Infraction Esc/motor combo question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T4H1T1

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my stock esc in my infraction v2 gave out and I’m thinking about ordering the max6 and potentially just getting the 4985sl motor combo while I’m at it. What gearing should I use with that combo? What speeds can I expect to get staying at 6s

The 4985sl is 1650kv vs the 2050kv, so you will need to raise your pinion with a few teeth to reach the same top speed. As the motor is more powerful you can add a lot more teeth as long as it stays cool and your amp draw doesn't reach the 200A max of the max6. Start with 22T and go up slowly.
My guess is that with a 28T pinion you probably end up around 90mph

If speed is your aim, i agree with LibertyMKiii, a MMX8S and a TP motor would be a better choice, but more costly as well.

The 4985sl is 1650kv vs the 2050kv, so you will need to raise your pinion with a few teeth to reach the same top speed. As the motor is more powerful you can add a lot more teeth as long as it stays cool and your amp draw doesn't reach the 200A max of the max6. Start with 22T and go up slowly.
My guess is that with a 28T pinion you probably end up around 90mph

If speed is your aim, i agree with LibertyMKiii, a MMX8S and a TP motor would be a better choice, but more costly as well.
Ok thanks for that info. So let’s say I did go with mmx8 and a tp motor, what else would I need in order to do that and are there other upgrades I should do if I did go that route? My diffs are shimmed and I went 60/300/30 which feels good to me.

Ok thanks for that info. So let’s say I did go with mmx8 and a tp motor, what else would I need in order to do that and are there other upgrades I should do if I did go that route? My diffs are shimmed and I went 60/300/30 which feels good to me.
You should know that a speed setup should not be bashed. Keep the center diff and small pinion for bashing. Get a Limitless spool on eBay from a breaker like Jenny's RC or another for speed use. (there is one on eBay right now for $59+shipping)

1. Motor choice:
If you are speed running only then I'd say a KV between 1600-2600 kv for 6s use.
If you will be doing some parking lot bashing with it then 1600-2100 kv (2200kv and higher got hot easily with extended use on these heavy/large RC cars)

2. Tire setup (needs to be balanced when you go beyond 100mph)
GRP S1 through S3 for winter and s5 through s7 for summer use.
Bob smith industries IC2000 glue to re-glue tire to wheel.

3. Connectors
Invest in some good connectors with anti-spark. Off shore electrics 8mm anti-spark are the nicest on the market right now.
Cheap batteries wont be good for speed running.

4. LiPos
Top performers in batteries(no specific order):
CNHL Lipos, Turnigy Graphenes, Turnigy Panthers, Turnigy HD, HRB Graphene, SME True Spec Extreme V2 6400 mAh

5. Long range radio:
Futaba with FASST protocol, Radiolink 6 ch with dual antennas, Other with signal booster (search on youTube for how to video).

6. Cooling fan
The motor should have a heatsink and fan on it ideally unless you are running lower kv and conservative gearing on a cool day.

7. Aerodynamic body
Infraction body works great and can get into the 140s with a great setup, but you may want to look at others at some point. Delta Plastiks is the only good option right now.

8. Nice to have list:
-Ceramic bearings
-PPS motor mount
-Scorched RC center drive shafts
-capacitor pack

Last edited:
You should know that a speed setup should not be bashed. Keep the center diff and small pinion for bashing. Get a Limitless spool on eBay from a breaker like Jenny's RC or another for speed use. (there is one on eBay right now for $59+shipping)

1. Motor choice:
If you are speed running only then I'd say a KV between 1600-2600 kv for 6s use.
If you will be doing some parking lot bashing with it then 1600-2100 kv (2200kv and higher got hot easily with extended use on these heavy/large RC cars)

2. Tire setup (needs to be balanced when you go beyond 100mph)
GRP S1 through S3 for winter and s5 through s7 for summer use.
Bob smith industries IC2000 glue to re-glue tire to wheel.

3. Connectors
Invest in some good connectors with anti-spark. Off shore electrics 8mm anti-spark are the nicest on the market right now.
Cheap batteries wont be good for speed running.

4. LiPos
Top performers in batteries(no specific order):
CNHL Lipos, Turnigy Graphenes, Turnigy Panthers, Turnigy HD, HRB Graphene, SME True Spec Extreme V2 6400 mAh

5. Long range radio:
Futaba with FASST protocol, Radiolink 6 ch with dual antennas, Other with signal booster (search on youTube for how to video).

6. Cooling fan
The motor should have a heatsink and fan on it ideally unless you are running lower kv and conservative gearing on a cool day.

7. Aerodynamic body
Infraction body works great and can get into the 140s with a great setup, but you may want to look at others at some point. Delta Plastiks is the only good option right now.

8. Nice to have list:
-PPS motor mount
-Scorched RC center drive shafts
-capacitor pack

Nice sum up, i was just gonna say look at our buildlogs. The limitless is basically the same as in infraction, most limitless build logs are all about speed. And it's all about how far you wanna go in terms of speed. There are many examples on the forum.

Maybe add ceramic/better bearings to the nice to haves

Nice sum up, i was just gonna say look at our buildlogs. The limitless is basically the same as in infraction, most limitless build logs are all about speed. And it's all about how far you wanna go in terms of speed. There are many examples on the forum.

Maybe add ceramic/better bearings to the nice to haves
Added, thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back