Granite ESC in Protection Mode at Start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AimlessRC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I don't know if it's low voltage or over heating... but on my Granite BLX 3S with any 2S or 3S battery installed it dies on full throttle.

I'm talking battery fresh off the charger, cold car, plug it in, turn it on, gun it = protection mode. Car comes to a stop, I wiggle the steering left and right, it comes out of protection mode... then gun it again... protection mode.

The only way it works is under 25% throttle once it runs around a bit I can punch it to 100% with no issues.

Almost like the ESC needs to warm up.

I have no mechanical binding... I did run it in the snow a couple times and it was pretty wet, but I fully dried it with compressed air and set it by the wood stove over night both times.

Wondering if I cooked my ESC.

Last edited:
It is a possibility that its hurt, do both your fans function properly? A shorted fan can wreak havoc on the esc.. I assume the truck ran fine before the snow outing?
Throttle calibration is good and throttle trim knob is centered?

Check the wires for esc and servo and see if they are pinched anywhere.

Wires are fine. Throttle cal multiple times properly. Throttle trim at 0% (using a FlySky radio).

Only 1 fan on the ESC and it's working fine.

Never had these problems before it got wet.

No fan on the 4s motor? Is the bec servo lead still there for the motor fan? If it is, it's not shorted? Sounds like it got a little to wet.. they say they are waterproof, but far from with open bec connections..

This is a Granite 3S... only one ESC fan, just a heat-sync on the motor.

I hate to say it... but I think you're right... time to upgrade to 4S! Lol.
I think the confusion is from your first post you said you had a Granite 4s, I just assumed that you were running the BLX120 esc in your Granite.

I think the confusion is from your first post you said you had a Granite 4s, I just assumed that you were running the BLX120 esc in your Granite.

Sorry, edited.

I charged up a couple other batteries and narrowed it down to 2 of my 2S batteries causing the issue. I popped one open and it's definitely damaged, damaged, and a bit puffy. Kind of a dumb design especially with the narrow foam pads on the bottom of the battery
20200101_143143.jpg
20200101_143133.jpg
20200101_142836.jpg
20200101_143119.jpg
... might steer away from this brand in the future.

See pics.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back