Typhon esc/motor upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrmAh

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
  2. Typhon 3s
Hi, i'm looking to upgrade the typhon from 3s to 4s. I know i can go with the BLX 120 and 185 options but looking for other suggestions too. I don't have much experience with motors/escs not entirely sure what to look for.

Thank you

The BLX120 will work fine with 3S and 4S. However I'd only recommend using 4S lipo for speed runs. Keep in mind that stock motor is rated for 3S only . However people do run them on 4S with a supplied Arrma Motor Fan. Personally the BLX120 with an optional pinion gear and motor fan should give you good results. 26T will give alot of top end. Lower teeth if it's too hot.

Thanks Mac,
Im going to upgrade the motor as well. I currently have 18T on the 3s with 4s slipper. Just wondering if the BLX combo is the way to go or are there other brands\models i should look into.

Thanks Mac,
Im going to upgrade the motor as well. I currently have 18T on the 3s with 4s slipper. Just wondering if the BLX combo is the way to go or are there other brands\models i should look into.
Hobbywing or Dynamite. It's really up to you. Going aftermarket would eliminate lag from Arrmas ESC. Depends on what your spending.

You are really only looking at two aftermarket brands Hobbywing and Castle. Dynamite and from what others say the BLX escs are just rebranded Hobbywing escs (some say motors too?). If money is not a factor get the Mamba X 2400 Castle combo. The esc and motor are sensored so there should be no or minimal cogging (stuttering). Otherwise might as well pick up a BLX120 esc and 2400kv motor from a kit breaker since everybody thinks the BLX120 is a Hobbywing Max10 SCT rebrand.

Me I would just pick up a Surpass, Goolrc, or Hobbystar 3670 size or 3674 size motor and a Hobbywing WP SC8, Hexfly Hex10, or Max10 SCT esc, if I wanted to continually run 4s. I have a 3665 2900kv Surpass motor right now that I am sure I could run 4s right now with if I gear it right.

You are really only looking at two aftermarket brands Hobbywing and Castle. Dynamite and from what others say the BLX escs are just rebranded Hobbywing escs (some say motors too?). If money is not a factor get the Mamba X 2400 Castle combo. The esc and motor are sensored so there should be no or minimal cogging (stuttering). Otherwise might as well pick up a BLX120 esc and 2400kv motor from a kit breaker since everybody thinks the BLX120 is a Hobbywing Max10 SCT rebrand.

Me I would just pick up a Surpass, Goolrc, or Hobbystar 3670 size or 3674 size motor and a Hobbywing WP SC8, Hexfly Hex10, or Max10 SCT esc, if I wanted to continually run 4s. I have a 3665 2900kv Surpass motor right now that I am sure I could run 4s right now with if I gear it right.
So if I read this right... I can get the Surpass 3670 and run on the Typhon 3s stock esc?? Or more beneficial to do both at the same time?

I run a Firma 150A and 2050kv combo in mine.3s and 4s with no issues.it will handle 6s if I wasn't afraid to crash or blow the tires off of it AGAIN! Both can be picked up on Jenny's. I think the motor is on sale right now. Look at the 6s rigs. They are the stock electronics.

I run a Firma 150A and 2050kv combo in mine.3s and 4s with no issues.it will handle 6s if I wasn't afraid to crash or blow the tires off of it AGAIN! Both can be picked up on Jenny's. I think the motor is on sale right now. Look at the 6s rigs. They are the stock electronics.

How did you fit the firma 150 into the Typhon? I thought the body was too low to fit that esc under it?

I'd like to get a better esc for my Typhon, and I was thinking of grabbing a Firma 120 from Jenny's after they get them in stock from parting out the new 4s vehicles once they are released. I figure I can also grab a new slipper, diffs, and input gears too since they are all metal. Then add in a Hobbystar 3670/3674 and have a rock solid and powerful drive train for my Typhon.

That being said, I have no problem going with a firma 150 and 2050kv combo if it fits and isn't so heavy that it effects handling adversely. This would require that I use a huge pinion though. 24-26 teeth in order to retain the speed I currently get with the stock setup. A pinion that big may cause cogging, though the car would be light for the motor size so maybe it would okay.

Last edited:
It is a tight fit, but works great. Motor heatsink tilted toward center drives haft and ESC at an angle. The motor fan is tighter than the ESC. I am running a 26t pinion currently and no cogging. I will add a photo later.

There are some people on here that 3d print ESC mounts for this setup. I haven't gotten one because one of my tabs are broken anyway.

16564352262398212074667798444.jpg

16564352497178326817776937656129.jpg

16564353835758487770846614736430.jpg

There are some people on here that 3d print ESC mounts for this setup. I haven't gotten one because one of my tabs are broken anyway.
Very nice! What's holding the ESC down? Double sided tape like the 3M heavy duty tape?

Also, did you go metal spur, input, and diff gearing or stick to the plastic?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back