entering speed running world help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubLRRLIFE!8887

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Typhon 6s
so im almost done with my typhon xl 8s starting to dial stuff in my first speed rig, that im serious about speed ! now to my problem, i have to clue what to use for tx/rx and what to use for extended range antena.
please any links product numbers will be appriciated as i don't know where to start !
i was going to run spektrum tx/rx and i know its going to hinder my progress, plus i never see any serouis speed running using spektrum electronics
i need the following:
transmitter price range $300-600
receiver price rage?? whats a good one cost?
and last but not least long range anntena price??? whats a good one cost??
please links or product numbers i ask to the arrma family for help to reach top speed!

In that price range you have a lot of options. A lot of people really like the Flysky Noble NB4 (a little over $200). I'm a Futaba man myself and run a 7PXR (should be able to find it for around $500). Futaba has a newer Tx out called the 10PX which @dk10438 runs and is very happy with (round about $600 if I'm not mistaken). They typically include receivers and can be had in many places, just use some Google-Fu to find the best price you can.

I've been getting a range of at least 1000ft without a range booster with my 7PXR (I haven't done a definitive range test at my location yet - range will be location specific so best practice is to do a test where you're running as things like power lines and other things can have an effect on your range; do as I say, not as I do :)) and I'm pretty sure it can go a good bit further.

If you want a range booster, here's one to get you pointed in the right direction.

Yes there are cheaper options that are worth mentioning. The Radiolink RC6GS has an 1800ft range, I just don't like how the transmitter feels in my hand. But that's a personal thing.

Hope this helps :)

In that price range you have a lot of options. A lot of people really like the Flysky Noble NB4 (a little over $200). I'm a Futaba man myself and run a 7PXR (should be able to find it for around $500). Futaba has a newer Tx out called the 10PX which @dk10438 runs and is very happy with (round about $600 if I'm not mistaken). They typically include receivers and can be had in many places, just use some Google-Fu to find the best price you can.

I've been getting a range of at least 1000ft without a range booster with my 7PXR (I haven't done a definitive range test at my location yet - range will be location specific so best practice is to do a test where you're running as things like power lines and other things can have an effect on your range; do as I say, not as I do :)) and I'm pretty sure it can go a good bit further.

If you want a range booster, here's one to get you pointed in the right direction.

Yes there are cheaper options that are worth mentioning. The Radiolink RC6GS has an 1800ft range, I just don't like how the transmitter feels in my hand. But that's a personal thing.

thank you kind sir finally i feel like i got the last missing puzzle i owe you lunch! so do you recommend to try the tx/rx before doing booster stuff to it??
thank you kind sir finally i feel like i got the last missing puzzle i owe you lunch! so do you recommend to try the tx/rx before doing booster stuff to it??
oh question can i run booster on noble and futaba?

oh question can i run booster on noble and futaba?
My pleasure. Yeah, I'd give it a go without a booster for starters. Be safer than I am and do a proper range test, but I suspect the range should be sufficient. One other thing worth mentioning: should you decide on the Noble NB4, you can increase the range of the receiver by adding a second antenna. If you open up the case of the Rx, there's a port where you can plug in a second antenna for true diversity.

The NB4 has a reported range of over 3000ft by adding the second antenna, so no range booster should be needed. That's well beyond visual range. The Futaba you can definitely hook a range booster up to. I've had one on mine, I just had the misfortune of breaking it when the Tx unclipped itself from my lanyard. I've seen range tests with the 7PXR where they went past visual range without a range booster as well.

Last edited:
My pleasure. Yeah, I'd give it a go without a booster for starters. Be safer than I am and do a proper range test, but I suspect the range should be sufficient. One other thing worth mentioning: should you decide on the Noble NB4, you can increase the range of the receiver by adding a second antenna. If you open up the case of the Rx, there's a port where you can plug in a second antenna for true diversity.

The NB4 has a reported range of over 3000ft by adding the second antenna, so no range booster should be needed. That's well beyond visual range. The Futaba you can definitely hook a range booster up to. I've had one on mine, I just had the misfortune of breaking it when the Tx unclipped itself from my lanyard. I've seen range tests with the 7PXR where they went past visual range without a range booster as well.
good man thank you i feel like i just need to order and im ready .
where can i get the second antenna for the rx? i think im going with the nb4 price point is good, i can save so i can buy fancy parts lol so any rx i can do this to ?..including nb4 rx?
again where can i buy this if possible< link would be great thanks man very helpful this is the 2nd 3rd time you put me on the right path ! def getting an xmas card lol

+1 for the noble nb4, really nice quality radio for the price- feels solid in my hands. After I added the 2nd antenna to my rx I can get pretty much out of visual range before I lose control. Another really nice feature it has is throttle & steering timing, which I use both when speed running. You can adjust the throttle timing to say, 6 or 7 seconds & it acts like a perfect pass unit- giving you a perfectly linear throttle pull

good man thank you i feel like i just need to order and im ready .
where can i get the second antenna for the rx? i think im going with the nb4 price point is good, i can save so i can buy fancy parts lol so any rx i can do this to ?..including nb4 rx?
again where can i buy this if possible< link would be great thanks man very helpful this is the 2nd 3rd time you put me on the right path ! def getting an xmas card lol
I know you can do it with the Rx the NB4 comes with. You'd have to check out specifics about others. I'm not aware of many others that have a second antenna port.

If this is too many antennas or you want a different length, this should get you pointed in the right direction to continue your search.
https://amz.run/5tRR
1661536367698.png

Whatever antenna you decide on buying, measure the length of the tip of the Rx and make sure the unshielded portion of the second antenna matches it. You can just trim it or unshield more as needed.

My vote.. NOBLE NB4
I’ve gone through a few different brands…
Futuba used to be my go to brand and has been every time… but the 4pm left a terrible impression on me I tried the dual antenna etc. everything but range booster, but it is pretty sad that the radiolink could go twice as far… I can’t speak for the 7px or 10… but after dumping close to $500 in gear. I sold it at a total loss..
spekturm is what you would expect. Sold that too…

Noble NB4 hasn’t given me one issue. Dual antenna and I have plenty of range without a booster as of for now! @LicketySplit has a boosted NB4 and hasn’t complained about range either. I like the fact that it has a channel speed 1 sec to 10 seconds for speed runs instead of buying more stuff like the Raz perfect pass.. along with the fact that you can add telemetry for example.. I use the temperature sensor on my runners my badgers use to get the voltage monitor

My vote.. NOBLE NB4
Futuba used to be my go to brand and has been every time… but the 4pm left a terrible impression on me I tried the dual antenna etc. everything but range booster, but it is pretty sad that the radiolink could go twice as far… I can’t speak for the 7px or 10… but after dumping close to $500 in gear. I sold it at a total loss..

Noble NB4 hasn’t given me one issue. Dual antenna and I have plenty of range without a booster as of for now! @LicketySplit has a boosted NB4 and hasn’t complained about range either. I like the fact that it has a channel speed 1 sec to 10 seconds for speed runs instead of buying more stuff like the Raz perfect pass.. along with the fact that you can add telemetry for example.. I use the temperature sensor on my runners my badgers use to get the voltage monitor
Yeah the 4PMs range is notoriously poor from everything I've seen and read. I've had no issues with the 7PXR so far.

Another vote for Nb4. Or should I say I haven't had any problems with range yet but I haven't really sent it that far. If its that bad I still have my Raidolink to use but I won't be happy about it. :)

Last edited:
+1 for the noble nb4, really nice quality radio for the price- feels solid in my hands. After I added the 2nd antenna to my rx I can get pretty much out of visual range before I lose control. Another really nice feature it has is throttle & steering timing, which I use both when speed running. You can adjust the throttle timing to say, 6 or 7 seconds & it acts like a perfect pass unit- giving you a perfectly linear throttle pull
thank you!
you have sealed the deal for me nb4 it is!
thank you brother for tips as well love this forum!
My vote.. NOBLE NB4

im a fan of you limitless good sir thanks appriciate it
all the help from older guys as well new guys i feel like i have an educated buy which i love no surprises there!
I know you can do it with the Rx the NB4 comes with. You'd have to check out specifics about others. I'm not aware of many others that have a second antenna port.

If this is too many antennas or you want a different length, this should get you pointed in the right direction to continue your search.
https://amz.run/5tRR
1661536367698.png

Whatever antenna you decide on buying, measure the length of the tip of the Rx and make sure the unshielded portion of the second antenna matches it. You can just trim it or unshield more as needed.
yes!!!!!!
Another vote for Nb4. Or should I say I haven't had any problems with range yet but I haven't really sent it that far. If its that bad I still have my Raidolink to use but I won't be happy about it. :)
nice lim !

Last edited:
Personally I love the 10px. I range tested today on the stock and I got 900+ feet. Was too lazy to find the max distance. Innovation rc has a nice video where you can add a range booster and get some insane distance.

Personally I’m not cracking my 600 dollar radio open. Keep in mind, at 800 feet the car is already becoming difficult to orient.

Noble is supposed to be a good radio but range may be inadequate? Need to verify with someone who uses it….

I love the 10px and love the tele. I’m running castle telemetry and futaba temp sensor for the motor.
Another great feature is the sbus…
If u get a futaba servo u can program the neutral posisfion, end points, other parameters of the servo. Add on a gyc441 servo you will be set!

Last edited:

Discussing transmitters is a bit like talking religion. Everyone has their own opinion ... or maybe two. I have the Radiolink and it's good. I also have a Flysky GT5 and the range is not stellar probably near 200 yard max. I would expect similar results from the NB4.

For what it's worth, I can barely see my car's orientation beyond 300-400 yard anyway. I'm not sure how Raz runs it on a mile long runway? Maybe I need a brighter paint scheme.

The Radiolink interface is not as slick as the FlySky or the Futaba, but it works well and is dirt cheap. There is also the Dumbo RC (http://www.dumborc.com/en/) which is a cost reduced version of the Radiolink with a range ofr 400-500 meters. I've never used one.

Radiolink range test

Futaba 7PX range test

Flysky GT5

Range booster on Futaba

TBH,
if range and budget are the primary concerns, it would be pretty hard to beat radiolink. I think it's pretty much accepted that radiolink (and dumborc made by radiolink) have the best range out of the box. That being said, the transmitter is really the only part of the car that I'm directly interacting with so feel, appearance, and features are important to me. And it is something that can be used for multiple models so it really is more of an investment. A couple of things about the futaba.

Both the 10Px and 7Px are compatible with a couple of the receivers used for aerial use. (see video speed secrets from Raz) and the futaba compatiblity chart. These receivers have increased range over their surface counterparts but no telemetry....

The 7px can also use FASST protocol receivers which is a more robust than the TFHSS protocol used for most of the other hobby products. FASAST is supposed to be faster and increased range?? someone would need to fact check this statement but I think the aerial people prefer FASST over FHSS. The 10px has replaced FASST compatibility with the F-4G protocol and I think that just improves precision and tele features ( no range or speed improvements)

Futaba is great but spendy but I haven't regretted my decision one bit.

bumping this, I have a flysky GT3B, would just a range extender be sufficient? also what is everyone running for batteries? My QS8 connectors showed up today.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back