ESC cutting out at full throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMightyAtom

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
I have an old BLX 85 ESC (from circa 2015 or so) that I popped into my Traxxas Hoss combined with a 3800 KV motor. Running on 3S, which it should be able to handle just fine.

The ESC works just fine in all situations except full-throttle. If I pull the trigger the whole way, the power cuts out sporadically as the vehicle is accelerating.

I thought at first that the issue might be the radio and receiver, so I swapped those out. Still the same issue. I can only conclude it's an ESC issue.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Is it just time for me to get a new ESC?

I have an old BLX 85 ESC (from circa 2015 or so) that I popped into my Traxxas Hoss combined with a 3800 KV motor. Running on 3S, which it should be able to handle just fine.

The ESC works just fine in all situations except full-throttle. If I pull the trigger the whole way, the power cuts out sporadically as the vehicle is accelerating.

I thought at first that the issue might be the radio and receiver, so I swapped those out. Still the same issue. I can only conclude it's an ESC issue.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Is it just time for me to get a new ESC?
Have you checked each cell of your lipo? I had the same once and discovered one cell went bad. It was a bad cell, but I was trying an aggressive gearing with new big, heavy tires.

Full throttle will ask for amps, it could hit the amp limit of the esc or the lvc as the battery sags. But in those cases the protection mode will kick in.
So i agree with Sandracer it could be a bad cell that only acts up under load.

I've tried multiple batteries, with the same result.

Unless all my batteries somehow went bad simultaneously.....

There are 2 reasons an ESC will hit cut-off.

1. Amperage limits. (can be more dramatic after a gearing change attempting to get more speed, or heavier rig, tires etc)
2. Low voltage cut off (battery sags under load and ESC protects)

What gauge wiring at each step? Have you inspected all the solder joints / connectors?
It's just the default wiring that comes with the batteries and the ESCs. I have no issue running these same batteries in my Tenacity MT or my Losi 3XLe, which is why I'm thinking the ESC is the issue.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back