ESC Rebrand Conversion Guide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But most cars are at least designed by the seller right? AE didn't even design the monster trucks. Maybe I'm being naïve.

Some of the large brands have models they did not design, like the Losi DBXL it was not designed by Losi from what I recall. Horizon actually sells/sold quite a few cars that were designed by a third party that they sell under their different brands. The Maverick line from HPI is designed by HSP as another example.

Last edited:
Whats the BLX80 ESC in the old 2wd 1/10 BLX Raider, Fury, ADX-10 etc? I'm guessing it's a hobbywing but what model. It's not on the list above.

This one
Screenshot_20230124_122529_Google.jpg

Regarding "locked" ESCs, is anyone aware of any hardware hacking attempts, either in the past or ongoing?
I've heard it's been tried but no one was ever successful as far as I know.

Regarding "locked" ESCs, is anyone aware of any hardware hacking attempts, either in the past or ongoing?

I'm sure it's just some sort of ROM setting that need to be activated. Either by swapping/crossing out a set of pins or another pin port to connect to to program it...
But since the main circuit board is completely epoxied, it's Very difficult to get to without destroying the chip (or entire board) while you try and dig to it...

Fair enough, I've dealt with potting compound in the past and you are right, just not worth it... such a pain. My initial thought was to crack it open and do some exploring to see if any security has been implemented, but with it hermetically sealed, they likely didn't need to! IF/WHEN I blow up an ESC, I might have a look'n'see... Thanks @Tex Koder and @jkflow

Most likely it will be an identification string programmed into the ESC memory, same as settings. Nothing crazy magic, but you would have to get a programming tool with PC software and change that string. Breaking epoxy won't be necessary unless they implemented HW security somehow, which really isn't worth it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back