ESC\Motor fan covers. How well do they work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
How well do fan covers work? Are some better than others do you have good results keep debris out?

Most all my fans have been swapped for tall 40mm fans or flat aluminum 40mm fans. I put covers on my fans but recently, they have stopped during a bash in dirtly with dead grass, no rocks that was on the Fireteam ESC & motor. I was able to spin free the ESC fan but the motor fan will not come back.

Question:
I bash in mostly dirt so is dirt the real killer?
How well do fan covers work for you to save your fans?

I have not overlooked the obvious that these fans do fail luckly for me I can only count 3-4 of the many RCs I have. I do bash in grass like on the golf course and I do have to stop to wipe grass off the fan covers when the temp gauge goes up so the the fans can take in fresh air, but they are still running.

I have been using these covers:
1658976459032.png

I just got these covers in hopes to keep out most the dirt/grass. It's not as open but I do feel I am not going to be restricting pulling fresh air through the small holes

1658976725624.png

I found them utterly useless in grass or anywhere with leaves. The carbon ones look cool but do nothing but restrict airflow, they would prevent larger rocks from getting in, but smaller ones would still destroy the blades. Grass still gets sucked in or leaves will cover the grill.
Only thing that I got to work is screen mesh. Obviously no need to buy a full roll, but if you do, it will last for a while. Others use alu mesh, same idea. You can always buy smaller repair kits.
I found, if I do NOT pull it tight but leave it a little uneven, that I have fewer issues with leaves. Grass clippings would still plug it up, but they don't get into the fan/cooling fins of the ESC.

https://smile.amazon.com/Windows-Replacement-Durable-Fiberglass-Tooltriz/dp/B093YP514T

I also got those ‘carbon look’ covers. They keep the big stuff out of the fans, but not the smaller stuff like pine needles etc.
Instead of going for a cover with less opening and potentially restricting fan airflow I focus on trying to prevent as much stuff coming in the car in the first place.
Front windshield, mud guards behind the front wheels, cover the spur gear slot and any other unused chassis holes, inner fenders. It doesn’t keep all debris out, but helps a lot.

Get some panty holes and cut them into squares but leave extra to go on sides of fam then use mini rubber bands to hold it
Get some panty holes and cut them into squares but leave extra to go on sides of fam then use mini rubber bands to hold
Do I want to know more about panty holes...:unsure:

Fan covers are not meant to keep out grass, dirt, or sticks.
They prevent the accidently damaging off blades from pressing on the top. I run Reedy CF covers and mesh. The mesh keeps the crap out.
View attachment 232439
Thx you get that meh locally? Someone just posted something similar for Amazon

I just use these and they work great!!! Use em for esc and motor fans in all my rigs. (The pic below was my 1st try, I've gotten better at the trimming :ROFLMAO: ) I could do dozens of fan covers with 1 pack of screens.

Screenshot_20220530-215125_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20220601_172009.jpg

Thx guys.... I did see some of this at the Home Depot for $3 but from the two earlier post I can get a lot more off Amazon:
Thinking I need some shoe glue at the 4 corners so the mesh does not wear out fast....? 🤷‍♂️

1659047677028.png

https://3d-rc.online/products/35mm-fan-cover
For $2 they are large honeycombs and raised as well. Sorry guys had to drop this here lol.
Like giving you my money Man....any for 40mm fans what I always upgrade to and in question on this thread I made.

Window screen cut to fit over a relatively open plastic shroud and held in place by the mount screws works pretty well. Doesn't impede airflow much, keeps out grass clippings and most rocks, but does need to be cleared of debris regularly. Easier than pulling junk out of the blades and heatsink fins though.

Thx guys.... I did see some of this at the Home Depot for $3 but from the two earlier post I can get a lot more off Amazon:
Thinking I need some shoe glue at the 4 corners so the mesh does not wear out fast....? 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 232558

Like giving you my money Man....any for 40mm fans what I always upgrade to and in question on this thread I made.
Yup on the machines right now. I have like 20 I haven’t added to inventory yet. Just let me know you can have a couple 👍

Sorry for the delay..

So, here's what I've got >
1659100566243.png

1659100621259.png

A. Three different Aero Turbine Shrouds -they'll guide More air into the cooling fan (but will produce couple of more dBs of noise.)

Imagine a jet engine intake.. Basically these will funnel more volume of air into your fan.

B. Speaking of crotchless..
Crotchless, perhaps? 😆
Something like this perhaps? :LOL:
View attachment 232442

It's more of an A.V.P. (Alien Va***al Protector) 😂

Provides extra protection -Rocks, Grass, Dirt would have to come directly down into the opening to make it to the fan blades.

C. a modified Slanted "Honeycomb Grilled" Fan Shroud.

Angled in a way to "capture" more air and direct it towards your fan(s).

All of these are for standard 40mm fans.
Plus, you can use a sexy piece of pantyhose -to slip over the openings and easily secure it with a rubber band to hold them in place. 😁

Note- Those "checkerboard dots" are not part of the turbine shrouds, they are just extra printed supports that will be removed after final print.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back