ESC and Motor Wires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyFromCanada

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
It appears the majority of ESCs and motors are designed where the ESC and motor both have moderate lengths of wire attached. Castle Creations and Hobbywing in many cases have zero wire on the ESC and long wire on the motor.

Is this something I should be concerned about as far as buying replacement motors in the future? I could buy/make extensions I suppose, but that is probably frowned upon :(

I wouldn’t worry about it. In most cases, they will already have a banana plug on each to plug into the esc. I think it’s just manufacturing preference. In my humble opinion.

As long as you use high quality wire of the same gauge and connectors, I couldn't see it being much of a problem to extend them if need be. The longer a wire is though, the less current it can pass through safely. Granted, anything under a foot should be ok as long as you stick with the same AWG.

Okay, so no keel-haul if I extend wires...good :) It's just me thinking about it too much...I don't have the hardware yet.

As long as you use high quality wire of the same gauge and connectors, I couldn't see it being much of a problem to extend them if need be. The longer a wire is though, the less current it can pass through safely. Granted, anything under a foot should be ok as long as you stick with the same AWG.
So if the AWG on my motor is 10AWG any wire I add to lengthen it should be 10AWG?

So if my motor wires are 10awg w 8.00mm bullet connectors that my local hobby shop soldered, my extensions @6inches to reach the esc should also be 10awg? What happens if the extension wires are same connector and 8awg? Can that be a potential disaster?

Good god man. This thread had been dead for over 5 years.

But to answer your question, the wire should be the same gauge or larger. So yes you will be fine with 8g. Going bigger won't hurt but going smaller will as it increases the resistance. Think of it like a garden hose. If you patch 2 1 inch hoses with a 2 inch hose you won't notice any difference in water flow, but if you stuck a 1/2" hose in place of the 2" you would notice a reduction in flow.

The cable diameter and length determine the voltage drop over the cable.

A 6 inch 10awg cable, running 100amps and 12v has a voltage drop of 0.1 volt.
With 8awg it is 0.06 volt, personally I would extend with 8 awg, but 10awg is fine.

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/voltage-drop-calculator.html

Screenshot_20231105_092342_Chrome.jpg

That’s what I did I went with 8awg wire and the extension is about 8” long
Now I am intrigued as to what it is you are putting this in that the esc is that far away from the motor.

Now I am intrigued as to what it is you are putting this in that the esc is that far away from the motor.
It’s in a limitless v2 I put everything where the stock motor mount is. The tp wires were short and I had to turn the motor w the wires away from the esc in order for it to fit without any modifications

72093060054__D83BE6E3-D1E3-46AD-BBF8-B9EA10DDD9E4.jpeg

The 6” extensions were coming up short and would likely be pulling out the esc

It’s in a limitless v2 I put everything where the stock motor mount is. The tp wires were short and I had to turn the motor w the wires away from the esc in order for it to fit without any modifications

View attachment 330731

The 6” extensions were coming up short and would likely be pulling out the esc

Dang those are about as short as the Arrma motor wires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back