Kraton Engine upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ky2

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Thinking of up grading mm2 or posiden Or any other good motor..Running on streets mainly.. looking for speed without the heat issue...

Take a look at the Leopard 4092 1730kv. I run one for bashing. If you're running on street mostly, you could run a 24 tooth pinion. I did a speed run with a 21 and ran 72 with Kraton tires.
How is the Temps?

IMG_0735.PNG
Try calling Posiden..... they do lots of speed run related events. This motor is vented. I'm not sure how much better venting is because the motor mount is right there but the back is open also. However.... these motors are worth looking into. Also.... the Leopard motors are real good. I have one in my Kraton now. Keep in mind, you may have to drill and tap the motor face plate to secure it properly into a Kraton.

How many cells.... 6S ?

Last edited:
View attachment 8240 Try calling Posiden..... they do lots of speed run related events. This motor is vented. I'm not sure how much better venting is because the motor mount is right there but the back is open also. However.... these motors are worth looking into. Also.... the Leopard motors are real good. I have one in my Kraton now. Keep in mind, you may have to drill and tap the motor face plate to secure it properly into a Kraton.

How many cells.... 6S ?
Yes 6s

I put in the older model non vented Poseidon p1515 and it ran much hotter than my Castle 2200 with the exact same setup. I hear they are designed for short speed runs, then let it cool. I'm just into general bashing. I think I'm actually going to get the Nero motor now.

Take a look at the Leopard 4092 1730kv. I run one for bashing. If you're running on street mostly, you could run a 24 tooth pinion. I did a speed run with a 21 and ran 72 with Kraton tires.

So that Leopard engine: will it work directly with the BLX 185 ESC? Do I have to change any settings?

Thinking of up grading mm2 or posiden Or any other good motor..Running on streets mainly.. looking for speed without the heat issue...
Hobbystar 4292 1480kv, gear as needed, Done!

I had the Leo 4092 1480kv, maybe I just got a bad one but mine ran way too hot. My Hobbystar same size and kv, was less expensive, has 3 and 4 mm screw holes, long quality bendy wires, cooling fins and just makes more torque.
Not bashing that motor, just wanted to say that since I have owned both and want people to know other options who are shopping for motors.
I went thru 5 motors looking for a keeper on my Kraton and found it with the big HobbyStar.
Awesome 6s machine

I ran a TpPower 4070 1700kv and it was perfect! Tons of power, more than enough.
Now I just mounted the Castle 1717. It should be equally great. I will be running it this weekend and report back. Im using an MMX for an esc.
Evo P2 servo. Never looking back!

I ran a TpPower 4070 1700kv and it was perfect! Tons of power, more than enough.
Now I just mounted the Castle 1717. It should be equally great. I will be running it this weekend and report back. Im using an MMX for an esc.
Evo P2 servo. Never looking back!
the TP4070 has no fins, any heating issue with it? did you use it for speed or bash?

the TP4070 has no fins, any heating issue with it? did you use it for speed or bash?

I bash! No speed runs here, the power is there but the speed runs are not my thing.

There was never a heat issue with the TpPower. After 2 full 5000mah 4s packs on my lawn in the summer it barely hit 130 degrees! I had a 14 tooth pinion on it and it did alittle more than 40mph. It had so much potential. I wasnt using half of the motor.
No heat issues whatsoever and im OCD.

Once and awhile I'll go to the track with my son so he can practice but I'm a basher

Thats exactly how I RC! Bash around everywhere....

I take my 2 sons to the track to practice also, its an indoor track 10th scale size. I bought a couple Associated B5M's for the track because its easier to have a couple track buggies that drive great. But we are in the yard or park 99% of the time.

Well guys, I took my 4070 1700kv TpPower motor out and put the XO-1 traxxas version of the Castle 1717 (1650kv) in. Only ran 1 pack thru it and i feel like the TP is more motor.

I have to run more packs before i really know for sure (and a little tuning). I know the Castle should be a perfect size and match for the truck. I will tweak the esc a bit as i run some more packs, and i will post my thoughts and temps, pinion size.

I sold the TpPower motor...... that was a BAD idea i feel. I have no idea why i did that.... i lovd that motor. But i do feel the Castle 1717 will be equally great. I only ran the one pack. I hope the weather is clear tomorrow!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back