ESC Opinion: Knock off or real deal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCBro80

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Last edited:
Solution
Okay let us make this clear, the esc in the link above isn't a fake it isn't a knockoff it is a 100% Hobbywing made and designed product. It is an OEM esc made for Redcat Racing it is no different than the Arrma BLX100 and the Arrma BXL120 both made and designed by Hobbywing for Arrma. There is no warranty through Hobbywing.

I've had one of those escs for a few years now and I have not had a single problem with it.

-edit- Literally the only difference between the Hobbywing Max10 SCT and the Max10 SCT RTR is the temp plug and the switch, it still has all of the same program settings.
Call me a grumpy grunion but, why support these blatantly knock off dealers?

I think we all know how it works. oe electronics from pretty much every brand get their stuff either from Chinese components or full Chinese merch. So chances are the casing heat sink, all the bits we see are the genuine articles but the inner bits are cheap replacements, that may or may not perform as well as the original article.

So yeah there's a chance we'd get a good deal that could last 12 months or more, or go up like a cheap fire work. Roll the dice. ?‍♂️

I'm not ranting just curious to get feed back on what others think. Personally I'd always pay a bit extra and get the real deal.
But then am I the schmuck that always pays over the odds?? ?
Can't say I totally disagree. Unfortunately, my 1 year old geninue rebranded HW esc (ie BLX185) failed after one year too. If I'm going to be replacing yearly anyway, I'd much prefer to spend $50 vs $150
Some insights here for sure. Some additional thoughts from me:

1) unbranded oem products are unlikely to be breaching trademarks, because they don't have any marks on them (unbranded). Based on the pics this looks to be the case;

2) HW may be trying to stop the products being listed on ali, amazon etc as hobbywing, as this is v likely to be a tm breach (use of a mark you don't have a right to use);

3) that discussion doesn't deal with "grey" products. I lived in china for a bit and there was a practice whereby a factory would take an order for (say) 10,000 widgets, but actually manufacture 11,000 and sell 1,000 in fake/grey markets. Quite a common practice inclduing where making OEM components. I wouldnt be surprised if this is the case here, as aliexpress appears to have a lot of stuff which would fit this description.

Conclusion: it could well be the same as the real HW oem esc (inc made in the same factory) but you just wouldnt get any aftersales/warranty support.
Excellent points

@RCBro80
True. Good point. I take comfort in the brand, but like others have found after 1 year the after sales is 0 regardless of where it came from, so yeah you're money goes further.
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-max10-sct-120a-speed-controller/rc-car-products/405158

My finger is on this button. It'll be here in a few days.
Do it dude. You roll the dice with HMRC when you buy off ali anyway and at £30, royal mail's £8 "admin" fee becomes just another chunky import tax. Ive had good experiences with modelsport. The extra dosh is worth the peace of mind!

I haven't cleared it with my wallet manager yet, got any good excuses to cover the cost? ? ? ?

I haven't cleared it with my wallet manager yet, got any good excuses to cover the cost? ? ? ?
“Cause I want it”... usually works for me... with some less than happy facial expressions. ??

usually a follow up lead in sentence that fades away after she realizes I already bought it and am informing her of said purchase .. “but you don’t nee” and it usually stops there.

"I'm helping the economy recover from covid. Consumer spending is a key bellweather for economic confidence. Would you like a cup of tea?"

Okay let us make this clear, the esc in the link above isn't a fake it isn't a knockoff it is a 100% Hobbywing made and designed product. It is an OEM esc made for Redcat Racing it is no different than the Arrma BLX100 and the Arrma BXL120 both made and designed by Hobbywing for Arrma. There is no warranty through Hobbywing.

I've had one of those escs for a few years now and I have not had a single problem with it.

-edit- Literally the only difference between the Hobbywing Max10 SCT and the Max10 SCT RTR is the temp plug and the switch, it still has all of the same program settings.

Last edited:
Solution
Not east to find a woman who understands the love for RC's and you also want to get freaky with. Like a female version of me... *shudder*

I have a girlfriend for the fun stuff but we are both adults with independent lives and finances.

I was married for over 20 years so I’ve been where you are. I am just really glad I’m not there anymore. ?

Okay let us make this clear, the esc in the link above isn't a fake it isn't a knockoff it is a 100% Hobbywing made and designed product. It is an OEM esc made for Redcat Racing it is no different than the Arrma BLX100 and the Arrma BXL120 both made and designed by Hobbywing for Arrma.

Best reply of the whole thread. Sold!

Nailed it.

This is what I always find with dealers like alli and bangoof. Unless you know what it is, how it is, how do you know. You know? ?

Good to hear its the real deal. Cleared that up.

But their website, to me is just red flags.

This is what I always find with dealers like alli and bangoof. Unless you know what it is, how it is, how do you know. You know? ?

Good to hear its the real deal. Cleared that up.

But their website, to me is just red flags.
I've bought a lot of stuff off Aliexpress other than super long shipping sometimes no problems getting what I ordered.

Anyone know the difference between the max8 and max8 rtr on there?
max8: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001336471279.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.46.75654876yseqSk
max8 RTR: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001329389602.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.22.1f33aa95Dh1rDP

Would mind replacing the blx185 in my stampede... I can't calibrate it and I don't know why.

The cheaper yet WP-8BL150 would likely be enough for what I want, but the adjustable BEC would be the only thing I wouldn't mind from the max8 or max8 RTR I posted above.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001311923580.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.4.1f33aa95Dh1rDP

Did you not see this on your link? It's in plain 'chinglish' ;) I couldn't say it any better ?
In short, the packaging is slightly different.

" RTR version of the ESC: RTR version of the ESC is factory direct production to the car model factory supply of electricity, such as Wo Bao hsp this car model factory direct supply version, the appearance and function of the ESC is no difference, the main Is the packaging, because it is directly to the car model factory so the factory does not provide original box packaging, only a simple packaging,100% Brand New. (Contain T plugs, banana head, heat shrinkable tube, double-sided adhesive)"

Back