ESC Opinion: Knock off or real deal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCBro80

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Last edited:
Solution
Okay let us make this clear, the esc in the link above isn't a fake it isn't a knockoff it is a 100% Hobbywing made and designed product. It is an OEM esc made for Redcat Racing it is no different than the Arrma BLX100 and the Arrma BXL120 both made and designed by Hobbywing for Arrma. There is no warranty through Hobbywing.

I've had one of those escs for a few years now and I have not had a single problem with it.

-edit- Literally the only difference between the Hobbywing Max10 SCT and the Max10 SCT RTR is the temp plug and the switch, it still has all of the same program settings.
Use the manual that came with the ESC to do the range adjust. Also read the QAs on Amazon, explains the buttons.

Question:
Why are there 2 buttons
Answer:
One is a set button. Press it while switching it on to get into programming mode

Both buttons are push buttons. And pressed either one turns it on or off. I tried holding one and pressing the other, didn't do anything. But I did get one step closer. Turned the Tx on and held throttle at full and turned esc on. It beeped twice, then I let go off the throttle and it beeped twice but then I'm not sure how to calibrate reverse because when I tried to apply reverse after that, it just started sending power to the motor. The manual says this:
Instructions
1. Connect BEC wires with the receiver
2. Connect motor wires with esc
3. Turn on the transmitter
4. Connect battery pack with esc then switch on the esc.
5. When the connection of motor and battery is finished, the motor emits "Beep-Beep" tone.
6. When the throttle stick is in the neutral position, the motor re-emits "Beep-Beep" tone.
7. The esc is workable.
If you can translate this, then I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you.
This guy has the same exact one:

Last edited:
Did more digging: https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/228405-goolrc-60amp-esc/?&page=2#comments
I think I have to bust out the bind plug for this one. Bind plug comes with the rc car for rx.
They said:
"
Hello,
I had the same problem with my surpass hobby 150A esc, which has no button. I figured out the solution:
Disconnect motor wires
Turn on transmitter
Turn on esc while connected to receiver
Connect bind plug to receiver (this way my receiver doesn't go to bind mode
Cycle throttle up and down
Turn off esc
Remove bind plug

Hope this helps"

Last edited:
That one is a mystery to me. You need to get the ESC to calibrate with your ESC. No doubt.
I noticed some cheaper Brushed ESC's are like this. No way to Calibrate ESC TH. limits with the radio. Does your radio have a TH calibration feature?
I know my DX5C does for example. 🤷‍♂️

I'm using the factory slt3. I followed his instructions and I just have to wait to go try it. Before finding this info all I could get it to do is calibrate full throttle and neutral. I would hold full throttle, turn on the esc and it would "beep-beep" and then I would let go of the throttle into neutral and the esc would "beep-beep" but after that the motor was active so there was no way to set reverse. By following those instructions that I found I might have been able to set it that way but not sure till I test.

Very odd but you don't necessarily have to calibrate reverse. Full and neutral should be sufficient.

One thing I have learned, if there is no manual to download or I do not understand it, I simply won't buy it.

Thanks guys but it was free so it got me running again and I was kiln it at the track like that and I have bald tires. I don't think my friends too happy with that because he has the same 3s typhon with new tread and I left him in the dust. lol I figured setting up forward full speed is all that matters right now so I'm happy to hear it. It wasn't until I took it on the parking lot and down low it was more power than stock but up top it def wasn't going full bore. Now it should be scary, it'll probably be faster than stock esc I've been told.
Very odd but you don't necessarily have to calibrate reverse. Full and neutral should be sufficient.

One thing I have learned, if there is no manual to download or I do not understand it, I simply won't buy it.
Thanks, I can't wait to rip it. I could just go down to the lhs and get a max10sct for $120 or whatever they want, or I can rip it for free with this one. Hmmm tough choice lol If that was the case I'd probably never own one of these, I'd have hobbled together a revo. I was telling my buddy when he wanted to get one of these that I'm just going to get a revo for $50 used and put an electric motor on it. But here we are and I love this thing for what it is, a cool buggy that shreds. Even after you find out the bearings are poop, the esc is poop, the servo is poop, etc. for $344....I paid $277 for an open box and I'll continue to save money where I can because you know you have to keep spending money if you want to have fun. Mine was actually doing good till I submersed it and the esc started cogging. My servo still works and I never set end points. My friend who bought his at the lhs blew his motor bearing before me, killed his servo, and now killed his esc. I'm fairing way better for taking the non-warranty route. You know whats even better, he went to the lhs to inquire about the blown motor, esc, servo and they literally laughed at him to his face. He said doesn't this have a 3 year warranty, limited or something, and they said hah ya very limited and wouldn't help him and tried to sell him a max10sct combo for $150, twice this happened. I guess it's in the delivery, he's a nice kid so he's a pushover when talking to them. I had to step in and at least help him get his motor going with a new $1 bearing. The funds aren't the issue for me, it's the fact that it will probably break every time I'm out there and I like fixing it and buying stuff cheap so I can get more stuff. Enjoy everyone, cheers!

Last edited:
And yet another reason that you need to stick to Hobbywing or Castle.

I have had good luck with the super cheap TSky 120a shiny blue ESCs. Also sold a a TRex. Also an old rebadged Hobbywing of some sort I believe. However, it has a power switch with a button on it for programming. The other nice thing is that it comes with the battery and motor wires already tinned with no connectors, as it should be. :) I found the manual for it online. It's the manual for an EZRun HW-SM401ENG-20140305.

Is it likely it's 120amp? No. Does it work fine on 3S in my son's 1/10 2wd ECX Amp MT? Yep. I haven't killed it yet. Works great.

Follow up to echo @slick2500's input, I just received the ESC from it's long voyage across the world, courtesy of AliExpress.

Initial impression: This is the Hobbywing Max10 SCT without the "Hobbywing" branding. It wasn't available with an EC5 connector, so swapped that on. The power switch is, indeed, different from the current Max10, but it seems to be the same switch as the BLX ESC's (with a different colored rubber boot). I powered it on and it works, so that's a good start. Lots more configurability than a BLX ESC (again, this is a Max10 SCT).

Hopefully I don't have to follow up with an update saying that it released the magic smoke! :ROFLMAO:

1613583799641.png

1613583810218.png

1613583819904.png

1613584259536.png

I bought one of those 6BL160s a month ago, it was supposed to be delivered today but the seller totally fubared the address...............

Last edited:
So since the Aliexpress seller screwed up and my esc is on it's way back to China, do you guys think I should just cancel my order and ask for a refund and buy a Max6 or wait and hope it gets sent back to me with the correct address?

So since the Aliexpress seller screwed up and my esc is on it's way back to China, do you guys think I should just cancel my order and ask for a refund and buy a Max6 or wait and hope it gets sent back to me with the correct address?
Return and ask for your money back. Buy more 3s RPM A-Arms if ya know what I mean :ROFLMAO:

Cancel and order a new one. Might be saving the return trip in time, unless they have to receive it first.
Always, always order with PayPal with the right address. If they screwed that up, pick a different Vendor.

We deliver the goods according to the address you placed the order. The system places the order online. It is impossible to get the wrong address.

:unsure:

43t wed.jpg

345645e6 ngws sdged.jpg

Seller told me to contact USPS, USPS says to contact seller............... :cautious:

Back