Esc/motor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZaneTC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Notorious
Ive been using the spectrum 120a esc(3-4s) with the 4s 2400kv blx motor. It was always under 120° i have since put a spectrum 3s 6500kv motor on the same 4s esc. What i don't understand is the 6500kv calls for a smaller 100a esc and im using a bigger 120a esc and its overheating and cutting out. How would the 100a esc be better? Or would it?

Ive been using the spectrum 120a esc(3-4s) with the 4s 2400kv blx motor. It was always under 120° i have since put a spectrum 3s 6500kv motor on the same 4s esc. What i don't understand is the 6500kv calls for a smaller 100a esc and im using a bigger 120a esc and its overheating and cutting out. How would the 100a esc be better? Or would it?
6500kv is high.must be geared way to high....6500kv is really a 2s motor..not sure what your setup is,but 6500kv is most likely way to high

Screenshot_20220130-163623.jpg

Its on a traxxas bandit, not arrma made(sorry). It IS a 3s spectrum motor. Comes on the losi drag car with a 100a esc. I am drag racing so short runs. But going by the gear chart you sent i AM geared too high at 50/16 (.8/32p) for either esc. Probly need a stronger speed control. Thank you for all ur input.

Its on a traxxas bandit, not arrma made(sorry). It IS a 3s spectrum motor. Comes on the losi drag car with a 100a esc. I am drag racing so short runs. But going by the gear chart you sent i AM geared too high at 50/16 (.8/32p) for either esc. Probly need a stronger speed control. Thank you for all ur input.
Castle mamba monster x is a great esc,133$ on Amazon right now

Castle mamba monster x is a great esc,133$ on Amazon right now
Would you recommend the mmx over the mx? I know its like 30-40$ more but whats the difference? Size is an issue with the body.

There's the 1/10 mamba monster x
There's the 1/8 mamba monster x
Both are small an cost about the same,both have data logs.the 1/8 is the more powerful esc..this is the better one for a cheap price

Screenshot_20220130-172749_Amazon Shopping.jpg

There's the 1/10 mamba monster x
There's the 1/8 mamba monster x
Both are small an cost about the same,both have data logs.the 1/8 is the more powerful esc..this is the better one for a cheap price

View attachment 196664
Ok. So im seeing a mamba monster 2 1/10. A mamba monster x(6s) 1/8. A mamba monster x(8s) 1/8 and the xlx2. Im using the xlx2 in my felony. I have a mmx 8s to put on my extended slash/bandit with a tp 4s 5250kv cause i popped the capacitors on the mamba x with that motor. But i wouldnt think a 3s motor would require an 8s esc even with 6500kv but i checked and it would fit with a longer mounting plate and a hole cut in the body for the fan.

4s is not good with 6500kv. If you are using 4s. Even on 3s, simply no good for off road bashers. You have exceeded the max RPM's of the motor. Heat will be a problem. A motor draws the power it needs wants. Volts permitting. The ESC is just the controller that allows the volts to pass. Running a 6s ESC for instance with 3s or 4s will be more efficient amp wise. More amp overhead. Run cooler. Gearing is key here.
How I see it.

4s is not good with 6500kv. If you are using 4s. Even on 3s, simply no good for off road bashers. You have exceeded the max RPM's of the motor. Heat will be a problem. A motor draws the power it needs wants. Volts permitting. The ESC is just the controller that allows the volts to pass. Running a 6s ESC for instance with 3s or 4s will be more efficient amp wise. More amp overhead. Run cooler. Gearing is key here.
How I see it.
3s on 6500kv on a 1/10 buggy setup for drag (not bashing) Using 4s esc. But yessir! Ima end up with a bigger esc and probly a cap pack I already know im overgeared. We run unlimited classes. It flies in a straight line but after 2 passes its HAAWT!

Dragging is a complete different story altogether.(y)

Dragging is a complete different story altogether.(y)
don't get me wrong i love bashing too. Have a notorious and a granite too. Even a losi lmt son of a digger. Theres just not any good groups for the kind of cars im dragging so i was asking about motor/esc kinda vaguely. 3 of my 4 drag cars are loosely traxxas based. My 4×4 unlimited class car is my 8s felony

don't get me wrong i love bashing too. Have a notorious and a granite too. Even a losi lmt son of a digger. Theres just not any good groups for the kind of cars im dragging so i was asking about motor/esc kinda vaguely. 3 of my 4 drag cars are loosely traxxas based. My 4×4 unlimited class car is my 8s felony

I love overkill so I would just buy the biggest best quality ESC that physically fits without serious modification and then any motor you want is completely up to you and you will always have plenty of ESC available for HV servos or fat cans

Rip it out and stick it in your next, bigger car etc...

Mamba Monster X 8S I'm running can do from 2S up to 8S and I run it on 3S at the track and 6S on the street :)

For Dragging, a heavy weight ESC is not always your friend. Can work against you. I don't do Drag. But makes sense to me. Drag cars must be precisely balanced and all. So a pig of an ESC can work against you at some point. Aside from being overkill.
But I agree that a larger Amp ESC always provides better Amp overhead in general. Space/fit and Weight being considered.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back