ESC\Motor fan covers. How well do they work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay..

So, here's what I've got >
View attachment 232696

View attachment 232697

A. Three different Aero Turbine Shrouds -they'll guide More air into the cooling fan (but will produce couple of more dBs of noise.)

Imagine a jet engine intake.. Basically these will funnel more volume of air into your fan.

B. Speaking of crotchless..

It's more of an A.V.P. (Alien Va***al Protector) 😂

Provides extra protection -Rocks, Grass, Dirt would have to come directly down into the opening to make it to the fan blades.

C. a modified Slanted "Honeycomb Grilled" Fan Shroud.

Angled in a way to "capture" more air and direct it towards your fan(s).

All of these are for standard 40mm fans.
Plus, you can use a sexy piece of pantyhose -to slip over the openings and easily secure it with a rubber band to hold them in place. 😁

Note- Those "checkerboard dots" are not part of the turbine shrouds, they are just extra printed supports that will be removed after final print.
I like the idea of velocity stacks for fan covers as they're supposed to help smooth out airflow into a system as illustrated below. I do have questions as to their effectiveness when it comes to fans as you have a central hub in the middle which kinda messes with what the illustration portrays. It's possible that velo stacks are best used on open pipes such as inlet pipes, manifold or carb inlets, turbo/compressor inlets and the such like. Could be an interesting topic for some A/B comparisons.
1659104532491.png

I like the idea of velocity stacks for fan covers as they're supposed to help smooth out airflow into a system as illustrated below. I do have questions as to their effectiveness when it comes to fans as you have a central hub in the middle which kinda messes with what the illustration portrays. It's possible that velo stacks are best used on open pipes such as inlet pipes, manifold or carb inlets, turbo/compressor inlets and the such like. Could be an interesting topic for some A/B comparisons.
View attachment 232705

Your drawing/illustration shows just the initial portion of the process..
If you take into consideration just how close the actual engine/"compressor fan blades" are to the intake AND why most all jet engines have a center spike of some kind to help "guide" the air flow smoothly around the center hub.
That's why you see the "spike"/cone in the middle of aero shrouds.. to keep the airflow as smooth as possible.

jet engine inlets.jpg

And, granted the FASTER the airflow you are wanting to achieve or "to handle" , the Longer the spike... ;)

aero intake.jpg

44571475690_2c540dda15_b.jpg

Your drawing/illustration shows just the initial portion of the process..
If you take into consideration just how close the actual engine/"compressor fan blades" are to the intake AND why most all jet engines have a center spike of some kind to help "guide" the air flow smoothly around the center hub.
That's why you see the "spike"/cone in the middle of aero shrouds.. to keep the airflow as smooth as possible.

View attachment 232735

And, granted the FASTER the airflow you are wanting to achieve or "to handle" , the Longer the spike... ;)

View attachment 232736

View attachment 232737
You make a compelling argument good sir :)

.., and compare that spike to the dime sized flat area on any fan out there.

It will still suck in Gras all day long. Efficiency goes out the window with debris blocking the blades. Nice thought experiment but bashing in Gras has its challenge.

I'll take some more photos of the actual shrouds mounted on the "complete velocity stack" ,once I sneak home for lunch..

Looks like one of those eggs from 'Alien' :ROFLMAO:
🤘

I need to print one of those xenomorph facehuggers to go with it!

Perhaps someone can paint an "ALIEN" themed body ,yes?

.., and compare that spike to the dime sized flat area on any fan out there.

It will still suck in Gras all day long. Efficiency goes out the window with debris blocking the blades. Nice thought experiment but bashing in Gras has its challenge.

Hence, the slanted shroud design -think of those leaf/debris guards for rain gutters- the "slant" will allow the grass/twigs/debris to slide off and not accumulate on the fans.
Especially if you add a fine window screen material or pantyhose on top for added filtering.

I believe @Tank93 already did.

I must have missed that one.

What I envision is an ALIEN Queen with a bunch of her eggs and several Palatine soldiers guarding her.. with perhaps some Colonial Marines about to attack her Hive...

Last edited:
Last edited:
I must say you all have given me a good read on this post!!

I like all I have seen what I want to stop the most and why I created this post is debris getting in the fans. I cannot stop it all, but mesh or any form of all the examples posted will be better than what I had, nothing.

Now when it comes to the best flow of the air and getting max air, that's next. So far, none of the Game Changer fans or fans I made myself the taller 40mm @Edough13 posted running off a 3S or 2S move, so much damn air has not been an issue. I have not hit thermal cut-off on the Infraction, Kraton, etc., since using those fans...cannot speak for the air efficiency, but it keeps my electronics in the range I want them. Recently, I have been surprised by the power of this tall 40mm fan with just a JST connection...it's not a GC, man it dances on the bench like a GC of ESC HW power...wanted to try supporting our smaller guys. GREAT fan!!

Thx all for a good read (y)

I must say you all have given me a good read on this post!!

I like all I have seen what I want to stop the most and why I created this post is debris getting in the fans. I cannot stop it all, but mesh or any form of all the examples posted will be better than what I had, nothing.

Now when it comes to the best flow of the air and getting max air, that's next. So far, none of the Game Changer fans or fans I made myself the taller 40mm @Edough13 posted running off a 3S or 2S move, so much damn air has not been an issue. I have not hit thermal cut-off on the Infraction, Kraton, etc., since using those fans...cannot speak for the air efficiency, but it keeps my electronics in the range I want them. Recently, I have been surprised by the power of this tall 40mm fan with just a JST connection...it's not a GC, man it dances on the bench like a GC of ESC HW power...wanted to try supporting our smaller guys. GREAT fan!!

Thx all for a good read (y)
I'm all about supporting smaller vendors but $31?!?! Yikes...set a few filters on this site and you'll find a lot more options, a lot more air movement at a lot lower prices. I paid $20 each for some NMB server fans that move 36CFM and they've proven to be quite durable. Granted, I haven't been jumping my Infraction but they have survived a number of high speed blow overs.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/dc-brushless-fans-bldc/217

Recently, I have been surprised by the power of this tall 40mm fan with just a JST connection...it's not a GC, man it dances on the bench like a GC of ESC HW power...

Careful running this fan from the ESC BEC. It draws over 1.5A, and you only have 5A to power everything (ESC, receiver, servo, fans). Its current draw is close to the maximum draw I'd be comfortable with from all fans combined.

Careful running this fan from the ESC BEC. It draws over 1.5A, and you only have 5A to power everything (ESC, receiver, servo, fans). Its current draw is close to the maximum draw I'd be comfortable with from all fans combined.
...ahh thx...see I'm dumb to the math. Thx did not know that (y)

Fans like this would you run on a 2S or 3S battery although it has been made with a JST?

Last edited:
I run a mojave. What i did was to totally protect the entire electronics bay from dirt and at the same time added an 8mm fan up front to blow air in the bay. I also cover the entire setup with plastic before putting on the body. Result, Zero to no dirt and cool running. I have a post on this: Mojave diy dirt shield and cooling system.

20220712_145930.jpg

20220712_145841.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back