Outcast Edward's NEW 1/5 Outcast Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_8470.jpeg

Last edited:
You can try doing that, if it eliminates the "bind" between diff case and pinion, especially if what caused those scratched is the "play" of the pinion. But you'll have to start with a set of thin shims to fine-tune so as not to to cause the pinion to tighten-up and bind the bearings. MAYBE, It may also be some dirt between the bearings or the bearings itself lightly narrowed/deformed, due to "normal use" in between HD aluminium rather than plastic -- causing the increase in play of the pinion. Now we sound like Rocket Scientist figuring out what went wrong.

145855556_1592329827823088_3166146810698650889_n-2.png

I just received these cups a few days back but not installed.
@Reubydoobe keep us posted on the results if you can find a fix.

cheers,
kev
I'll try a shim and see how it goes. They are a little bit more than scratches though the aluminium has worn away, the edges have gone all round the cup. It feels free when fitted so I'm thinking it only happens at certain time's when there is pressure on the chassis maybe

You can try doing that, if it eliminates the "bind" between diff case and pinion, especially if what caused those scratched is the "play" of the pinion. But you'll have to start with a set of thin shims to fine-tune so as not to to cause the pinion to tighten-up and bind the bearings. MAYBE, It may also be some dirt between the bearings or the bearings itself lightly narrowed/deformed, due to "normal use" in between HD aluminium rather than plastic -- causing the increase in play of the pinion. Now we sound like Rocket Scientist figuring out what went wrong.

View attachment 124249
HI, I've tried it all in the new gearbox and this is what I have found out, I put red sharpie on the top of the input shaft/gear so if any rubbing is happening I can see which bit because the red ink would be marked. The gear does move backwards and forwards quite a bit 3 or 4mm maybe when it's in the most forward position ie closer to the dif cup I think the edge of the gear is catching the dif cup edge's as seen in the picture. I don't think it happens all the time because you can see its not touching from the bottom of gearbox when it's in tight. A shim would work either behind the washer or in front of the c clip. My question what size shim do I need to search for? The pack of 8th scale shims I have in my part's bin isn't big enough 🙄
The thing I have noticed is that the top of the shaft isn't very straight one side seems to stick out more than the other and I was wondering if that might be the cause of the problem. I'm considering making it flat but I'm not sure if that might cause problems with the gear. I have an old input shaft somewhere so I will fit that and see if it's the same.
IMG_20210203_185954.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back