Electrical connectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use Deans for everything but have slowly started to make the change to EC connectors - mostly the EC5 connectors. I find them easier to install and they are rated for high voltage where I've seen Deans plugs melt.

Thanx sir woddie
Have you seen the supra connectors they have a yt video

Have you seen the supra connectors they have a yt video
I haven't until you just mentioned and it and looked at the video here:

I'd say the only thing I don't like about them is so many pieces - bullets, casing, then two more pieces to hold it together. Whereas the EC5 is two pieces - bullets and casing.

Overall the principle looks pretty much the same and don't see how going with one or the other would be a bad thing.

No, they are keyed to prevent reverse polarization. The EC3 and EC5 connectors are too much of a pia to disconnect imo.

Deans are super easy to connect and disconnect. I have never heard of one melting but I can only imagine it would need to be dirty or damaged unless you have a pretty wild setup. They are not rated by Deans but they claim it has the same resistance as a 12awg wire so if your esc is 12awg or smaller you should be good to go.

Thats what i was thinking with the deans before you melt that connectors you will melt your wires first
So it doesn't make any sense to me

A few days ago i was thinking wich connectors i was gonna use in the future.

Especially new lipos comming alot without connectors so you can solder your own.
This video made by Vasco from aussie rc helped me a lot to make out my mind.
Cars getting faster and heavier so more load required, thats why the deans connectors will be traded with other connectors in new cars alot.

Hope it helpes out you guys too.

I recently switched to XT90's, and I really like them. Big enough to make it easy to plug and unplug, but not too huge. Enough amp capacity for anything I will be doing, so long as I stay away from dropping a 1/5 scale motor in my truggy... LOL

The XT150 IMHO are overkill. I understand Vas's point about fewer connections, if you run a lot of parallel batteries. My 2s lipos are all inboard connectors, so I just made a standard XT90 harness, and a cell-to-cell jumper.

Jerry

Thread resurrection...

New V4 Arrma have IC5, smart version of EC5.

I think I will be going with XT150 and making an adapter to connect to the IC5 on the Talion. I like that you can chain the battery and not need a Y connector. I think Horizon should have done that instead of building in the y and including a jumper.

Can't change the connector if you ever plan to warranty the ESC.

I have XT90's on everything..except my Arrma, haven't got round to doing the swap from EC5's yet as the HRB's came with EC5 connectors..?

More soldering to come ??

Just picked up a V4 Typhon. Will be putting on an XT90 before it ever hits the road.
Having the XT90 and IC5 next to each other, the IC5 is a bigger connector. I think you would be disappointed putting a 90+ Amp rated connector on a 180Amp ESC.

I wish I would have done a little more research before buying the XT90s. I will be changing my batteries over to XT150. I hate to add an adapter to the already resistive setup in the ESC but I think it's the best way to go without changing the connectors and voiding the warranty.

Last edited:
Having the XT90 and IC5 next to each other, the IC5 is a bigger connector. I think you would be disappointed putting a 90+ Amp rated connector on a 180Amp ESC.

Our cars aren't actually ever drawing 180 amp... and the Xt90 is 90 continuous, not peak so..

Eventually I may upgrade motor and esc but will incorporate data logging at that point for several reasons. Would be nice to see amperage draw, motor rpm, etc..

Looks like I had some bad info. The BLX185 is a 150Amp ESC. That is probably peak. As for the connectors, there seems to be some bad info out there about those too.

Best to reference the data sheets. I couldn't find one for the IC5 so I grabbed the EC5, which is supposed to be the same minus the smart pin.

Since all my new Arrmas come with IC5 and EC5 connectors, I'm ordering all my lipos with EC5 and staying with them.

Just picked up a V4 Typhon. Will be putting on an XT90 before it ever hits the road.
Congrats on the new Typhon! Holy water is in the mail for the "other" truck?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back