Fireteam Engineer's Fireteam Experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineer

🦄💩
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
Since @SrC and @slick2500 made their own build threads, might as well consolidate my experiences in one thread.

I picked up two Fireteams. One where I got the local Hobbytown to match the Horizon/Tower Hobbies sale prices of $399 in black and I was able to cash in on the Tower Hobbies 15% coupon mess up and order a second one in white for $339:

receipt.png

-------

On the first Fireteam, my tear down found that both droop screw holes are stripped on the front arms and one droop screw hold was stripped on the rear arm. One tire also had a slash/puncture in the sidewall.

Diffs weren’t too bad although the center diff was a little dry.

Sent photos and videos off to Horizon and they’ve already agreed to send replacement parts so I can’t be upset about that.

I decided to make the following upgrades:

1) Upgrade the M4 button head droop screws to actual droop screws. I noticed on my most recent Typhon that Arrma has been using M4 button head screws with washers underneath them to set the droop instead of using the grub screws. I guess this saves on the wear on the chassis, but whomever is putting the button head screws is really cranking down on them and stripping the holes
2) Upgrade the steering tube from a fixed V4 to an adjustable V3. Nice that the Fireteam already comes with the EXB spring.
3) Upgrade the braces to m2c. These have the locator features that are absent on the Arrma EXB braces. Was able to catch the Thanksgiving sale.
4) Upgrade the flanged button head motor mount screws to flanged M4 SHCS from McMaster carr
5) I added fiber washers underneath all the screws on the body. Hopefully this will reduce tear-out of the Lexan pieces. I may replace them with longer screws and nylock nuts if I notice them pulling out of the roll cage

4B453417-0EE1-4C1C-9A29-B476ACA94F59.jpeg

6) Replaced the stock system with a MAX6 combo and used a m2c ESC mount (which provides a place for the switch)
7) Replaced the stock Ackerman with an m2c
8) Replace the RTR servo with a 35kg generic servo
9) Ditch the handbrake system
10) Replaced the 23T servo arm with Hot Racing's direct drive CNC servo arm. Hadn't seen this option before and I like it. A little more simplistic than their aluminum fixed link setup (https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=AON48E25;c=1535)
11) Replaced various button head screws with socket head screws where possible

I like the Fireteam guys so I'll be keeping them for now.

Here are the threads that pulled out of the arms:
Fireteam Front Arm Stripped Threads.jpg

and the puncture in the tire:

Arrma Gouged Tire 2.jpg

The warranty claim with Arrma was painless. Sent an email with all the information they requested and they had the parts shipped out to me in no time:

6707710F-7EDB-430C-8EAA-F2182D4CDD9A.jpeg
EAEF5036-0165-4233-82D6-1574DA2D7A80.jpeg

Also I stole @SrC 's idea of sleeving the aluminum tower-to-tower brace with a carbon fiber tube. Cheap and will hopefully work well:

9D1AFB4C-C71F-4E80-866C-D1641E8B1B27.jpeg

0018A7F7-376F-4AF8-8E43-799E30DEFA4B.jpeg

With the m2c ESC plate and the body locating pylon - you have to mount the switch as inboard as possible or else the ring on the body doesn't sit all the way down.

The cat seems rather impressed with my wrenching:

5D99F32F-6523-4809-8226-449276E47FF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, you didn't spare any coin with upgrades.
:love: That HR servo arm is a deal for sure. (y) Half the price of an Arrma 25 spline arm.
And you got the best deal on your FT. You killed it.:LOL:
HB gotta go.
What radio are you using?
SLT3 is well.... not feeling it. I have the DX5C that I can bind with the Stocker Rx. in DSMR mode. Not my fav. radio but might as well use the stocker Rx. that's in there.
My NB4 would be the better choice. IDK.

Last edited:
:love: That HR servo arm is a deal for sure. (y) Half the price of an Arrma 25 spline arm.
HB gotta go.
SLT3 is well.... not feeling it. I have the DX5C that I can bind with the Stocker Rx. in DSMR mode. Not my fav. radio but might as well use the stocker Rx. that's in there.

Thanks! I try to put the best in within reason (buy once, cry once)

I'm using a DX5 Pro. For better or worse, I'm too invested in the Spektrum ecosystem. Blame Jenny's for having cheap SR315 receivers along with 6s vehicles coming stock with them now. It works well enough for me. I use Futaba for my pseudo speedrunners but Spektrum hasn't done me wrong with the SR series in my bashers.

HB gotta go.
The SLT3 does feel pretty cheap, even compared to the old TTX300.

If anything, running DSMR protocol in the stocker Rx is better. Using the DX5C or better Spektrum radios.
TTX300 feels better in the hand and feels heavier and substantial. Ironically, @Rich Duperbash can bash with the SLT3 out the box, no issues. :unsure: So how bad can it be?:LOL:

If anything, running DSMR protocol in the stocker Rx is better. Using the DX5C or better Spektrum radios.
TTX300 feels better in the hand and feels heavier and substantial. Ironically, @Rich Duperbash can bash with the SLT3 out the box, no issues. :unsure: So how bad can it be?:LOL:
It doesn't look like a bad radio it just feels cheap and small. I haven't had a chance to test it yet as I don't have any more XT90 connectors, at least none that aren't attached to an esc already. I'll give it a chance and if I end up not liking it I always have the DX5C.

HB gotta go.
I decided to try an Amazon cheapo servo arm cuz I was already on there getting a servo, didn't even think of looking at the HR one. Eh it was only $11 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZLLCXWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
If you guys ever need a spare SLT3, I have a box full of ‘em! 😆
I have a spare TTX300 that I could use too I suppose.

As you know I like my DS3235 servos. Not the most precise, but fast on 7.4v BEC and strong. But they come with 25 spl clamping servo arms. I found that I was able to fit it to the FT with a 3-4 mm spacer/standoff under the forward end of the link. Keepinhg the link level. You might have one there already? IDK. I usually can't fit these clamps properly on the Typhon, Noto or Kraton. But on the FT and Mojave the servo is oriented so it works. If you want one I can mail it to you. I have like 6 of them here. More than I need or will use. This servo arm has the needed 20mm spacing spline to eye. Like the stocker arm.
Disregard if you already ordered it.

20221211_230938.jpg

20221211_230925.jpg

Last edited:
As you know I like my DS3235 servos. Not the most precise, but fast on 7.4v BEC and strong. But they come with 25 spl clamping servo arms. I found that I was able to fit it to the FT with a 3-4 mm spacer/standoff under the forward end of the link. Keepinhg the link level. You might have one there already? IDK. I usually can't fit these clamps properly on the Typhon, Noto or Kraton. But on the FT and Mojave the servo is oriented so it works. If you want one I can mail it to you. I have like 6 of them here. More than I need or will use. This servo arm has the needed 20mm spacing spline to eye. Like the stocker arm.
Disregard if you already ordered it.

View attachment 262094

View attachment 262095

Yeah I ordered it along with the DS3235SG Pro servo.
Now I am trying to find a 5mm hex M3x22.5 standoff. Closest I have found is a 4mm hex M3x22 standoff. Short story long I broke a screw off in one of the standoffs on my EXB servo mount when I put in the Bluebird servo. I don't want to buy yet another servo mount when all I need is a standoff.
-edit- I found that Arrma actually sells them as a separate part https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/aluminum-servo-mount-posts-4/ARA320651.html

The SLT3 does feel pretty cheap, even compared to the old TTX300.
My buddy and I really like the SLT3, comfortable, decent range, good performance.
On the first Fireteam, my tear down found that both droop screw holes are stripped on the front arms and one droop screw hold was stripped on the rear arm. One tire also had a slash/puncture in the sidewall.

Diffs weren’t too bad although the center diff was a little dry.

Sent photos and videos off to Horizon and they’ve already agreed to send replacement parts so I can’t be upset about that.

I decided to make the following upgrades:

1) Upgrade the M4 button head droop screws to actual droop screws. I noticed on my most recent Typhon that Arrma has been using M4 button head screws with washers underneath them to set the droop instead of using the grub screws. I guess this saves on the wear on the chassis, but whomever is putting the button head screws is really cranking down on them and stripping the holes
2) Upgrade the steering tube from a fixed V4 to an adjustable V3. Nice that the Fireteam already comes with the EXB spring.
3) Upgrade the braces to m2c. These have the locator features that are absent on the Arrma EXB braces. Was able to catch the Thanksgiving sale.
4) Upgrade the flanged button head motor mount screws to flanged M4 SHCS from McMaster carr
5) I added fiber washers underneath all the screws on the body. Hopefully this will reduce tear-out of the Lexan pieces. I may replace them with longer screws and nylock nuts if I notice them pulling out of the roll cage

View attachment 262059

6) Replaced the stock system with a MAX6 combo and used a m2c ESC mount (which provides a place for the switch)
7) Replaced the stock Ackerman with an m2c
8) Replace the RTR servo with a 35kg generic servo
9) Ditch the handbrake system
10) Replaced the 23T servo arm with Hot Racing's direct drive CNC servo arm. Hadn't seen this option before and I like it. A little more simplistic than their aluminum fixed link setup (https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=AON48E25;c=1535)
11) Replaced various button head screws with socket head screws where possible

I like the Fireteam guys so I'll be keeping them for now.

Here are the threads that pulled out of the arms:
Nice Work!

Did you end up painting red fiber washers black? All I found on a quick search was red ones, do you think moisture will take them out?

My buddy and I really like the SLT3, comfortable, decent range, good performance.

Nice Work!

Did you end up painting red fiber washers black? All I found on a quick search was red ones, do you think moisture will take them out?

I'm sure it works fine, not a fan of how cheap it feels but I will at least give it a chance.

These were black and already in my stash - unfortunately I can't remember where they were sourced from. As far as the moisture issue, I guess we'll see. If they do degrade, I saw some thin nylon washers available on Amazon and may try those out.

Yeah I ordered it along with the DS3235SG Pro servo.
Now I am trying to find a 5mm hex M3x22.5 standoff. Closest I have found is a 4mm hex M3x22 standoff. Short story long I broke a screw off in one of the standoffs on my EXB servo mount when I put in the Bluebird servo. I don't want to buy yet another servo mount when all I need is a standoff.
-edit- I found that Arrma actually sells them as a separate part https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/aluminum-servo-mount-posts-4/ARA320651.html
If the link is a mere 1mm off level, you are ok. But a washer or 2 with a shorty standoff, will get it just right. I know you got this.
You eat this RC stuff for breakfast.:LOL:
Isn't it silly that Arrma gets like $18.00 for their 25 spline serv arm/Horn.:rolleyes: The Spektrum 23 spline which is now standard is less $. They charge more for the OG 25 spl arm.

If the link is a mere 1mm off level, you are ok. But a washer or 2 with a shorty standoff, will get it just right. I know you got this.
You eat this RC stuff for breakfast.:LOL:
Sadly I can buy an Amazon cheapo servo mount for less than the standoffs cost..................... https://www.amazon.com/Aluminium-Steering-Kraton-Senton-Outcast/dp/B07V5WQ2NW/ref=sr_1_103?crid=36362LTRTTZ61&keywords=arrma+aluminum+servo+mount&qid=1670867765&sprefix=arrma+aluminum+servo+mount,aps,107&sr=8-103

I had bacon, 2 eggs over easy, toast and a glass of oj for breakfast. :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back