ESC/Receiver compatibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. 4x4-Mega
Im not sure if this has been asked before, but, i looked and couldnt find anything on it. Basically, my question is, if i upgrade from a brushed to a brushless motor, do i also need to change the receiver? I know i need the brushless motor and ESC, but, is that all i need. For example, and, just for my own knowledge, since i am always trying to swap and mix and match stuff, but, have never done much interchanging of electronics, say i have a Redcat Hexfly receiver, and a Racers Edge ESC and brushless motor, can i just plug the ESC into the existing receiver, or, do i also have to use the matching Racers Edge receiver? Another example, and one im really more interested in is, i have an Arrma Fury, and what i want to actually do is take the receiver from that, and put into a Redcat Volcano, since my 9 year old is more comfortable with the Arrma ATX 300 transmitter i have, due to being able to move the steering wheel to different positions. This way, if i can do mix and match like that, i can swap the Arrma receiver into her Redcat, and then use her Redcat receiver and transmitter for the Fury, or, even use the Racers Edge transmitter and receiver in the Fury. I am also picking up a used Arrma Senton on monday, that needs a mtor and ESC, so, i am going to use the brushless motor and ESC from my racers edge Pro 2 that i destroyed, and keep the original Transmitter that comes with the Senton. I may also end up using the Redcat transmitter in the Senton, my Racers Edge transmitter and receiver in the Fury, and my ATX 300 for the Volcano, which is why i am asking about doing just random swaps from vehicle to vehicle. I like the Racers Edge and the Redcat transmitters, but, when i tested out the Senton today, i wasnt really keen on how that transmitter felt. Sorry if this seems at all confusing, im just trying to list all the possibilities i can think of, just in case one combo, say the Redcat receiver and Racers Edge ESC will work, but, say, the Racers Edge ESC and motor wont work with the ATX300 and receiver. Im also trying not to do trial and error, so i don't ruin anything.

You need a brushless esc to work with a brushless motor but any esc can be connected to any receiver.

You need a brushless esc to work with a brushless motor but any esc can be connected to any receiver.

Thank you. I know the ESC and motor have to match, as in brushed ESC and brushed motor, and brushless ESC and brushless motor, and that you cant mix a brushless motor with a brushed ESC, or vice-versa, i just wasnt sure about ESC to receiver compatibility.

I'm using g a Arrma 100 reciever with a red cat transmitter mine seem to be compatible should just have to bind your controller without switching recievers

Thank you. I know the ESC and motor have to match, as in brushed ESC and brushed motor, and brushless ESC and brushless motor, and that you cant mix a brushless motor with a brushed ESC, or vice-versa, i just wasnt sure about ESC to receiver compatibility.
Some brushless esc's can also run brushed motors, fyi. Not that it's overly relevant to your question, but odds are, if you buy an aftermarket brushless esc, you can use it with your brushed motor if you fry your brushless motor.

I am trying to change mine out right now and I cannot find where to put my old servo wires at all. Do I need a new receiver to make it work? I bought a combo motor and esc but do not know how to hook up the servo. Any help?

You do not need to change receivers.
Post a picture of your isse and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

What receiver model do you have? They all have a throttle and steering port, ESC goes into throttle, servo into steering port.

The mega srs on the voltage 2wd. I found where to connect to the servo but when I turn the wheels it powers the motor and when I squeeze the trigger nothing happens.
This is the set up. The white red and black can be connected both way but only one has power to receiver . And when I squeeze trigger nothing happens. But when I turn the wheel the motor spins. Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_002104465.jpg
    IMG_20201231_002104465.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 272
The mega srs on the voltage 2wd. I found where to connect to the servo but when I turn the wheels it powers the motor and when I squeeze the trigger nothing happens.
This is the set up. The white red and black can be connected both way but only one has power to receiver . And when I squeeze trigger nothing happens. But when I turn the wheel the motor spins. Suggestions?

Can't really tell what you got going on in that pic. But if you change to a different esc you need to get a new transmitter receiver set.

If the steering wont work, reverse the plug for the servo. They only go one way. The red is +, the black is -, and the white is signal. If you look on the ESC you should see the symbols on it. Just match the servo plug to the diagram, or try plugging it in one way, and if that don't work, reverse the servo plug. As for why the steering controls the throttle, it may have fried or shorted the ESC. The 3-in-1 ESC that car uses i have never dealt with, so i don't know much about it, but typical ESC's will do weird things when they start to go bad. Another thought, where is the jumper set? If you have it on the NIMH setting, and try to use a LIPO with it, or, have it on LIPO and try to use a NIMH with it, it will also act funny. Another thing i just noticed, it looks like you are trying to connect your old ESC to the 3-in-1, unless i am looking at the pic wrong. The pic shows two ESC's, and it wont work like that. You need to completely remove the ESC with the fan, hook the servo to the Arrma ESC, and then bind the Arrma 3-in-1 to an Arrma radio. The pic shows how it should be set up. Are you trying to use a brushed or brushless motor? The 3-in-1 (red) ESC will only work with a brushed motor, and the ESC with the fan looks like it is for a brushless motor. Where you have the BL ESC plugged in is strictly for binding the ESC to the radio.

ARRMA-RTR-Fazon-Granite-Voltage-Trucks-3.jpg

Last edited:
I need new servo and receiver. I got a motor esc combo but it won't work with mine unless I don't understand it. I can hook it up with the original receiver but it is receiver/ esc combo. I just got esc motor. The original is a five wire for the servo and the other is only a three wire. So if there is a way to do it without new servo and receiver I would muchly appreciate the help.
I only have the original receiver/ esc combo that came on the truck. I can hook it all together and get power and movement to the wheels but when I turn the wheels the motor kicks in as well. I'm just really confused. But would my best option be new receiver and servo to get the new motor running? What my question really is can I use the original receiver and servo with the new esc??

I need new servo and receiver. I got a motor esc combo but it won't work with mine unless I don't understand it. I can hook it up with the original receiver but it is receiver/ esc combo. I just got esc motor. The original is a five wire for the servo and the other is only a three wire. So if there is a way to do it without new servo and receiver I would muchly appreciate the help.
I only have the original receiver/ esc combo that came on the truck. I can hook it all together and get power and movement to the wheels but when I turn the wheels the motor kicks in as well. I'm just really confused. But would my best option be new receiver and servo to get the new motor running? What my question really is can I use the original receiver and servo with the new esc??
First, lets start with this. Which ESC are you trying to hook up, the red one, or the one with the fan?

The one with the fan. Its the new one. But the red one is esc/ receiver combo that came on it.
Because I got a new motor and esc I'm trying to install but the receiver on the truck is the original receiver esc combo. Does that make sense.

Then you will need a radio, receiver, and servo. The red Arrma 3-in-1 has the receiver and ESC built in, and wont control another ESC. The ESC you are trying to hook up can only be hooked to a separate receiver. As for the servo, as far as i know, very few newer receiver's will connect to a 5 wire servo. You're best bet is either stick with the original 3-in-1 setup, or, get a cheap radio with receiver, and a new ESC. You can get DumboRC radios, with the receiver for around $40, and you can get all metal geared servo's on eBay and Amazon for around $20.

Then you will need a radio, receiver, and servo. The red Arrma 3-in-1 has the receiver and ESC built in, and wont control another ESC. The ESC you are trying to hook up can only be hooked to a separate receiver. As for the servo, as far as i know, very few newer receiver's will connect to a 5 wire servo. You're best bet is either stick with the original 3-in-1 setup, or, get a cheap radio with receiver, and a new ESC. You can get DumboRC radios, with the receiver for around $40, and you can get all metal geared servo's on eBay and Amazon for around $20.
I already have a new esc. Got an upgraded motor esc combo. Didn't realize original receiver was the esc as well. So as of now I am pretty sure I need receiver and servo.

I already have a new esc. Got an upgraded motor esc combo. Didn't realize original receiver was the esc as well. So as of now I am pretty sure I need receiver and servo.
Thats what i said. You need a new radio and receiver, and a new servo. What radio do you have?

Thats what i said. You need a new radio and receiver, and a new servo. What radio do you have?
Just the original right now. But I found one a dumborc 6ch with receiver and gyro for 35$ and servo for 18$ wish I would have done little more research to get it done correctly than to just go into it. But I had a few people tell me a whole bunch of thing yes and no. So lesson learned. But now I have to hurry and wait for everything again. Be down and out until I get it. Another question I have is do you know where I can find upgraded metal parts for my truck. Drivetrain and idle gears and such?

Just the original right now. But I found one a dumborc 6ch with receiver and gyro for 35$ and servo for 18$ wish I would have done little more research to get it done correctly than to just go into it. But I had a few people tell me a whole bunch of thing yes and no. So lesson learned. But now I have to hurry and wait for everything again. Be down and out until I get it. Another question I have is do you know where I can find upgraded metal parts for my truck. Drivetrain and idle gears and such?
I run that DumboRC and it is a great radio. Did you order the KS-3518 servo? Great little servo for the price.

Don't just start upgrading things to metal unless you have good reason to do so. Is this for the Senton? Is this a Mega or 3S Senton? Big difference. What size and KV rating motor are you installing in the Senton? What battery are you planning to run it on? What is the exact model of the ESC that you will be using?

I run that DumboRC and it is a great radio. Did you order the KS-3518 servo? Great little servo for the price.

Don't just start upgrading things to metal unless you have good reason to do so. Is this for the Senton? Is this a Mega or 3S Senton? Big difference. What size and KV rating motor are you installing in the Senton? What battery are you planning to run it on? What is the exact model of the ESC that you will be using?
Its the granite voltage. I am installing a brushless motor and I didn't want things to start breaking first time out with all the new power is why I was asking about it. And right now I'm running 2s new esc can do 3s. But I can't do anything until I get other parts. The servo I was looking at is an animos .

Screenshot_20201231-124230.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back