ESC for TP Power 4070 2200kv?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shroobs

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So i have this 1/8th scale truggy that i converted from nitro to brushless. It has a 2200kv TP power 4070 in it. I bought a surpass hobby 150a 6s ESC for it and a pair of 7000mah 3s LiPos.

The ESC blew up about 5 minutes. Lesson learned. Since then the car has sort of sat in a corner.

Fast forward to now and i want to get it up and running again. I would like it to run without it instantly blowing up.

What ESC can you recommend for such a high-KV motor that won't blow up?

I plan to run 6s off road with truggy tyres. Maybe some bashing here and there as well.

PS: i might mention that i have a budget of $200-$250 :)

P_20220619_142347.jpg

Screenshot_20220724-155739297.jpg

Hobbywing MAX6 will do the job. Castle is also a good option. Even a Jenny’s Spek150/160 would work fine. Spek150 has 4mm bullets so maybe not the 150. Stay away from the surpass china trash for esc.

Hobbywing MAX6 will do the job. Castle is also a good option. Even a Jenny’s Spek150/160 would work fine. Spek150 has 4mm bullets so maybe not the 150. Stay away from the surpass china trash for esc.
What about a Max 5? A guy in another thread said something that a Max5 would be redlining before the motor even gets warm.
Technically a Max5 should be fine, but i don't want to take a risk

What about a Max 5? A guy in another thread said something that a Max5 would be redlining before the motor even gets warm.
Technically a Max5 should be fine, but i don't want to take a risk
How much room do you have for an ESC ?

Max5 would be overkill IMO.

I have that tp motor with a mmx8s and it works great. Funny enough if you posted here before buying that esc we would have saved you from a fire 🤣 Tbh you probably should have got the tp 4070 1700kv for bashing around in a truck. Seems like you just yolo'd everything with zero research but hey that's fun sometimes too haha.

Welcome to the forums!! don't be afraid to ask questions here before you make decisions, we will definitely save you from stuff like this in the future.

Here is a short video of my limitless with Tp 4070CM 2200kv + mmx8s esc.

Last edited:
How much room do you have for an ESC ?

Max5 would be overkill IMO.
I took a quick four hour trip to Wheelspin models and picked up a HW Max6 and som xt90 connectors (i was running Deans before lol)

I think it will be fine, and if not the over current protection should (hopefully) save me haha.

On the HW website they say that the M6 should run no more than 1500kv at 6s. Is this something i should worry about?

Edit: I saw that this applies to "Motor size:5892". Is my TP power larger or smaller than the size they specify?

Screenshot_20220802-013932579 (1).jpg

I took a quick four hour trip to Wheelspin models and picked up a HW Max6 and som xt90 connectors (i was running Deans before lol)

I think it will be fine, and if not the over current protection should (hopefully) save me haha.

On the HW website they say that the M6 should run no more than 1500kv at 6s. Is this something i should worry about?

Edit: I saw that this applies to "Motor size:5892". Is my TP power larger or smaller than the size they specify?

View attachment 233459
You will be fine if you're just bashing and not trying to speed run.

Good. Thanks for the reassurance.

I might do some short runs with the Hoon tyres i bought, but it will mostly be bashing👍
I think the max6 can get you to like 115 mph or so. But if you gear too aggressively it will cut out at full throttle due to the amp limiting. Any faster than that and you will need a castle mmx8s or xlx2. 😎 👍

you probably should have got the tp 4070 1700kv for bashing around in a truck
Digging up an old thread here but I'm not too familiar with TP motors. Why would you recommend the 1700kv over the 2200kv? Would the 2200kv overheat with bashing?

Digging up an old thread here but I'm not too familiar with TP motors. Why would you recommend the 1700kv over the 2200kv? Would the 2200kv overheat with bashing?

I know you were responding to @Moirae but I'll add my opinions too.
We see many 6s owners try to put in a 2200kv motor then later realize it runs a little on the hot side. This is more common with heavier rigs.

A 2200kv is actually pretty darn good on 4s. Although the stock Arrma motor is noted as a 2050 kv it actually tests on the motor tested around 1915kv.

In general the higher kv the more amperage it will draw and require less voltage. So if you want to stick with 6s in a heavier rig then a 1650-1900 seems to be the sweet spot for bashers.

^
what he said!! the 1700 is great too! probably my favorite tp motor tbh. I do have higher kv rigs I bash with but they're all on road rigs. I have the 2200kv in my stretched typhon for example and it does great in there. I tried the 1700 in there originally and I was amazed at how much cooler it ran even when geared for similar speeds.

I remember I tested the 1700 in there first because the 2200 was in the mail lol. I was so surprised at the temps and I remember when I put the 2200 in there, I had a touch of disappointment because the temps just didn't compare. I still left the 2200 in there though but yea there was a nice difference.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back