Granite ESC Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevinw71

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 4s
Hello I have installed 4 onyx 1/10 4pole 3000kv motor/70 amp esc 2 or 3s compatible in my granite 4x4. I get one run out of them and they quit working. what could be the cause of this. Please help

What batteries are you running... a 70 amp ESC sounds a bit anemic.... might be tripping an over amp protection.... or even overheating and thermally shutting down...

What batteries are you running... a 70 amp ESC sounds a bit anemic.... might be tripping an over amp protection.... or even overheating and thermally shutting down...
I'm running a 11.1v 5200 50c 3s or a 11.1v 7600mAh 75c 3s

Check your temps. Your system probably got too hot and the overheat protection shut it down. After it sits for about 5-10 minutes does it run again? What pinion are you running?

Check your temps. Your system probably got too hot and the overheat protection shut it down. After it sits for about 5-10 minutes does it run again? What pinion are you running?
no it doesn't run after I let it cool down and I'm running a 21 tooth pinion

no it doesn't run after I let it cool down and I'm running a 21 tooth pinion
Well, you might have killed your ESC. The Onyx system isn't the highest quality, especially for running 3s and those powerful batteries. For a little bit more money you should've went with a Hobbywing system. Would have worked out better for you. Is the Onyx ESC still under warranty by chance?

Well, you might have killed your ESC. The Onyx system isn't the highest quality, especially for running 3s and those powerful batteries. For a little bit more money you should've went with a Hobbywing system. Would have worked out better for you. Is the Onyx ESC still under warranty by chance?
yes it is I think im going to up grade to the hobbywing

yes it is I think im going to up grade to the hobbywing
Well, if it is still under warranty, get a hold of Horizon Hobby for a warranty replacement and ask if you can upgrade to a Hobbywing ESC, preferably the Max10sct, and pay the difference in price. The Max10sct is 2s-4s capable 120amp and will be the best option. If the Max10sct cannot be had then any Hobbywing 80a-150a ESC will do and will be leaps and bounds better than the Onyx ESC.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Well, if it is still under warranty, get a hold of Horizon Hobby for a warranty replacement and ask if you can upgrade to a Hobbywing ESC, preferably the Max10sct, and pay the difference in price. The Max10sct is 2s-4s capable 120amp and will be the best option. If the Max10sct cannot be had then any Hobbywing 80a-150a ESC will do and will be leaps and bounds better than the Onyx ESC.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.
Thank you so much for the help

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back