Typhon EC5 to XT90 and that little grey wire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC-Dude

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Hi there.
I use XT90 on my aeroplanes & lipos so it's kind of natural to stay with XT90. Problem is that huge wire setup on the 6S series. A new car I test with a EC5 to XT90 connector and then I want to replace the EC5 with XT90. Just too much cable flopping around when bashing. And the danger of it ending up in the pinion/spur when the cable is not adusted in length. I kind of ignored the problem with the Infraction and Mojave but on the smaller Typhon 6s the cables are just too long, adding the lipo cable's length. It's kind a given the cable will end up between pinon and spur when doing some hard bashing.
I just want a simple plus / minus to XT90 setup. If I ever should use 2x2s oder 2x3s I rather use a parallel XT90 adapter.

What do I do with that little grey wire when soldering to XT90 ?
What is the function of the capacitors attached to the cable? Is it an antiflash setup?
Can I do without the grey cable?

Thanks!
Markus

The capacitor has nothing to do with the connector. Any connector you choose. Just swap out to the connector of your choice. Shortening leads is ok. Keep the Cap wires attached to the + and - power leads closest to the ESC itself.

The single grey wire is a Smart sensor wire for Smart Lipos. It monitors lipo volts for Smart radio's It is attached to an IC5 connector having a smaller center pin for that purpose. It isn't needed to run the rig and can be left out with a new connector. You just wont have Smart features on a Smart radio. Usually the 4 lights that indicate lipo power level on the radio if you have it. That not an EC5. Although EC5 and IC5 interconnect by intended design. I feel EC5/IC5 are just as good as XT90. Some may split hairs on this. I use XT90 on all my stuff. I change all my ESC' that way. I have like 20 some odd lipos here and all 16 of my rigs have been XT90 also. I get your idea.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the grey is kinda like a ground? Anti spark or something. I know on the ic5 connectors i've put on my batteries/esc's that didn't have it they work fine without it.

The little grey wire going to the EC5 middle tap is the 'smart' feature that communicates between the smart battery and the ESC. You can simply clip it and isolate. I wouldn't remove it but that is your preference. This is a signal wire i.e. even shorting should do anything but I would leave it as 'open' and just insulate.

^^^This.
Pretty sure the grey is kinda like a ground? Anti spark or something. I know on the ic5 connectors i've put on my batteries/esc's that didn't have it they work fine without it.
OP wants to change his ESC connector to XT90 as all his lipo's for his RC stuff is XT90.
He needs to eliminate the grey Smart wire. XT90's cant use it obviously. It is not needed anyway, but for Smart functionality if you have a Smart RTR radio. Some RTR Arrma rigs have the Smart radios and some don't. But all Firma ESC's by defaut come with the IC5 Smart grey wire attached. The grey wire doesn't serve any "anti spark" function.

Edit: for what it is worth, you still need a Spektrum Smart Lipo to take advantage of Smart telemetry features. The grey wire of an IC5 connector is non functional with a plain EC5 connector of any standard lipo.

Last edited:
Hi SrC
Thank you for that answer. So the grey wire is not even connected to the capacitor. Lol. That is the part that got me confused. So the capacitor is the normal setup to support the esc / to even out voltage peaks / fill in the void in voltage as the ESC is driving the brushless motor.

Thanks
Markus

Hi SrC
Thank you for that answer. So the grey wire is not even connected to the capacitor. Lol. That is the part that got me confused. So the capacitor is the normal setup to support the esc / to even out voltage peaks / fill in the void in voltage as the ESC is driving the brushless motor.

Thanks
Markus

Exactly. Similar to how my Hobbywing ESCs have three capacitors soldered onto the ESc itself. Spektrum / Arrma uses a Hobbbwing made part (rebranded) but a lower end one and they add capacitors for the application I suspect.

I am all XT90 myself but thinking of switching to EC5 given HH has gone that way. I only have two Arrmas and 6 batteries on XT90 so far, so I should probably switch now before it’s a bigger problem.

When I swapped out the connectors to go to XT60s on some other Spektrum ESCs all I did was do what @jkflow mentioned, isolate it.
I covered the end with a small piece of heat shrink so it couldn't contact anything then popped open the ESC case and neatly coiled & tucked it inside so it wasn't dangling around in vehicle. Works fine.

On the Firma150, the capacitor pack is directly in parallel with the Lipo battery i.e. power applied when battery connected.
On the Firma160, the capacitor power is switched on when the ESC powers up. There is an initial power up surge but the caps will drain if any load is applied. they only get fully powered with ESC on.

I use a lead free solder. (Just wanted to try it, not quite happy). In order for it to melt and flow properly I need 350 degrees Celsius / 660 Fahrenheit. So the XT90s socket / plug have to be connected during soldering or the melting of the plastic will misalign the connectors. When it cools everything is aligned. I think with EC5 / IC5 the softer plastic would melt with those temperatures. So I think a lead solder that flows at a lower temperature would be necessary with EC5.

XT90 take a permanent load of about 85 AMP. Short higher bursts not a problem. Even on the Infraction (6s , 5000mAH in 5-6 Minutes down by 4000mAh) the XT90 don't get hot. So I don't see a problem there. I never switched to EC5/EC5 due to the cost. Now they are a lot cheaper.

Exactly. Similar to how my Hobbywing ESCs have three capacitors soldered onto the ESc itself. Spektrum / Arrma uses a Hobbbwing made part (rebranded) but a lower end one and they add capacitors for the application I suspect.

I am all XT90 myself but thinking of switching to EC5 given HH has gone that way. I only have two Arrmas and 6 batteries on XT90 so far, so I should probably switch now before it’s a bigger problem.
Nothing wrong with EC5 and IC5 as quality or amps go. Some say having slightly larger bullets makes them better. Could be splitting hairs. IDK.
But Rating wise they are considered equal to XT90's. If changing over to EC5 is practical for you go for it. I have too many rigs and lipos to justify it. And XT90's are inexpensive by comparison. Just need to source legit "Amass" brand XT90's.
XT90's also come in "Antispark " versions. The connector at the Lipo side has a capacitor. FWIW. There are XT90 knock offs out there also. Try to avoid them.
EC5/IC5 is a HH proprietary plug. FWIW.

EDIT: Connectors wear out and can play havoc with your ESC and lipos. They need to be changed out here and there. Use Electrical Contact spray cleaner and wipe them out with a Q tip or similar on occasion.
Just do not short out the bullets on the lipos connectors whatever you do.
Just some tips.

Last edited:
When I swapped out the connectors to go to XT60s on some other Spektrum ESCs all I did was do what @jkflow mentioned, isolate it.
I covered the end with a small piece of heat shrink so it couldn't contact anything then popped open the ESC case and neatly coiled & tucked it inside so it wasn't dangling around in vehicle. Works fine.
>>>Just cut the whole Grey wire down short and cap off with HS. No need to coil it and have all that long mess of unused grey wire in there anyway. Be done with it. It is a passive lead anyway. No power in it. 🤷‍♂️
It is useless at this point.:cool:

EDIT:
Do understand that if HH wants it back for warranty purposes it voids that warranty. But to me I wouldn't care. To some this might matter.
HH generally doesn't ask for the ESC back, they will send you another if warranted.
Just food for thought.

>>>Just cut the whole Grey wire down short and cap off with HS. No need to coil it and have all that long mess of unused grey wire in there anyway. Be done with it. It is a passive lead anyway. No power in it. 🤷‍♂️
It is useless at this point.:cool:

EDIT:
Do understand that if HH wants it back for warranty purposes it voids that warranty. But to me I wouldn't care. To some this might matter.
HH generally doesn't ask for the ESC back, they will send you another if warranted.
Just food for thought.
It was more so if I ever changed my mind I could go back easy enough. It doesn’t hurt anything.

You are not sure about changing what connectors you want? OK
You are not committed, if unsure. 🤷‍♂️ Get it.

If I changed my mind, (probably not) I would just solder in the grey lead to length again. It's reversible. I think extra wire unused wire is not neat and inefficient. Even out of site because you don't see it. Out of mind.
I don't like to stuff my RX box with a rats nest, of non functioning wire is all. Especially because of the antenna lead coming out of the RX. Just me.
Your way works too.

You are not sure about changing what connectors you want? OK
You are not committed, if unsure. 🤷‍♂️ Get it.

If I changed my mind, (probably not) I would just solder in the grey lead to length again. It's reversible. I think extra wire unused wire is not neat and inefficient. Even out of site because you don't see it. Out of mind.
I don't like to stuff my RX box with a rats nest, of non functioning wire is all. Especially because of the antenna lead coming out of the RX. Just me.
Your way works too.
I agree about the RX box for sure! 👍🏻

The ESC however has plenty of room, at least the Spektrum ones I’m thinking of for that 3-4” of small gauge wire rolled up to approximately the size of a dime. It is doubtful I agree that I’ll ever change back and I probably could’ve just cut it short.

It seems good the way you have . You made sure it wont unravel and get caught up. Most important.
I see you are unsure if you will need it down the road. It works for you.
When I commit to a certain type of connector, I stay with it. I don't make double work for myself and play around with different connectors is what I am saying. I don't like that Smart eco system anyway. Removing that feature to me would be permanent one.

It seems good the way you have . You made sure it wont unravel and get caught up. Most important.
I see you are unsure if you will need it down the road. It works for you.
When I commit to a certain type of connector, I stay with it. I don't make double work for myself and play around with different connectors is what I am saying. I don't like that Smart eco system anyway. Removing that feature to me would be permanent one.

I use the Amass anti-spark XT90 and they are a good connector. I like that I can tune the force required to connect/disconnect by slightly squeezing together or spreading apart the split pins on the male side.

As I only have two Arrmas currently it’s not a big deal for me to switch, and if I do it now I won’t have to cut the factory connectors off of any new rigs I buy. Seems like a good move.

Spark arrestor plugs are good. I heard they can fail also. They can wear out FWIW. (the tiny capacitor within )
But good insurance and functional. Probably worth it. 👍
I would stay with the IC5/EC5 if I wasn't so invested in all my XT90 LIpos and XT90 rigs pre IC5 ESC's.
Both types are fine. For 6S.
Me personally would go larger bullet plugs with 8S esc's, if I had those. Offshore Electronics maybe.

Back