ESC recommendation 3S BLX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eluder

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
Ok, I know this is a loaded question with a lot of opinions but I am hoping for some insight. I am mechanically inclined but still green to the upgrade game.

Long story short I have both a Senton and Granite 3S BLX but only one ESC for them. I am content with the 100BLX for the Senton but am hoping for some different performance in my Granite. My first real Bashing RC was a used Savage XS which proved to be a blast but man that thing sucked to work on and ripped itself apart while I learned how to drive.

The one thing I miss going to the Arrma is the quick reaction time going from forward to reverse and from reverse to forward. The Arrma takes several pulls to get it to slow down and change directions. I realize that this is probably one of the factors that ripped my Savage XS apart but is there an ESC that will give me that quicker reaction without all the destruction that will work with my stock motor? I don't need instant reaction but the extended delay takes away some fun for me.

Last edited:
Also forgot to mention I am running 3S.

Sidewinder 4? For your application....
Once you cross into the world of nice programmable ESC's, you wont look back. Settings galore.(y)

Sidewinder 4?
This is the one I have almost pulled the trigger on but didn't know if it would do what I want without destroying my drivetrain or if there are other options that will perform as well.

I don't use that. I have all 6S rigs. And on my Crawlers I prefer Brushed motors.
But the Castle SW4 is popular for many types of RC rigs. It is so versatile. Even in Crawlers to SC and so on.
Compare its specs to that of the OE ESC and OE motor to see if its a good match. Just some ideas. I'm sure there are other options like HW etc. I use a HW combo on my TeknoMT. Happy with it. Runs cooler with 6s than my Arrma OE esc's do.
BTW, Arrma's esc's are rebranded Hobbywing OE esc's. It may work they way you are used to with that F/R delay. It does protect the drive train. And allows for good braking before it engages reverse. I know what you mean.

Last edited:
Ok, I know this is a loaded question with a lot of opinions but I am hoping for some insight. I am mechanically inclined but still green to the upgrade game.

Long story short I have both a Senton and Granite 3S BLX but only one ESC for them. I am content with the 100BLX for the Senton but am hoping for some different performance in my Granite. My first real Bashing RC was a used Savage XS which proved to be a blast but man that thing sucked to work on and ripped itself apart while I learned how to drive.

The one thing I miss going to the Arrma is the quick reaction time going from forward to reverse and from reverse to forward. The Arrma takes several pulls to get it to slow down and change directions. I realize that this is probably one of the factors that ripped my Savage XS apart but is there an ESC that will give me that quicker reaction without all the destruction that will work with my stock motor? I don't need instant reaction but the extended delay takes away some fun for me.

Tactic radio or Spektrum STX2? Did you do the Throttle setup procedure?

The Sidewinder 3 and 4 escs have weak BEC's stock servos are fine but some aftermarket servos require more power than Sidewinder BEC's can put out and you get brownout's. Castle doesn't even give amp ratings on the escs's so hard to tell if it's any better than any other. Amp ratings can be inflated but at least it's something loosely you can go by while looking at escs.

I thought the SW3 was lame. The SW4 was completely revamped for the reasons you stated above. The two are supposedly different esc's altogether. Am I wrong?
I don't own one but have seen reviews, independent and otherwise that explained the differences. Mostly in the Crawler segment where it is popular. John Holmes Hobbies loves the SW4. It has 5volt 2 amp BEC.
http://www.castlecreations.com/en/sidewinder-4-sensorless-esc-only-010-0164-00
http://www.castlecreations.com/en/s...on-w-1415-2400-sensor-ready-motor-010-0164-07

Last edited:
I thought the SW3 was lame. The SW4 was completely revamped for the reasons you stated above. The two are supposedly different esc's altogether. Am I wrong?
I don't own one but have seen reviews, independent and otherwise that explained the differences. Mostly in the Crawler segment where it is popular. John Holmes Hobbies loves the SW4. It has 5volt 2 amp BEC.
http://www.castlecreations.com/en/sidewinder-4-sensorless-esc-only-010-0164-00

Still a 5v 2a BEC. The fan is added in where before you had to purchase it yourself. Some things were redesigned to make it run cooler and supposably more power efficient. It's just hard to say or gauge what motor you can run with them.

Thanx for the insight . That BEC is horrible at 5v 2 amps. Old school specs for sure. Most decent BEC's are 6v 3 amps minimum. I don't know what Castle was thinking. I guess that's why Castle sells a lot of their external adjustable BEC's.:( I have seen someone here on AF tried using the SW. You end up being very limited with servos.

Tactic radio or Spektrum STX2? Did you do the Throttle setup procedure?

Mine came with the STX2 but that thing was bad from the first battery pack. The throttle and steering would stick, i had to run after it. I have a Tactic from a Crawler I upgraded but am using the HPI TF-40 from my abandoned savage because I like the feel better, it actually seems to be a pretty decent radio. I have done the setup procedure, like this correct? but will try it again and check. I can also hook up the tactic if that would solve my problems.

Thanks for the info on the SW4, anyway around it I need to get another ESC. The other popular option around that price seems to be the HW MAX10 SCT. I really don't want to spend more than that on this truck as I want to put the funds towards a 6S rig... honestly less would be better but I don't want to cheap out and regret it. This is the extra servo I have ready to use.

Max 10 has really nice specs, switchable BEC 6v,7.4v at 3amps. 2s-3s lipo. The price is right also.(y)

Max 10 has really nice specs, switchable BEC 6v,7.4v at 3amps. 2s-3s lipo. The price is right also.(y)
It will perform exactly like the BLX100, with a better BEC and more program options. But from a pure performance perspective, they are basically identical.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back