Kraton Esc mounting tape

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigrayzrc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
What do yall use to mount your escs. Atm I'm using some gorilla double sided tape I found at a store but it is lucky to last a run before I have to re apply it. Also merry Christmas.

I use the 3m double sided tape they sell at Walmart in the automotive department, you need to clean both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol before applying and allow it to set for at least 24 hours prior to running the car, the longer it sets the stronger the bond up to 72 hours. I can pick up my cars by the esc. 3M™ Super Strength Molding Tape 03615, 7/8 in x 5 ft, 1 Roll https://www.walmart.com/ip/17130303
This is quite literally the stuff that is used to hold the trim, molding and emblems on real cars.

Last edited:
I use shoegoo ruff up both surfaces leave for 24 hours never had one come loose and not too hard to remove if you have to

What esc are you running?

I use Gorilla clear double-sided tape that is rated to hold 15 pounds. I have never had an issue with it coming loose: when I've had to remove an ESC for some reason, I've had to use a fair amount of force to get it to let go.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gorilla-...48b141478b1e11a6f88b22efb9692610&gclsrc=3p.ds

Unlike many double-sided tapes, this Gorilla tape comes off cleanly without leaving a residue or part of the tape.

Last edited:
The 3m stuff is the same way it comes off cleanly without residue, I have broken a few receiver cases trying to remove them.

The 3m stuff is the same way it comes off cleanly without residue, I have broken a few receiver cases trying to remove them.
I have had issues with the 3M double-sided tape that comes with Hobbywing ESCs, and I avoid 3M products for that reason.

I had a similar issue with the Gorilla tape on receivers. On the Radiolink R6F receivers, the bind button is situated in an indentation on the end of the receiver. If you forget to bind the receiver before you install it, you have to remove the receiver to bind it. It's a PITA to remove it when using Gorilla tape. Ask me how I know. :(

I have had issues with the 3M double-sided tape that comes with Hobbywing ESCs, and I avoid 3M products for that reason.

I had a similar issue with the Gorilla tape on receivers. On the Radiolink R6F receivers, the bind button is situated in an indentation on the end of the receiver. If you forget to bind the receiver before you install it, you have to remove the receiver to bind it. It's a PITA to remove it when using Gorilla tape. Ask me how I know. :(
The automotive stuff is a bit different than the stuff that comes with the Hobbywing escs.

The standard 3M tape that comes with ESC's and the like is only ok for Mounting Rx's in the Box. It is light duty stuff. Also, 3M tape does get old depending how long its been sitting around. It can dry out. Been there. 3M tape should be kept is a Sealed bag for storage. Stuffs not cheap.
For ESC's, I always use 3M Automotive grade tape. It holds well in very cold weather and is waterproof. Having worked in Autobody repair, this is the best. 3M is the best out there as a brand. And 3M makes many different grades of tape FWIW.
I use a heat gun to warm up the tape first before installing it.. Press and hold for half a minute, and like @slick2500 stated, 3M tape does fully cure in 24 hours. Needs some time.
I never had a problem removing it either.
At the autobody shop when "renewing" old door mouldings for instance, I could remove the old tape with a heat gun. and some spirits/solvent. Piano wire slices the tape neatly to separate it, if need be.
Some guys use GE silicone adhesive with good results for very heavy ESC's. I would never use Velcro of any type on ESC's.
But many do for their speed runners.:unsure:
Raz does. His Lipos also.:rolleyes: I guess it's a thing?

Last edited:
Screw them down if I can. If not I use Dual Lock. It's reusable, stronger than Velcro (hook and loop), and you can clean it out with a brush if you need to.

The red "servo tape" is good too.

The standard 3M tape that comes with ESC's and the like is only ok for Mounting Rx's in the Box. It is light duty stuff. Also, 3M tape does get old depending how long its been sitting around. It can dry out. Been there. 3M tape should be kept is a Sealed bag for storage. Stuffs not cheap.
For ESC's, I always use 3M Automotive grade tape. It holds well in very cold weather and is waterproof. Having worked in Autobody repair, this is the best. 3M is the best out there as a brand. And 3M makes many different grades of tape FWIW.
I use a heat gun to warm up the tape first before installing it.. Press and hold for half a minute, and like @slick2500 stated, 3M tape does fully cure in 24 hours. Needs some time.
I never had a problem removing it either.
At the autobody shop when "renewing" old door mouldings for instance, I could remove the old tape with a heat gun. and some spirits/solvent. Piano wire slices the tape neatly to separate it, if need be.

It's the same stuff I used to install the roof rails on my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I could grab the roof rails and shake the entire car.

3M is what all the Car Mfr's use at the factory.(y)
Just don't use it when it is Cold and surface is dirty or oily or paint has wax on it.. It doesn' work at all. Just a waste of tape.
Why I always use a heat gun to warm up the tape. It activates better.

3M is what all the Car Mfr's use at the factory.(y)
Just don't use it when it is Cold and surface is dirty or oily or paint has wax on it.. It doesn' work at all. Just a waste of tape.
Why I always use a heat gun to warm up the tape. It activates better.
Yup that's why I use it, if it's good enough to hold the trim, molding and emblems on real cars it should be just fine for holding an esc in place.

I always use the screws to mount my esc's. Even if I have to drill out proper new holes for upgrade ESC's. The automotive 3M tape is used for insurance. Major carnage has ejected my ESC a few times when only using Tape or just screws alone to mount. Doing both makes for a safely mounted ESC.
Ejected ESC's can easily cause lipo shorts/fires. I have wrecked badly and if the screws stripped out, the tape works out fine.
I can see how an Alloy mounting plate would benefit a very heavy ESC for many who bash extremely hard with Big Air.

I don't feel an Alloy upgrade ESC is the best for me. And it adds needless weight IMHO. Plastic ESC mounts are fine. I would rather make one up out of scrap Plastic over buying an Alloy one. I feel even adding one Nylon wire tie will help.
A combination of screws at the mount, along with 3M tape and one wire tie is bullet proof.
GE silcone also serves well if there is no provision for an ESC mounting plate. Like with a few of my 1/10 scale stuff. But The Larger heavier ESC's need to be very secure when bashing hard.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40065773/
https://www.amazon.com/3m-automotive-tape/s?k=3m+automotive+tape

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back