ESC Rebrand Conversion Guide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious, anyone know the differences between the Leopard 200a and the Max5? Any chance it works with a hobbywing programmer?

Curious, anyone know the differences between the Leopard 200a and the Max5? Any chance it works with a hobbywing programmer?

Without seeing the manual for the Leopard BL5 I would say the stickers as both have exactly the same specs.

Leopard BL5
Specifications:

• Continuous Current: 200A
  • Peak Current: 1,300A
  • Motor Type: Sensorless Brushless Motor
  • Applications: 1/5th Touring Car, Buggy, Truggy and Truck
  • Motor Limit: With 8S LiPo/24-Cell NiMH: KV ≤1000 (58110 size motor)
  • LiPo/NiMH Cells: 9-24S NiMH, 3-8S LiPo
  • BEC Output: 6V/7.2V Switchable, Continuous Current of 6A (Switch-mode BEC)
  • Cooling Fan: Powered by the stable BEC voltage of 6V/7.2V
  • Connectors: Input End: Wired with XT150 connectors for series connection to 2 batteries. Output End: Female 6.5mm Gold Connectors (pre-soldered onto the PCB of the speed controller)
  • Size (LxWxH): 93.35x58.12x47.81mm
  • Weight: 342g
  • Programming Port: FAN /PRG Port

Max5
Specifications:
  • Motor Type: Sensored / Sensorless Brushless Motor (only in sensorless mode)
  • Connectors: Input End: None, Output End: Female 6.5mm Gold Connectors (pre-soldered onto the PCB of the speed controller)
Yes you can use the Hobbywing program cards on the Leopard and even update it with Hobbywing firmware.

Without seeing the manual for the Leopard BL5 I would say the stickers as both have exactly the same specs.

Leopard BL5
Specifications:

• Motor Type: Sensorless Brushless Motor
  • Connectors: Input End: Wired with XT150 connectors for series connection to 2 batteries. Output End: Female 6.5mm Gold Connectors (pre-soldered onto the PCB of the speed controller)

Max5
Specifications:
  • Motor Type: Sensored / Sensorless Brushless Motor (only in sensorless mode)
  • Connectors: Input End: None, Output End: Female 6.5mm Gold Connectors (pre-soldered onto the PCB of the speed controller)
Yes you can use the Hobbywing program cards on the Leopard and even update it with Hobbywing firmware.
Thanks

This is a really handy thread. Well done for making it @DoNoHarm
Now if he would just spend the $20 on premium so he could maintain it himself :p

I'll try to do my best to keep the first post updated as new escs are released.

If anyone has any others, please chip in. Anything with nothing next to it means it is completely identical other than exterior features. For the abbreviations I used:
MMM= Mamba Monster Original
MM2= Mamba Monster 2
MMP= Mamba Max Pro
F310C= Castle Mamba Monster series made before 2013
F360C= Castle Mamba Monster series made from 2013 and up, not including the Mamba Monster X.
  • Traxxas MXL-6s= Castle MM2 (F360C)
  • Traxxas ET-3s= Castle MMP (WITH ONLY 3S LIPO CAPABILITY UNTIL HACKED, THEN YOU CAN USE 6S)
  • HPI Blur=Castle MMM (WITH LIMITED PROGRAMMABILITY) (F310/F360C)
  • HPI ELC-6s= Castle MM2 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING) (F360C)
  • HPI Rage= Hobbywing 8BL-120
  • HPI ELH-6s= Hobbywing 8BL-150
  • HPI Q-Base= Castle MMP (LIMITED PROGRAMMING, RESTRICTED TO 4S, INTERNAL CAPICITORS MODIFIED, CANNOT TAKE 6S)
  • Axial AE= Castle Sidewinder
  • Axial AE-2= Castle Sidewinder 2
  • Axial AE-3= Castle Sidewinder 3
  • Axial AE-4= Castle Sidewinder 8th
  • Arrma BLX-200= Hobbywing Max8 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Arrma BLX-185= Hobbywing 8BL-150 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Arrma BLX-120= Hobbywing Max10 SCT(LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Arrma BLX-100= Hobbywing Max10 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Hexfly HEX 8= Hobbywing Max8 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Hexfly Hex6= Hobbywing Max6 (SOME LIMITED TO 6S MAX, BOTH VERSIONS LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Hexfly Hex10= Hobbywing Max10 SCT (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Dynamite Fuze-150A= Hobbywing 8BL-150 (PROGRAM VIA DYNAMITE CARD)
  • Dynamite Fuze 160A= Hobbywing Max6 (PROGRAM LIMITED VIA DYNAMITE CARD, EXTREME HV BEC)
  • Dynamite Fuze 130A= Hobbywing SC8 (PROGRAM VIA DYNAMITE CARD)
  • Dynamite Fuze 90A= Castle Sidewinder 8th
  • Thunder Tiger BLC-150C= Hobbywing EzRun 150a (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Thunder Tiger BLC- 80C= Hobbywing EzRun 80a (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Ace 150a= Hobbywing EzRun 150a (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Reedy SC300-BL= Hobbywing Quicrun 16BL30. (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Reedy SC600-BL= Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL60 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Reedy SC800-BL= Hobbywing Quicrun WPBL80 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Reedy SC1000-BL= Hobbywing SC8 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Leopard BL5= Hobbywing Max5 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Leopard BL6= Hobbywing Max6 (Limited PROGRAMMING, ALL BL6 UNITS LIMITED TO 6S LIPO MAX)
  • HoBao 89421= Hobbywing Quicrun 8BL-150 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • HoBao 89341= Hobbywing Quicrun 8BL-100
  • Spektrum Firma 80a = Hobbywing Max10 SCT with smart features(limited to 3s.)
  • Spektrum Firma 100a = Hobbywing Max10 SCT with smart features(limited to 3s.)
  • Spektrum Firma 120a = Hobbywing Max10 SCT with smart features.
  • Spektrum Firma 130a = Hobbywing Max10 SCT with smart features.
  • Spektrum Firma 150a = Hobbywing Max8 with smart features.
  • Spektrum Firma 160a = Hobbywing Max6 with smart features.
  • Team Corally Torox 185 = Hobbywing Max8.
  • WP-6BL160 = Hobbywing Max6(COMES IN 6S AND 8S VERSIONS. SIMILAR TO THE HEX6)
EVERY CASTLE CREATIONS ESC REBRAND HAS ACCESS TO CASTLE LINK, THOSE WITH LIMITED PROGRAMMING MAY BE LIMITED TO CERTAIN FIRMWARE, LIKE HOW HPI MUST APPROVE CERTAIN FIRMWARE FOR YOU TO DOWNLOAD, BUT THEY CAN ALWAYS BE HACKED AND REFLASHED TO MODERN FIRMWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

DUE TO HOBBYWING'S PROGRAMMING METHOD, NONE OF THEIR REBRAND ESC'S CAN BE HACKED.

Any other labelings are appreciated. This took awhile, hopefully it’s a point of reference for people. The arrma esc’s also seem to be detuned along with the program limitation but the detune is most likely part of how they changed the programming, therefore will not be mentioned. Arrma, Traxxas and Dynamite are the only ones who actually changed the programming, the others just don’t have access to some minor features.

None of the castle systems have any modified programming, those with limited may not let you download certain firmware versions.
Not saying the list isn’t accurate but my hobbywing max 8 performs WAY better than my spektrum firma 150. There’s no way they are the same esc. No way.

Not saying the list isn’t accurate but my hobbywing max 8 performs WAY better than my spektrum firma 150. There’s no way they are the same esc. No way.
That's because they are neutered down compared to the real Hobbywing escs. The escs are designed by Hobbywing and altered to meet the needs of Spektrum so of course they aren't going to make a rtr esc that outperforms their in house version.

Spektrum does not make their own escs. Horizon Hobby has always used Hobbywing as their OEM. It is highly unlikely that Spektrum/Horizon Hobby would blatantly copy the design of 6 escs from their OEM.

Aside from Castle, Hobbywing, Maclan Racing, Tekin and Traxxas not a lot of companies actually make electronic speed controllers. Most of the cheapo eBay escs are either a knockoff, a clone or were reverse engineered poorly from old Hobbywing designs, some of them you can even flash with Hobbywing firmware.

Last edited:
That's because they are neutered down compared to the real Hobbywing escs. The escs are designed by Hobbywing and altered to meet the needs of Spektrum so of course they aren't going to make a rtr esc that outperforms their in house version.

Spektrum does not make their own escs. Horizon Hobby has always used Hobbywing as their OEM. It is highly unlikely that Spektrum/Horizon Hobby would blatantly copy the design of 6 escs from their OEM.

Aside from Castle, Hobbywing, Maclan Racing, Tekin and Traxxas not a lot of companies actually make electronic speed controllers. Most of the cheapo eBay escs are either a knockoff, a clone or were reverse engineered poorly from old Hobbywing designs, some of them you can even flash with Hobbywing firmware.
Oh ok thanks for the reply. But yeah that is different than calling it a rebranded hobbywing. People would be mislead by this and think it’s identical and will get the same performance! Not saying you called it a rebranded hobbywing but I have heard this before which is what led me to this list in the first place! But again, thanks for the reply!

If anyone has any others, please chip in. Anything with nothing next to it means it is completely identical other than exterior features. For the abbreviations I used:
MMM= Mamba Monster Original
MM2= Mamba Monster 2
MMP= Mamba Max Pro
F310C= Castle Mamba Monster series made before 2013
F360C= Castle Mamba Monster series made from 2013 and up, not including the Mamba Monster X.
  • Traxxas MXL-6s= Castle MM2 (F360C)
  • Traxxas ET-3s= Castle MMP (WITH ONLY 3S LIPO CAPABILITY UNTIL HACKED, THEN YOU CAN USE 6S)
  • HPI Blur=Castle MMM (WITH LIMITED PROGRAMMABILITY) (F310/F360C)
  • HPI ELC-6s= Castle MM2 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING) (F360C)
  • HPI Rage= Hobbywing 8BL-120
  • HPI ELH-6s= Hobbywing 8BL-150
  • HPI Q-Base= Castle MMP (LIMITED PROGRAMMING, RESTRICTED TO 4S, INTERNAL CAPICITORS MODIFIED, CANNOT TAKE 6S)
  • Axial AE= Castle Sidewinder
  • Axial AE-2= Castle Sidewinder 2
  • Axial AE-3= Castle Sidewinder 3
  • Axial AE-4= Castle Sidewinder 8th
  • Arrma BLX-200= Hobbywing Max8 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Arrma BLX-185= Hobbywing 8BL-150 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Arrma BLX-120= Hobbywing Max10 SCT(LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Arrma BLX-100= Hobbywing Max10 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Hexfly HEX 8= Hobbywing Max8 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Hexfly Hex6= Hobbywing Max6 (SOME LIMITED TO 6S MAX, BOTH VERSIONS LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Hexfly Hex10= Hobbywing Max10 SCT (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Dynamite Fuze-150A= Hobbywing 8BL-150 (PROGRAM VIA DYNAMITE CARD)
  • Dynamite Fuze 160A= Hobbywing Max6 (PROGRAM LIMITED VIA DYNAMITE CARD, EXTREME HV BEC)
  • Dynamite Fuze 130A= Hobbywing SC8 (PROGRAM VIA DYNAMITE CARD)
  • Dynamite Fuze 90A= Castle Sidewinder 8th
  • Thunder Tiger BLC-150C= Hobbywing EzRun 150a (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Thunder Tiger BLC- 80C= Hobbywing EzRun 80a (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Ace 150a= Hobbywing EzRun 150a (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Reedy SC300-BL= Hobbywing Quicrun 16BL30. (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Reedy SC600-BL= Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL60 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Reedy SC800-BL= Hobbywing Quicrun WPBL80 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Reedy SC1000-BL= Hobbywing SC8 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Leopard BL5= Hobbywing Max5 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • Leopard BL6= Hobbywing Max6 (Limited PROGRAMMING, ALL BL6 UNITS LIMITED TO 6S LIPO MAX)
  • HoBao 89421= Hobbywing Quicrun 8BL-150 (LIMITED PROGRAMMING)
  • HoBao 89341= Hobbywing Quicrun 8BL-100
  • Spektrum Firma 80a = Hobbywing Max10 SCT with smart features(limited to 3s.)
  • Spektrum Firma 100a = Hobbywing Max10 SCT with smart features(limited to 3s.)
  • Spektrum Firma 120a = Hobbywing Max10 SCT with smart features.
  • Spektrum Firma 130a = Hobbywing Max10 SCT with smart features.
  • Spektrum Firma 150a = Hobbywing Max8 with smart features.
  • Spektrum Firma 160a = Hobbywing Max6 with smart features.
  • Team Corally Torox 185 = Hobbywing Max8.
  • WP-6BL160 = Hobbywing Max6(COMES IN 6S AND 8S VERSIONS. SIMILAR TO THE HEX6)
EVERY CASTLE CREATIONS ESC REBRAND HAS ACCESS TO CASTLE LINK, THOSE WITH LIMITED PROGRAMMING MAY BE LIMITED TO CERTAIN FIRMWARE, LIKE HOW HPI MUST APPROVE CERTAIN FIRMWARE FOR YOU TO DOWNLOAD, BUT THEY CAN ALWAYS BE HACKED AND REFLASHED TO MODERN FIRMWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

DUE TO HOBBYWING'S PROGRAMMING METHOD, NONE OF THEIR REBRAND ESC'S CAN BE HACKED.

Any other labelings are appreciated. This took awhile, hopefully it’s a point of reference for people. The arrma esc’s also seem to be detuned along with the program limitation but the detune is most likely part of how they changed the programming, therefore will not be mentioned. Arrma, Traxxas and Dynamite are the only ones who actually changed the programming, the others just don’t have access to some minor features.

None of the castle systems have any modified programming, those with limited may not let you download certain firmware versions.
So is this actually rebranding or is this companies in China (which is well known for doing this) taking the products they make there and selling design and blueprints to other companies? I mean we all know they have RC cars and trucks made identical to another brand but made with lower grade materials...so exact is their RC's that the car it was copied from has every single part that fits like a glove. If the quality is good then great....lower price and a good product, but I'm just wondering if its actual rebranding or something more under the table. Just my thinking out loud again.:ROFLMAO:

So is this actually rebranding or is this companies in China (which is well known for doing this) taking the products they make there and selling design and blueprints to other companies? I mean we all know they have RC cars and trucks made identical to another brand but made with lower grade materials...so exact is their RC's that the car it was copied from has every single part that fits like a glove. If the quality is good then great....lower price and a good product, but I'm just wondering if its actual rebranding or something more under the table. Just my thinking out loud again.:ROFLMAO:
If the "borrowed" a design, and make it in a different factory, and try to pass it off as the original, that makes it more a counterfeit or clone. I don't think most big OEM's would use blatant counterfeit, when they can get unbranded hobbywing B grade for dirt cheap, or a "personal" branded hobbywing for a bit more. Even places like HobbyKing figured out that they needed to put their name on it, or mark it as a clone.

The spektrum firms is actually a hobbywing 8BL150A without their proprietary programming. Either the design changed since I made the thread or it was written wrong. Not a max8. That you are correct.

The spektrum firms is actually a hobbywing 8BL150A without their proprietary programming. Either the design changed since I made the thread or it was written wrong. Not a max8. That you are correct.
Oh shoot that is my bad. I am mistaken it is a 8BL150 not a Max8. I just assumed since the other escs were rebranded Max series escs that they all were.
It's rebranding.
Here are examples of Chinese escs.

The first 2 are piss poor Hobbywing knockoffs.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384442172810?hash=item59828a058a:g:pr8AAOSwvQhhZS-O
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174651093264?hash=item28aa043110:g:NMkAAOSwiv5dnDnB
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402989257965?hash=item5dd40814ed:g:HocAAOSw145g7I9h
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174124114268?hash=item288a9b215c:g:LWgAAOSw08dd8waf
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373657238273?hash=item56ffb4fb01:g:CRkAAOSwl~tg-UpL
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363477270198?hash=item54a0eefeb6:g:FRcAAOSwP4xg-Uuk
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144246445674?hash=item2195c2166a:g:rngAAOSwRchhZ8gY
https://www.ebay.com/itm/312730566463?hash=item48d031bf3f:g:6V0AAOSwWQZdUnv8

One thing you notice about the Chinese escs is they are either unbranded or have the same design sold under many different brands.

Last edited:
All good man. My boy picked up a K6S V5 the other day (he’s really into RC, more than me nowdays) and it is certainly not a max8.

If the "borrowed" a design, and make it in a different factory, and try to pass it off as the original, that makes it more a counterfeit or clone. I don't think most big OEM's would use blatant counterfeit, when they can get unbranded hobbywing B grade for dirt cheap, or a "personal" branded hobbywing for a bit more. Even places like HobbyKing figured out that they needed to put their name on it, or mark it as a clone.
I meant "borrowed" as in the tech part it. I could gut a castle esc and place it in another esc and no one would know. But if I made the same thing (internals and tech) named different and looked different it would be seen as rebranded but without the quality control its not the same item just rebranded. I am NOT saying anyone here is wrong or right I'm just speaking my mind. I know theres ways to see what companies are one in the same but that would take more thinking and researching than I'm willing to do. haha Nothing I say is meant to challenge or offend on here...please keep that in mind everyone.:angelic: :LOL:

I meant "borrowed" as in the tech part it. I could gut a castle esc and place it in another esc and no one would know. But if I made the same thing (internals and tech) named different and looked different it would be seen as rebranded but without the quality control its not the same item just rebranded. I am NOT saying anyone here is wrong or right I'm just speaking my mind. I know theres ways to see what companies are one in the same but that would take more thinking and researching than I'm willing to do. haha Nothing I say is meant to challenge or offend on here...please keep that in mind everyone.:angelic: :LOL:
Where do you think most of the Chinese escs get their technology? It is reverse engineered from companies like Hobbywing and Castle.

If Brand A takes their ESC and puts different branding on it (Arrma, Firma) that is rebranding.

If company B copies Brand A's design, that is a Clone/Counterfeit ESC.

Rebrand = legit product, quality probably similar to the best the mfgr can make.

Clone/Counterfeit = fake, quality is a dice roll at best, as QC costs money they won't want to spend, cuz, if the ECS fails, and has a "Brand A" sticker on it, Brand A will get the blame, and Brand B will still make their $$$.

If Brand A takes their ESC and puts different branding on it (Arrma, Firma) that is rebranding.

If company B copies Brand A's design, that is a Clone/Counterfeit ESC.

Rebrand = legit product, quality probably similar to the best the mfgr can make.

Clone/Counterfeit = fake, quality is a dice roll at best, as QC costs money they won't want to spend, cuz, if the ECS fails, and has a "Brand A" sticker on it, Brand A will get the blame, and Brand B will still make their $$$.
Well said. Thats what I was saying. My only point was (not that this is the case in this thread) sometimes people mistake a clone as a rebranded product. If something is rebranded there is a way to know for sure if the two companies fall under one company (which is rebranding). Example....in any given town/city...one grocery store could be the same company as the next grocery store but the idea is to give people options and go to one cause they have a sale.....the one company that has two stores get the money either store makes....rebranding...fully legal.
Reverse engineering and useing substandard parts under your own name...legal works fine word gets out everyone happy. People start to compare specs and see no differences...all good. But I personally feel that the comparison is misleading and calling it rebranded unless we know that it is in fact rebranded is just a guess/assumption of rebranding. Again just food for thought....my 2 cents.

Rebranding is a marketing strategy in which a new name, term, symbol, design, concept or combination thereof is created for an established brand with the intention of developing a new, differentiated identity in the minds of consumers, investors, competitors, and other stakeholders.

So unless its dug deep enough to truly know....hobbywing and castle could be the same company.

Last edited:
Well said. Thats what I was saying. My only point was (not that this is the case in this thread) sometimes people mistake a clone as a rebranded product. If something is rebranded there is a way to know for sure if the two companies fall under one company (which is rebranding). Example....in any given town/city...one grocery store could be the same company as the next grocery store but the idea is to give people options and go to one cause they have a sale.....the one company that has two stores get the money either store makes....rebranding...fully legal.
Reverse engineering and useing substandard parts under your own name...legal works fine word gets out everyone happy. People start to compare specs and see no differences...all good. But I personally feel that the comparison is misleading and calling it rebranded unless we know that it is in fact rebranded is just a guess/assumption of rebranding. Again just food for thought....my 2 cents.

Rebranding is a marketing strategy in which a new name, term, symbol, design, concept or combination thereof is created for an established brand with the intention of developing a new, differentiated identity in the minds of consumers, investors, competitors, and other stakeholders.

So unless its dug deep enough to truly know....hobbywing and castle could be the same company.

Nope.

Hobbywing was started and is based out of Shenzhen China. Hobbywing USA is based out of California somewhere.

Castle Creations was created by Patrick Del Castillo and is run from Olathe Kansas.

Also found this nice tidbit on the Hobbywing website

"HOBBYWING technology has been helping more than 500 RC companies launch their brands worldwide. Every project is unique so that we practice a strict role-based on ISO 9001 protocol. ISO 9001 is the international standard that specifies requirements for a quality management system (QMS). HOBBYWING technology uses that standard to demonstrate the ability to consistently provide products and services that meet customer and regulatory requirements."

"RTR / RTF products are not HOBBYWING branded products although products may look alike, and often identical in some cases. Most, if not all of the RTR brands have price point topics to address. This happens by removing features. The products HOBBYWING support staff is familiar with does not include any of the OEM, RTR, or "Private Label" products. The details on all of that is kept under extremely confidential agreements between HOBBYWING technology and the companies. There are no RTR or OEM ESC's that this support staff is able to assist with."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back