Esc problem Arrma big rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael12345

Reaction score
in December 2020 I bought a Arrma big rock for my son (and a bit for me ;)) After 2 weeks I encountered a ESC problem. Through my dealer Arrma supplied me with a new ESC free of charge. Now after a few weeks again same problem. I posted a link to YouTube to see the problem.
I’ve been running 2s and 3s also with the throttle limiter. I use the dusty motor seal every time. No big crashes or malfunctions whatsoever. The rust you can see on the pinion is from the stock bearings. These have been replaced with rubber sealed ones. Inside of motor looks good and clean.

does anyone know how what goes wrong here? Tnx in advance. Greetings from the Netherlands.

YouTube Arrma big rock esc malfunction

Water. Your video tells the story well enough. You are not alone and water/ snow is the common denominator here. Even a few drops in the wrong place will ruin Electrics. Corrosion sets in real fast.
OPEN that motor for us and so we can see how bad it is. That's your next anyway. 👍 Hopefully the stator and armature are not rusted out beyond repair. If its clean doesn't mean it didn't rust at the stator. Rubber sealed bearings aren't even fully WP. FWIW. SS BB's are best throught the whole rig for wet running. But can still wear out from water getting to the BB grease.
That motor needs serious attention. BB's are shot. Rusted and dry of any lube. A bad motor contributes to a bricked ESC FWIW.
No RC's are truly WP like the Mfr's state. Keep running in the wet and and you will keep going through ESC's motors and much of your electrics (servo and RX) etc.

I doubt highly that Pinion is rusted because of the motor's old Ball bearing being rusted. Makes no sense. There is rust all over that rig.
Just me.🤷‍♂️ I don't run in the wet if I can help it. Even if accidents happen and I hit that one deep puddle, I will absolutely clean out, dry it out, and re-lube the motor bearings. (drop of oil each after cleaning them) Right after a bash. Using a chassis cover does nothing to keep the chassis dry enough. Been there. Have covers and not partial to them. But they serve a purpose at times. Just does nothing to keep things dry.
It seems you know what you are doing there.
No argument here. Water is no good. You kind of answered your own question there.
Others may chime in with differing ideas on this.
Many threads here on AF with your issue. But seems you have under control better than most.🤷‍♂️

Water. Your video tells the story well enough. You are not alone and water/ snow is the common denominator here. Even a few drops in the wrong place will ruin Electrics. Corrosion sets in real fast.
OPEN that motor for us and so we can see how bad it is. That's your next anyway. 👍 Hopefully the stator and armature are not rusted out beyond repair. If its clean doesn't mean it didn't rust at the stator. Rubber sealed bearings aren't even fully WP. FWIW. SS BB's are best throught the whole rig for wet running. But can still wear out from water getting to the BB grease.
That motor needs serious attention. BB's are shot. Rusted and dry of any lube. A bad motor contributes to a bricked ESC FWIW.
No RC's are truly WP like the Mfr's state. Keep running in the wet and and you will keep going through ESC's motors and much of your electrics (servo and RX) etc.

I doubt highly that Pinion is rusted because of the motor's old Ball bearing being rusted. Makes no sense. There is rust all over that rig.
Just me.🤷‍♂️ I don't run in the wet if I can help it. Even if accidents happen and I hit that one deep puddle, I will absolutely clean out, dry it out, and re-lube the motor bearings. (drop of oil each after cleaning them) Right after a bash. Using a chassis cover does nothing to keep the chassis dry enough. Been there. Have covers and not partial to them. But they serve a purpose at times. Just does nothing to keep things dry.
It seems you know what you are doing there.
No argument here. Water is no good. You kind of answered your own question there.
Others may chime in with differing ideas on this.
Many threads here on AF with your issue. But seems you have under control better than most.🤷‍♂️
Thx for your respons and thoughts very helpful. The motor bb were not rusty only the drive train bb. Those have been replaced. I’ve added some photos of the inside of the motor. This morning I tried calibrating the esc. It worked partly. Motor was running normal again with a weird hick up when instantly giving it full throttle. I got a new motor from the local shop. Problem is still there. I’ve added a video. Would be much appreciated if you could give your opinion again

2DB1CFC6-3EDF-4102-8B3D-8551BB69F787.jpeg
603C80CD-A0A8-4A8F-A9B5-0C183201AB8D.jpeg
DBFE9B98-375A-4315-890D-7C83C51D8E55.jpeg

Esc problem 2

ESC is the next focus. May be bricked.
BTW, are the motor bearings still ok? Lubed them up? Bearings look a little dirty or have rust, cant tell well enough. Water entry comes at the front bearing usually
The pic of the armature is blurry. Is it in good shape. Wrapped well and no rips in the kevlar?

ESC is the next focus. May be bricked.
BTW, are the motor bearings still ok? Lubed them up? Bearings look a little dirty or have rust, cant tell well enough. Water entry comes at the front bearing usually
The pic of the armature is blurry. Is it in good shape. Wrapped well and no rips in the kevlar?
Tnx for your reply. The shop will provide me with an new esc. So that’s ok. Armature looks ok. Will take your advise to keep the bearings in the motor lubed well at heart.

Back