Notorious Effects of pinion size on doing back flips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninadada

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Granite
  3. Talion
  4. Notorious
I'm still running stock 12T pinion on my Notorious as it's plenty fast as is. I was just curious if anyone has experienced a difference in performing aerial back flips with a larger pinion. Just speculating but I imagine a mid-air throttle blip with taller gearing would increase the back flip rotation speed. Any thoughts or confirmation?

Yes. More wheel speed = more and faster back flips.

I only run 4S and dropped down from 16 to 14 due to overheating the esc with proline trencher 3.8's on it. I went back to 15 just to be able to get more air control with it. 14 was just enough to do flips and clear some of the jumps I do, but it left little room for error... or wind.

A buddy of mine with a talion ran 6S with the same tires and a 15T pinion. He overheated a lot, but his flips were rediculous compared to what I could do. With that much wheel speed, he was able to pull out of bad landings more easily than I could. I have to launch pretty good and know what I'm going to try before the jump. He could just figure it out mid flight. lol!

I'm not sure how high you can go before you run into heat issues though with 6S. The stock tires were 1oz lighter than the ones I ran and he ran.

Thanks for the feedback and confirmation. I searched and surprisingly couldn't find a discussion on this topic. I started with 4S then moved to 6S mainly for the extra control or recovery in the air as you mentioned. I plan to start experimenting with different pinion sizes.

I can land a double backflip on 4S with a 15T and the 3.8 trenchers, but I have to push it pretty hard and it doesn't leave me much left over for recovery if it isn't going to make it.

Huge difference in wheel speed with a bigger pinion

17 tooth on 6s will do rolling backflips on pretty much any surface

IMG_8664.PNG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back