ESC blx85 Overheat - kills Rx?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northeastflyer

live free or die
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Talion
stopped responding throttle and str
noticed fan wasnt moving
shut off
turned on, thr and str worked
turned off
came home
took fan out
unplugged motor to help make it easier to get out
turn on car
new fan spins, very fast
esc blinks green once
then red blinking.
the Tx and Rx are not bound
tried to rebind. Rx no lights... seems dead.
switched old (stock) Tx and Rx
works....
so when the esc overheated it fried the Rx?

Damn. That was a 6100AT.

What’s cheaper I can bind my dx5c to?

any thoughts?

Never heard of an overheated ESC damaging anything than itself.

If the orange light comes on your RX is most likely fine. If not I'd check if the ESC is actually outputting any voltage to the ESC.
Try binding it a couple times,

It is a little tricky to bind and they released an update to fix that issue, among others.
You will need a programming cable though.

Any DSM receiver from any company will do. The SR215 or SR315 are Spektrum receivers that will work.

Never heard of an overheated ESC damaging anything than itself.

If the orange light comes on your RX is most likely fine. If not I'd check if the ESC is actually outputting any voltage to the ESC.
Try binding it a couple times,

It is a little tricky to bind and they released an update to fix that issue, among others.
You will need a programming cable though.

Any DSM receiver from any company will do. The SR215 or SR315 are Spektrum receivers that will work.

Hmm. No orange light at all.

Do you have a DMM or any way to verify that the ESC is still generating a BEC voltage? Other Rx maybe?

Thank you for the reply.

I put the stock Rx in and all systems are go. At least on the bench w raised wheels.

My gut says blx185 ESC is on it’s way out from that overheat.. as it can’t handle the more powerful Rx (6100AT) - I could be wrong.... but there is no even hint at the 6100AT showing an orange light.

It was weird tho because when I tested it before I came home after I let it cool - I did have str and thr w rhe 6100AT (which i tested for less than a second to be safe)- but at home it’s dead.

So to be clear the “dead” Rx is the 6100AT.

Stock seems to work. From the bench. haven't drove her since the bench test.

Thank you for the reply.

I put the stock Rx in and all systems are go. At least on the bench w raised wheels.

My gut says blx185 ESC is on it’s way out from that overheat.. as it can’t handle the more powerful Rx (6100AT) - I could be wrong.... but there is no even hint at the 6100AT showing an orange light.

It was weird tho because when I tested it before I came home after I let it cool - I did have str and thr w rhe 6100AT (which i tested for less than a second to be safe)- but at home it’s dead.

So to be clear the “dead” Rx is the 6100AT.

Stock seems to work. From the bench. haven't drove her since the bench test.
I think something was shorted for too long and fried the receiver. My dumborc got shorted out a lot becauses of the stupid fan positive and negative touching each other on the solder joins inside the fan i fixed that but the job is so sketchy its now on my typhon but the receiver survived?

I think something was shorted for too long and fried the receiver. My dumborc got shorted out a lot becauses of the stupid fan positive and negative touching each other on the solder joins inside the fan i fixed that but the job is so sketchy its now on my typhon but the receiver survived?
wow weird... what would of shorted your remote?

attached the fans aftermath.

this is what i get for playing in sand...

Attachments

• 33A491A2-C28B-4FAF-92AB-B2CF09F84E83.jpeg
    33A491A2-C28B-4FAF-92AB-B2CF09F84E83.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 15708430-3AE1-4697-8991-2F4F8BC03889.jpeg
    15708430-3AE1-4697-8991-2F4F8BC03889.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 33
You have to get a DSM2 or DSMR receiver. DSM will not work.

Is it under warranty?
Why? Easy, for me, the heading hold is a must, I can never get the trim right, whatever I do and that drives me ??

Edit: I did read in other threads that some people had issues with them going bad. Might as well give HH a call, nothing to loose.

Is it under warranty?
Why? Easy, for me, the heading hold is a must, I can never get the trim right, whatever I do and that drives me ??

Edit: I did read in other threads that some people had issues with them going bad. Might as well give HH a call, nothing to loose.

Right on. Thanks. I bought it knowing it was good but I was just too novice too appreciate the features it has. That is def worth a shot. I just sent them an email - don't really have the time this weekend at least right now to be on the phone. I called them once before and it took 40 mins to speak to someone.

Oh yes, I never call, email is the way to go. I had an issue yesterday and they replied within 5 minutes, shipping a replacement for a servo on a plane.
Today is Saturday though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back