ESC Opinion: Knock off or real deal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCBro80

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Last edited:
Solution
Okay let us make this clear, the esc in the link above isn't a fake it isn't a knockoff it is a 100% Hobbywing made and designed product. It is an OEM esc made for Redcat Racing it is no different than the Arrma BLX100 and the Arrma BXL120 both made and designed by Hobbywing for Arrma. There is no warranty through Hobbywing.

I've had one of those escs for a few years now and I have not had a single problem with it.

-edit- Literally the only difference between the Hobbywing Max10 SCT and the Max10 SCT RTR is the temp plug and the switch, it still has all of the same program settings.
Does anyone have experience with some of the 'hobbywing' ESC's from AliExpress or other Chinese sites?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...DlnE_xlioYTXHWUO56waAoiyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is this one of those knock offs that will basically go straight to the garbage, or a viable cost savings option if I'm willing to wait for the long ocean voyage?
For sure a “knock off” it’s probably just a hobbywing that didn’t make it to branding ... they call it a hobbywing ... but the esc doesn’t have hobbywing stickers on it. At $38 ... give it a shot!

"True" max10 sct power switch and temperature sensor FYI.

20210103_193601.jpg

Yep, I didn’t even notice that... for surely a cheap knock off.. usually they have the HW switch.. this one doesn’t even have the switch. Whoops.
Looked at the description, says this is basically OEM and as supplied to hobao etc. For comparison the arrma blx120 is externally almost identical to my HW max10sct but I have more programming options using the programming card (whixh works with both). It could well be as says in the description and I am minded to agree with @Rcproponent - at this price surely worth a punt?

There was a similar thread last week on the same topic.
You are buying unknown stuff and it is not officially supported in case of a warranty claim. Hobbywing has a list of accepted Vendors, doublecheck.

Interestinger and interestinger! It also looks pretty close to the arrma switches too. Really tempted to buy one myself just to rip it down :)
Yes, you're right - looks a lot like the Arrma switch. I suppose they could have subbed in cheaper spec components, but I suspect the design is identical to the true HW version. I'm thinking it's definitely worth a try. If I get one, I'll post the verdict here.
There was a similar thread last week on the same topic.
There should be a way to merge threads... I'd be curious to see the other discussion on this topic.

Call me a grumpy grunion but, why support these blatantly knock off dealers?

I think we all know how it works. oe electronics from pretty much every brand get their stuff either from Chinese components or full Chinese merch. So chances are the casing heat sink, all the bits we see are the genuine articles but the inner bits are cheap replacements, that may or may not perform as well as the original article.

So yeah there's a chance we'd get a good deal that could last 12 months or more, or go up like a cheap fire work. Roll the dice. ?‍♂️

I'm not ranting just curious to get feed back on what others think. Personally I'd always pay a bit extra and get the real deal.
But then am I the schmuck that always pays over the odds?? ?

Some insights here for sure. Some additional thoughts from me:

1) unbranded oem products are unlikely to be breaching trademarks, because they don't have any marks on them (unbranded). Based on the pics this looks to be the case;

2) HW may be trying to stop the products being listed on ali, amazon etc as hobbywing, as this is v likely to be a tm breach (use of a mark you don't have a right to use);

3) that discussion doesn't deal with "grey" products. I lived in china for a bit and there was a practice whereby a factory would take an order for (say) 10,000 widgets, but actually manufacture 11,000 and sell 1,000 in fake/grey markets. Quite a common practice inclduing where making OEM components. I wouldnt be surprised if this is the case here, as aliexpress appears to have a lot of stuff which would fit this description.

Conclusion: it could well be the same as the real HW oem esc (inc made in the same factory) but you just wouldnt get any aftersales/warranty support.

Back