Granite ESC overheating on Granite Mega?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Vorteks
I'm new to the hobby but I've been trying my best to educate myself a lot before purchasing. Ended up with a Granite Mega and I love it. Here's the issue I've noticed...

The heatsink on my ESC has been getting pretty hot. Like I could probably burn myself if I touch it long enough. This happens after about 10 minutes of run time in a mixture of street and grass(lawn). I checked the battery with my Spektrum smart charger and it was at 50% battery life. So I'm assuming my ESC overheated? The car slowed down to a crawl, so I'm assuming there is a failsafe in there that prevents the car from running so as not to burn the ESC and/or motor.

I turned the car off in the correct order(car then radio) and disconnected the battery. Nothing major happened, it just slowed way down. The grass needs to be mowed so it was going through some pretty thick mess but for the time I had to run it... man did it tear some serious ass!

If anyone see's this, and has any recommendations on how to solve this issue, I'd appreciate it. I eventually want to upgrade the whole car(suspension, motor, esc, wheels, body, etc). So even if the suggestion is a new brushless motor/esc combo, I'd take that to heart too. Anyways, sorry for the long ass post. Just want to make sure I nail everything as far as what happened so some of you veterans can help a brother out diagnose and fix the issue. Thanks!

I'm new to the hobby but I've been trying my best to educate myself a lot before purchasing. Ended up with a Granite Mega and I love it. Here's the issue I've noticed...

The heatsink on my ESC has been getting pretty hot. Like I could probably burn myself if I touch it long enough. This happens after about 10 minutes of run time in a mixture of street and grass(lawn). I checked the battery with my Spektrum smart charger and it was at 50% battery life. So I'm assuming my ESC overheated? The car slowed down to a crawl, so I'm assuming there is a failsafe in there that prevents the car from running so as not to burn the ESC and/or motor.

I turned the car off in the correct order(car then radio) and disconnected the battery. Nothing major happened, it just slowed way down. The grass needs to be mowed so it was going through some pretty thick mess but for the time I had to run it... man did it tear some serious ass!

If anyone see's this, and has any recommendations on how to solve this issue, I'd appreciate it. I eventually want to upgrade the whole car(suspension, motor, esc, wheels, body, etc). So even if the suggestion is a new brushless motor/esc combo, I'd take that to heart too. Anyways, sorry for the long ass post. Just want to make sure I nail everything as far as what happened so some of you veterans can help a brother out diagnose and fix the issue. Thanks!
I got the mega 4x4 (blue!) last February and it has been the perfect entry rc for me. It’s tough and dependable…but there are a few issues, and things I’ve learned to keep it going 100%. I was getting ready to go brushless with it but just found out I’m getting a Bog Rock for fathers day, so I will continue making this the best possible brushed granite I can since it’ll go to my wife. So…
Maybe likely the low-voltage is kicking in. At 3.8 or 3.9, which ever cell hits first the car may shut down like mine does. Go ahead and do a warranty it’s good to learn the process. Then buy
#1 (lipo alarm) below, attach the alarm to the balance port. First run your car like normal and when it shuts down look to see if it happens at around 3.8 to 4.0 per cell. If yes, put your battery jumper on NiMH.You’ll get a full battery charges run, just make sure to stop when you hear the alarm (3.4amps!) or you will kill your Lipo battery.
Brushed motors get very hot. The ESC as well. So you also could be setting off the overhead heat protection. if your car slows down to a crawl that’s probably what’s happening there.
#2 (30mm rocket fan) for the esc. Screws right in with a couple m2.5 or m3, 10-12mm screws. #3 (heat sink) fits perfect on the motor. I pulled the sticker off the motor first.
#4 (40mm Apex fan) Someone on the forum mentioned these and they are great. 40 mm perfectly fits the above mentioned heat sink. I screwed it in using a couple of 10 or 12 mm m3 screws.
#5 (connectors) I use the double Y to connect directly to the esc and then each fan.
Dust kills electronics, so
#6 (dust cover) Is a steal at seven bucks. Took a very minor modification to fit perfectly to my granite.
Make sure to check on your bearings check all parts that move make sure nothings binding…

3CA568C1-EEC4-4A1D-A942-5923A62A5A53.png

C936865A-10C0-44A9-8B72-E3017CC3BF80.png

08DD1049-32EE-42A4-A2DC-FEFA2C84D216.png

A63CD9B5-4823-49C3-9AB5-E29D0F6FF92D.png

8B3E8CAB-7BD9-4D60-AB74-27BB3745C314.png

3C1AF359-86A2-4EA9-A260-558A0D5857DD.png

I got the mega 4x4 (blue!) last February and it has been the perfect entry rc for me. It’s tough and dependable…but there are a few issues, and things I’ve learned to keep it going 100%. I was getting ready to go brushless with it but just found out I’m getting a Bog Rock for fathers day, so I will continue making this the best possible brushed granite I can since it’ll go to my wife. So…
Maybe likely the low-voltage is kicking in. At 3.8 or 3.9, which ever cell hits first the car may shut down like mine does. Go ahead and do a warranty it’s good to learn the process. Then buy
#1 (lipo alarm) below, attach the alarm to the balance port. First run your car like normal and when it shuts down look to see if it happens at around 3.8 to 4.0 per cell. If yes, put your battery jumper on NiMH.You’ll get a full battery charges run, just make sure to stop when you hear the alarm (3.4amps!) or you will kill your Lipo battery.
Brushed motors get very hot. The ESC as well. So you also could be setting off the overhead heat protection. if your car slows down to a crawl that’s probably what’s happening there.
#2 (30mm rocket fan) for the esc. Screws right in with a couple m2.5 or m3, 10-12mm screws. #3 (heat sink) fits perfect on the motor. I pulled the sticker off the motor first.
#4 (40mm Apex fan) Someone on the forum mentioned these and they are great. 40 mm perfectly fits the above mentioned heat sink. I screwed it in using a couple of 10 or 12 mm m3 screws.
#5 (connectors) I use the double Y to connect directly to the esc and then each fan.
Dust kills electronics, so
#6 (dust cover) Is a steal at seven bucks. Took a very minor modification to fit perfectly to my granite.
Make sure to check on your bearings check all parts that move make sure nothings binding…

View attachment 145893

View attachment 145903

View attachment 145904

View attachment 145905

View attachment 145906

View attachment 145907
Wrong on one point. If the truck slows to a crawl but still moves like at 25-50% speed the ESC went into LVC(low voltage cutoff). If the ESC goes into thermal protection it will stop moving completely til it cools down and the power is turned off then back on.

Wrong on one point. If the truck slows to a crawl but still moves like at 25-50% speed the ESC went into LVC(low voltage cutoff). If the ESC goes into thermal protection it will stop moving completely til it cools down and the power is turned off then back on.
🤔 when my LVC hit my truck would completely stop. Only by switching the jumper to NiMH Did it keep going. It would also completely stop if it overheated. It never dropped down to a crawl like this dude has with his. All I know is switching the jumper and putting two fans on it stopped all the issues and it runs through a full battery pack. I still do give it a couple minutes rest every 10 minutes or so.

Appreciate the feedback thus far. Will definitely look into the fans and heatsinks you recommend. When it was at a crawl, I was in tje grass. When I picked it up and smashed the throttle, it was at about 25% speed. I also need to look into how to monitor the battery voltage per cell and how to store them. I only get the chance to run my car every 2 to 3 days due to work. With that logic, I'll only be using the one 2S Spektrum battery for now.

🤔 when my LVC hit my truck would completely stop. Only by switching the jumper to NiMH Did it keep going. It would also completely stop if it overheated. It never dropped down to a crawl like this dude has with his. All I know is switching the jumper and putting two fans on it stopped all the issues and it runs through a full battery pack. I still do give it a couple minutes rest every 10 minutes or so.
Mine does the opposite of yours. LVC cuts power til it gets too low then won't run at all. Thermal protection shuts it off completely. But mine is brushless with the BLX100 not a Mega with brushed motor.

Mine does the opposite of yours. LVC cuts power til it gets too low then won't run at all. Thermal protection shuts it off completely. But mine is brushless with the BLX100 not a Mega with brushed motor.
Yup. I can’t wait to learn all the quirks of a blx when I get my big rock (hopefully Father’s Day)

The total cost to get the above mentioned parts to hopefully fix my heat issue is around $60. For barely over $100 I could get a Hobby Wing EZRun MX10 brushless esc/motor combo. Planned on upgrading to brushless anyway, so wouldn't that be a better option in the long term? Also, would that brushless set up get enough power from a 2S Lipo?

The total cost to get the above mentioned parts to hopefully fix my heat issue is around $60. For barely over $100 I could get a Hobby Wing EZRun MX10 brushless esc/motor combo. Planned on upgrading to brushless anyway, so wouldn't that be a better option in the long term? Also, would that brushless set up get enough power from a 2S Lipo?
3s is always better. Can't never have too much power.

Yup, also gotta get the blx slipper clutch ($50-55 at jennys when they have ‘em) and I think a couple other things, I forget.
I’m doing that too I decided…but not till after I do a basic brushless upgrade on a 2wd Voltage for the learning experience.
Everything I have done to my granite can still be used when I upgrade to a brushless system with a few easy mods. Also, I’ve enjoyed the hell out of it just brushed, so worked smart on it to get it to work at 100%. Yes It’s slower but I can still clear a 12’ tabletop, and there’s also less damage from mistakes during jumping etc while I learn. None so far actually (even the infamous servo still works) and I cartwheel it and hit trees, land on the roof often... Landing only 2 jumps outta 10 etc at the bmx jumps while learning. I’ve 25 years worth of jumping my mountain bike but this is quite different. But yeah, going brushless makes sense when ready.
I understand brushless will run off 2s fine, just slower then 3s. Haven’t done it myself tho.
Good luck, fix it and enjoy what you got for awhile. Then upgrade it or sell it, give it to a kid in the family or something and get a blx.
I also need to look into how to monitor the battery voltage per cell and how to store them
Get a decent balance charger. There is much on the forum about those so do a search. Also, those lipo alarms tell you the individual cell count. 1st pic is total count. 2nd and 3rd are individual cell count. You’ve gotta have to have one if you run your car with the battery setting on NiMH because there won’t be an auto shut off when the cells hit 3.4. I Velcro it to my battery. It plugs into the balance port and I tape it each time because it will unplug during jumping. Don’t want to ruin my battery running it too low.

Attachments

• 5F086B2C-36B2-4418-A456-A8B25595B734.jpeg
    5F086B2C-36B2-4418-A456-A8B25595B734.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 1ABA7761-01BC-4738-B8FE-FAB588FB2BD0.jpeg
    1ABA7761-01BC-4738-B8FE-FAB588FB2BD0.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 41
  • C55A38DB-D1C3-42E0-B7FF-19BE0C3273F0.jpeg
    C55A38DB-D1C3-42E0-B7FF-19BE0C3273F0.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
@Velodromed I appreciate all the feedback you've given me. I want to keep this car and use it as a learning tool. Eventually, I will get something more serious. I'd love to get this thing able to do back flips off trees, flips off jumps and some wheelies. I also need to learn how the suspension is set up, how to take it apart, set it up, fix it when it's broke, etc. That's why I opted for the Mega over the BLX. I could have easily afforded the BLX, but going $300+ for an RC car, I'd rather be more mechanically inclined when it comes to caring for and fixing it.

@Velodromed I appreciate all the feedback you've given me. I want to keep this car and use it as a learning tool. Eventually, I will get something more serious. I'd love to get this thing able to do back flips off trees, flips off jumps and some wheelies. I also need to learn how the suspension is set up, how to take it apart, set it up, fix it when it's broke, etc. That's why I opted for the Mega over the BLX. I could have easily afforded the BLX, but going $300+ for an RC car, I'd rather be more mechanically inclined when it comes to caring for and fixing it.
Sure thing man, more than a few people took time and helped me over the last month or so here. It’s a cool thing this forum.
I tried a red cat volcano first because at that time I found it hard to spend much more than 150 bucks on an rc truck. I liked it but the thing broke quick…cheap plastics. I always get aftermarket warranties so turned it in and got the granite. I got the brushed version because I had no idea how much I would like it. Now I’m glad I got the brushed version. I also got three voltages for my me, my wife and her daughter to enjoy.
Entry level brushed was the best way to learn about this for me. It’s been almost as good a Hobby as cycling was for me. A bit better maybe because I can’t hurt myself much. I’ll convert one voltage to brushless before working on the granite.
Rock on man. Doing the Lipo alarm and putting the jumper on and NiMH as well as the two fans should take care of whatever issue it is. It took me a couple weeks to figure out but I’m glad I did those as I’ve had zero issues for 2 weeks.
I just heard from Horizon hobby that they’re sending me a new ESC (it’ll go in a voltage). A new servo also (eventually, on back order) because I mentioned to them mine was starting to twitch, which it has started to do as of yesterday. so HH service is great. Ill throw it in one of the voltages also though because I got one of those $19.99 25kg servos everyone always mentions.
Have fun man!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back