Fireteam ESC tuning? Punch settings to motor degree timing ratio? Punch goes to 9 motor degree timing goes from 0 to I believe 80 something

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyphoonS3

Reaction score
Hello guys I've recently just getting into the ESC tuning it's pretty neat but it obviously allows you to destroy your vehicle 10 times as fast. My punch setting goes up to 9, which all I want to do is backflips on the takeoff, I think the punch is the acceleration. The motor timing/degree I believe the lower it is the longer it takes in for the power to kick in. Does anyone have a good recommendation on punch settings to motor timing degree ratio? In just one more weird question why would you want to change your running mode where there's Forward and brake only or Forward brake and reverse, why would you want to take reverse away? Thanks guys I appreciate your time and by the way don't ever set your break strength too strong because when you're coming in hot and hit your brakes you may just do a front flip and take someone out.

Screenshot_20220819-022242.png

Standing backflips is cool, but is heavy for the drivetrain (gears, cups). Depends on what style of driving you like.
In my Mojave I recently lowered punch to lowest setting (1) and even with 2 big lipo’s, battery tray moved forward, DIY front windshield it wants to lift up the front tires a little a full power.
When jumping a higher punch can help you with air control.

Eliminating reverse is for to competition racing.
Lower timing is for more low end power, higher timing for more top speed. For a big heavy basher like the Fireteam I’d go for lower timing which also helps a little with lowering motor temperature.

I've seen it suggested that the timing be turned down to 15. When turning the timing down the motor also puts out less heat. On my Kraton 6s with Castle MMX 8s/1650kv motor, I turned my motor timing down to 15 from 22.

At the factory punch setting, the Kraton wheelied at the slightest throttle input. After turning the punch down one notch, my Kraton no longer wheelies all the time, but I can still get it to wheelie on command with a quick pull of the trigger. It's much more controllable.

Hello guys I've recently just getting into the ESC tuning it's pretty neat but it obviously allows you to destroy your vehicle 10 times as fast. My punch setting goes up to 9, which all I want to do is backflips on the takeoff, I think the punch is the acceleration. The motor timing/degree I believe the lower it is the longer it takes in for the power to kick in. Does anyone have a good recommendation on punch settings to motor timing degree ratio? In just one more weird question why would you want to change your running mode where there's Forward and brake only or Forward brake and reverse, why would you want to take reverse away? Thanks guys I appreciate your time and by the way don't ever set your break strength too strong because when you're coming in hot and hit your brakes you may just do a front flip and take someone out.

View attachment 237804

Good replies above (y)

Opposite...I do not like standing flips or wheelies, so I keep my punch low. Fireteam, I took it way down as well as on my Kraton EXB 6S. On Spektrum ESCs, a good setting is 15deg on the timing. Arrma sets it way too high at 22deg runs too hot...yes fast for the Arrma fun but comes with a catch. It is one of those things I advise testing to see what you like. 22deg is almost like another pinion 1 up setting. So ways what your temps.

I apologize fellas apparently I don't have the redneck setting on my voice recognition on my phone. I meant all it does is backflips on punch setting 9, I don't want to do back flips I'm not rich. I couldn't tell you the exact temperature I put my fingers on the side of the motor, not the thermal release vents. If I can hold them there I'm okay with that if I can't I am not. I will definitely lower the degree of the motor which will keep my motor cooler hopefully. Because obviously why wouldn't armmor set everything way too high, I would if I own the company that's how they make money. I guess I was just kind of looking for a ratio between motor degree, punch setting and the 50-75-100 settings on the controller. But I appreciate all the info I think I got it now thanks to the guys who have been patient. This is the best site form I have ever been on everyone is helpful unbelievable thanks again fellas.

Good replies above (y)

Opposite...I do not like standing flips or wheelies, so I keep my punch low. Fireteam, I took it way down as well as on my Kraton EXB 6S. On Spektrum ESCs, a good setting is 15deg on the timing. Arrma sets it way too high at 22deg runs too hot...yes fast for the Arrma fun but comes with a catch. It is one of those things I advise testing to see what you like. 22deg is almost like another pinion 1 up setting. So ways what your temps.
What I learned from my typhon is, that timing seems to be much harder then a couple of extra teeth. I dropped timing to 15 degree and upped my pinion to 18t. It runs way cooler then with stock 22 degree and 16t pinion. This also gave me a little bit more top end. Currently trying out a 20t pinion on 15 degree, but temps went back up to where I started. Will try and see if my motor holds up (mostly because I want a max8 g2 combo, but I'm currently not willing to spend the money and if the motor gives out, I need a new one :D).

I apologize fellas apparently I don't have the redneck setting on my voice recognition on my phone. I meant all it does is backflips on punch setting 9, I don't want to do back flips I'm not rich. I couldn't tell you the exact temperature I put my fingers on the side of the motor, not the thermal release vents. If I can hold them there I'm okay with that if I can't I am not. I will definitely lower the degree of the motor which will keep my motor cooler hopefully. Because obviously why wouldn't armmor set everything way too high, I would if I own the company that's how they make money. I guess I was just kind of looking for a ratio between motor degree, punch setting and the 50-75-100 settings on the controller. But I appreciate all the info I think I got it now thanks to the guys who have been patient. This is the best site form I have ever been on everyone is helpful unbelievable thanks again fellas.
I follow you now....

Cannot say the best setting. I like my FT on the ground to me, this platform is a ground basher and does it well with the wide stance that I made wider.

My settings are:
Stock fluids...just found no reason to change it based on how I run it and what it is designed for. Excellent. I get no crazy ballooning on stock tires.
Droops are set, so lower arms are not fully extended downward and takes the pressure off the shock ends
The motor is stock 2050kv

ESC is an HW Max6. I was going to go Firma 160A anything over 150A ESC.
Punch is 4. Max6 default is 3 with 5 as max
If had put in the Firma 160A then 4 is the default I would do 6 or 7 with max of 9
I would not do max punch but enough to give her a snap off the startline but stays down is where I want it

12T Tekno pinion
Max6 cannot set the motor timing but if it were the Firma 160A like all my Firma rigs 15deg is a good spot to start or reside.

For coolness, a 40mm fan on the ESC and a tall 40mm fan on the motor. The motor fan is this one... very powerful than the norm no lipo battery is needed but it runs harder than the standard ESC-power. Good fans and good electronics help those temps

I forgot to say that my Kraton 6s with MMX 8s is running an 18T pinion with 15 degree timing, and the 1717 1650kv motor temp stays below 120 without a fan. I could easily run a 20T pinion without any problems: I had even bought a 20T to install, but I found out the Kraton is fast enough for me on the 18T. The 20T wound up replacing a 23T pinion on my Maxx V1 so I could run larger tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back