ESC Smoked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aloring3

Premium Member!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hopefully my final problem of the day. I installed a lipo battery with and EC3 connector. Plugged it into my Arrma Granite and the ESC just started to smoke like crazy. Now nothing works. Any advice? The battery still seems good.

Attachments

• Connector.jpg
    Connector.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 123
Did you pay attention to how it was wired? This sounds remarkably like your last problem. And what type of LiPo did you connect?

That is one thing I bugs me about Arrma's ESCs - all wires are black. Easy to screw up and solder the plug on backwards. When I work on one of my Arrma ESC's, I always add red electrical tape to the (+) wire so I can have some hope of keeping them straight.

This is the exact battery and blue connector I put in the Granite and it started to smoke. I have no idea if they gave me the wrong blue connector too. What a day! Two cars went up in smoke!

Attachments

• Battery and Connector.jpg
    Battery and Connector.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 66
That is one thing I bugs me about Arrma's ESCs - all wires are black. Easy to screw up and solder the plug on backwards. When I work on one of my Arrma ESC's, I always add red electrical tape to the (+) wire so I can have some hope of keeping them straight.

I know what your saying.. would be nice if one had a tracer at least.. but this is a mega, one wire is red+.. one is black-...
This is the exact battery and blue connector I put in the Granite and it started to smoke. I have no idea if they gave me the wrong blue connector too. What a day! Two cars went up in smoke!

unfortunately the picture doesn't show anything because the esc is not in the equation.. so lets get down to the brass tacks.. was the red wire on the battery hooked to the red wire on the esc while it was all pugged in...

seems to me the adaptor (ec3 to 3c5) you have is soldered backwards on the ec3 side.. so that means the polarity was reversed cooking both esc's...✌

I know what your saying.. would be nice if one had a tracer at least.. but this is a mega, one wire is red+.. one is black-...

unfortunately the picture doesn't show anything because the esc is not in the equation.. so lets get down to the brass tacks.. was the red wire on the battery hooked to the red wire on the esc while it was all pugged in...

seems to me the adaptor (ec3 to 3c5) you have is soldered backwards on the ec3 side.. so that means the polarity was reversed cooking both esc's...✌
Sorry for all the silly questions. I have only had this since Friday. Sounds like the Hobby Store gave me the wrong equipment and fried two ECS's and a brand new battery along the way. Hopefully I am wrong.

Attachments

• Car.jpg
    Car.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 60
Ec3 to xt60 is the adapter from a yellow connector to a blue connector. To confirm if it is wired wrong. If you already know this then don't worry about it

Ec3 to xt60 is the adapter from a yellow connector to a blue connector. To confirm if it is wired wrong. If you already know this then don't worry about it
I am not sure about anything. All I know is that it smoked.

Attachments

• Car and Battery.jpg
    Car and Battery.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 51
I am not sure about anything. All I know is that it smoked.
it's hard to tell from that picture. But just take it up to the hobby shop tomorrow and see what they say. They will be able to recognize very quickly if they wired it wrong

Sorry for all the silly questions. I have only had this since Friday. Sounds like the Hobby Store gave me the wrong equipment and fried two ECS's and a brand new battery along the way. Hopefully I am wrong.

not silly at all my friend..?everyone is new to it at some point.. the only silly questions are the ones not asked..

it is super strange because from the last picture posted it does appear to be the correct polarity.. was all of this purchased at a local hobby shop or online?

not silly at all my friend..?everyone is new to it at some point.. the only silly questions are the ones not asked..

it is super strange because from the last picture posted it does appear to be the correct polarity.. was all of this purchased at a local hobby shop or online?
Everything was purchased at the local hobby shop. She said to drop everything off in the morning and she will have one of the guys get it all straightened out. Just frustrating because other than the first picture posted which did have the wrong polarity and caused the Traxxas Slash battery to be ruined and im guessing the ESC.

The lipo with the connector and the Granite seemed to me to be connected correctly. However, when I plugged it in all the smoke told a different story. So now my guess is the ESC is blown.

So at the end of the day my guess is the Traxxas Slash and Granite ESC's are blown and a battery got ruined...possible two battteries. Goodnews is we had fun for two days!

Everything was purchased at the local hobby shop. She said to drop everything off in the morning and she will have one of the guys get it all straightened out. Just frustrating because other than the first picture posted which did have the wrong polarity and caused the Traxxas Slash battery to be ruined and im guessing the ESC.

The lipo with the connector and the Granite seemed to me to be connected correctly. However, when I plugged it in all the smoke told a different story. So now my guess is the ESC is blown.

So at the end of the day my guess is the Traxxas Slash and Granite ESC's are blown and a battery got ruined...possible two battteries. Goodnews is we had fun for two days!

im glad they are willing to take it in and look at it all for you.. hopefully they will get you sorted fairly quickly.. ?

Update:
The slash needed a new motor. The Granite needed a new ESC and the battery was ruined because the adaptor was wired wrong. Good news is they fixed it all and I only had to pay for the new motor. Great local hobby shop.
Very happy for you!
I'm not really sold on the "great" after they gave you two electronics-killing adapters back to back :LOL: But as long as they sorted it out..

Everything is back up and running! They swapped out a Li-Po battery for the NiHM they blew because of the wrong polarity. The Li-Po seems a bit faster and the run time was better! Great day!
Very happy for you!
I'm not really sold on the "great" after they gave you two electronics-killing adapters back to back :LOL: But as long as they sorted it out..

Everything is back up and running! They swapped out a Li-Po battery for the NiHM they blew because of the wrong polarity. The Li-Po seems a bit faster and the run time was better! Great day!
That was really nice of them to hook you up with a lipo in blace of the nimh.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back