pics of the label. That way I at least have something on hand just in case. I just got scammed on Ebay for a PS5. Some guy was selling a new disc version for $500 which is retail. Well the "normal" price on Ebay is about $800. So I jumped on it. Long story short he never shipped it, gave me a fake old expired tracking number, so I had to open a case with Ebay and I won a refund.

On the selling end of things Ive started to use other sources other than Ebay because of their fees, and delays on getting funds. Swappa, here, Craigs, etc. Im pretty close to done selling on Ebay.

With eBay the seller is always wrong unless he can prove it. Hey! What about a ups store that packs up and boxes your stuff? Yes would cost more but?

With eBay the seller is always wrong unless he can prove it. Hey! What about a ups store that packs up and boxes your stuff? Yes would cost more but?
I think I read some where that is the only way to be fully covered is for the shipment company to verify and pack with pictures as UPS does and I think Shippo or FedEx as well offers that service!
I stopped using ebay some time ago. I would rather sell it locally for less, than let some shyster rob me on ebay with their help.

I've not been caught out myself, though I did have someone return a laptop once. They claimed it was defective and didn't work, but they did at least send it back. Was nothing wrong with it and I could see their browsing history for the days they had it. I had loads of information on them and I taunted and trolled them mercilessly for ages.

Now it's cash on collection for anything of value. I'm not desperate for money and don't care if I get less money. It's not even losing money that would upset me if I got ripped off. It would just be that they got one over me that would annoy the heck out of me and that ebay was complicit. Screw that.

I set the rules now and I can spot the scammers a mile away.

View attachment 183750
Ya I was mad that they got me with a scam. The money I didn’t want to loose because I just have that instinct that they have the truck no problem.
Wow,. I hear ya. That sucks. I have a friend that makes his living selling used auto parts of eBay and he is constantly complaining. What else can you do but take a pick packing up the box? Even that doesn't prove anything. Idk this is a problem. Please update us
your right even taking a picture won’t help you a whole lot according To eBay. They need to change the one-sided system they have on there otherwise they will slowly loose sellers I think. Well for an update I ended up offering half the cost of the item back. They took it of course 🙄. I read that’s typical of these types of scam buyers. They claim item wasn’t received. But probably did get the item. Then they take any decent amount of money and thank you for being considerate and blah blah all the while they scored the item and half their cash back. Sickening! i blocked the buyer and reported them it’s about all I could do now. If I ever sell again on there hopefully I get better buyers. I sold quite a bit on eBay without a hiccup so for me it was a 1 in 20 sales occurrence.
This is why I ALWAYS take pictures of what I ship, several of all items in the box, the box closed, and pics of the label. That way I at least have something on hand just in case. I just got scammed on Ebay for a PS5. Some guy was selling a new disc version for $500 which is retail. Well the "normal" price on Ebay is about $800. So I jumped on it. Long story short he never shipped it, gave me a fake old expired tracking number, so I had to open a case with Ebay and I won a refund.

On the selling end of things Ive started to use other sources other than Ebay because of their fees, and delays on getting funds. Swappa, here, Craigs, etc. Im pretty close to done selling on Ebay.
Ya I may have to use other sources to sell like you. The fees and waiting for funds etc. and the one sides buyer vs seller is a big issue. That’s good you were able to get your money back that sucks not to receive what is advertised to you. definitely taking more pictures next time I’ve it getting packed up and ready to go, I’ll also snap a picture or two at the post office of the weight on scale. I was thinking that might be a good idea also.

Last edited:
I think I read some where that is the only way to be fully covered is for the shipment company to verify and pack with pictures as UPS does and I think Shippo or FedEx as well offers that service!

Ya I was mad that they got me with a scam. The money I didn’t want to loose because I just have that instinct that they have the truck no problem.

your right even taking a picture won’t help you a whole lot according To eBay. They need to change the one-sided system they have on there otherwise they will slowly loose sellers I think. Well for an update I ended up offering half the cost of the item back. They took it of course 🙄. I read that’s typical of these types of scam buyers. They claim item wasn’t received. But probably did get the item. Then they take any decent amount of money and thank you for being considerate and blah blah all the while they scored the item and half their cash back. Sickening! i blocked the buyer and reported them it’s about all I could do now. If I ever sell again on there hopefully I get better buyers. I sold quite a bit on eBay without a hiccup so for me it was a 1 in 20 sales occurrence.

Ya I may have to use other sources to sell like you. The fees and waiting for funds etc. and the one sides buyer vs seller is a big issue. That’s good you were able to get your money back that sucks not to receive what is advertised to you. definitely taking more pictures next time I’ve it getting packed up and ready to go, I’ll also snap a picture or two at the post office of the weight on scale. I was thinking that might be a good idea also.
Another thing I do if I ship USPS is take a short video of me dropping the box in the drop off box, zooming in on the label. That way I can prove I shipped something in case a buyer claims not received.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back