Senton ESC upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim1990

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
I’m looking to upgrade my ESC, after the troubles I’ve had and others have had with them. I was looking at the HW Max10SCT but have seen a few problems with them lately as well. I’ve had no problems with my stock motor, so I’m looking to keep that stock for now, unless it’s be better to do both at the same time. I also just purchased a Futaba 3pv and see Castle Link will connect to Futaba’s telemetry, which would be cool. Are they worth the extra money and if so which one? I only run 2s right now as I haven’t purchased a 3s Lipo yet, but plan to soon. And I use it mostly at a local public use track in a county park and in the street out front of the house.

Are you having issues with your BLX100? If not, I'd just keep that. I bought a Max10 SCT to run a larger pinion but I had cogging issues. It runs fine on the stock gear but so did the origin ESC. I run a Castle Mamba X in my Senton and it's a great ESC, but it's like $150. I got it before the 3s BLX trucks were released.

My advise is to run the stock system until it has a problem. It may never have one.

Are you having issues with your BLX100? If not, I'd just keep that. I bought a Max10 SCT to run a larger pinion but I had cogging issues. It runs fine on the stock gear but so did the origin ESC. I run a Castle Mamba X in my Senton and it's a great ESC, but it's like $150. I got it before the 3s BLX trucks were released.

My advise is to run the stock system until it has a problem. It may never have one.
Yeah I’m waiting on my replacement from a Arrma, the fan quit. I sent it in and the tech notes stated it was damaged internally. I should have my replacement on Tuesday. I see what you mean though, crap happens with electronics occasionally. Just sucks that I work night shift and only have Mondays to run it and the damn thing has been down for two weeks hahaha

Yeah I’m waiting on my replacement from a Arrma, the fan quit. I sent it in and the tech notes stated it was damaged internally. I should have my replacement on Tuesday. I see what you mean though, crap happens with electronics occasionally. Just sucks that I work night shift and only have Mondays to run it and the damn thing has been down for two weeks hahaha

Did you check the fan wires before you sent it in? I went though 2 fans on the BLX185 and HH just sent me new fans. Takes 5 minutes to replace.

Did you check the fan wires before you sent it in? I went though 2 fans on the BLX185 and HH just sent me new fans. Takes 5 minutes to replace.
I pulled the fan off and found a hole in the goop on the esc where the wires come into it near the fan plug as well and wasn’t sure if that was going to be a problem. I was going to just order a new fan, but once I found that I sent it in.
F27704D3-A43F-4A89-B171-5B1AFC6D7792.jpeg

If you’re buying a castle esc stay away from the smaller sidewinders. I don’t like them, they’re just not that good. The Sidewinder 8th is badass but that’s a bit overkill for your application. The max10sct is really perfect but I can see you don’t want it. I recommend the mamba max pro or the mamba x (don't confuse with mamba monster x)

Edit: hah look at me, I need to get with the times. The mamba max pro isn’t even made anymore lol.

If you’re buying a castle esc stay away from the smaller sidewinders. I don’t like them, they’re just not that good. The Sidewinder 8th is badass but that’s a bit overkill for your application. The max10sct is really perfect but I can see you don’t want it. I recommend the mamba max pro or the mamba x (don't confuse with mamba monster x)

Edit: hah look at me, I need to get with the times. The mamba max pro isn’t even made anymore lol.
I'm not against Hobbywing by any means. I'm new to this and learning from all the forum posts. Recently I've seen a couple posts here and on Facebook (yes I know most of the people there are asshats haha) about cogging issues with the Max10 SCT.

I just put a Max 6 on my Typhon. Haven't run on the street yet, but leaves tire marks on my kitchen floor! They are a bit expensive, and a tad heavy, but appear to be very well made, and have more programming modes than the stock Arrma ESC's

I'm not against Hobbywing by any means. I'm new to this and learning from all the forum posts. Recently I've seen a couple posts here and on Facebook (yes I know most of the people there are asshats haha) about cogging issues with the Max10 SCT.
This is why people on Facebook groups suck.

Cogging... issues?? It’s a sensorless brushless system. It cogs. It doesn’t bother anyone because you’re never going slow enough for it to happen. I hate people.

Like I said above... Max10 SCT is really perfect.

The cogging issue I had with the 18t pinion hindered the way I like to run my truck. I was having issues trying to accelerate up a dirt ramp from a slow start. I was unable to generate any sort of torque and the truck was just dying. It also got stuck a few times trying to climb up a slope that any of my other trucks could traverse. So it's not like I was trying to slow speed rock crawl with it, lol. This is all from my actual experience with an Arrma 1/10 scale truck and the Max10 SCT. This isn't conjecture. I went back to the 15t pinion and it runs much better. If I do decide I want to run with taller gearing, I will look to put in the Hobbystar motor that Rich Duperbash runs in his senton. It's a 3670 and I believe the Kv is 3050.

The cogging issue I had with the 18t pinion hindered the way I like to run my truck. I was having issues trying to accelerate up a dirt ramp from a slow start. I was unable to generate any sort of torque and the truck was just dying. It also got stuck a few times trying to climb up a slope that any of my other trucks could traverse. So it's not like I was trying to slow speed rock crawl with it, lol. This is all from my actual experience with an Arrma 1/10 scale truck and the Max10 SCT. This isn't conjecture. I went back to the 15t pinion and it runs much better.
Was that with the HW 3660 3200kv motor as well?

So far, the max10 sct/3200kv in my stampede 4x4 is holding up. I think I have run 4 packs through it now, which equates to 2 hours of solid run time. I get just over 30 minutes of pretty constant running out of my 7200mah 3S packs. Would have ran more this weekend, but a concrete leg of a skate park ramp jumped out in front of me. I swear! IT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE!... no, I just suck at driving. lol!

Was that with the HW 3660 3200kv motor as well?

So far, the max10 sct/3200kv in my stampede 4x4 is holding up. I think I have run 4 packs through it now, which equates to 2 hours of solid run time. I get just over 30 minutes of pretty constant running out of my 7200mah 3S packs. Would have ran more this weekend, but a concrete leg of a skate park ramp jumped out in front of me. I swear! IT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE!... no, I just suck at driving. lol!

Yes. With the HW 3660 3200 Kv motor. It can't handle tall gearing. With the stock gearing this fine.

On the cogging issue, I have a cheap system, a GoolRC /Racerstar, 80a esc, 3800kv 3660, running the 15t. At launch, slow or hard, there is almost no cogging. But if the truck rolls backward even a little (while in forward mode), the esc won't do anything but brake. Sucks at a skate park.

Yes. With the HW 3660 3200 Kv motor. It can't handle tall gearing. With the stock gearing this fine.
I'll have to see how mine reacts once it warms up. So far, it seems to be working well with the gearing I use, but I wouldn't mind 1 more tooth on the pinion... isn't that always the case?!?! Here I drove the thing for over a year on 2S with top speed at a crawl compared to what I have now, but run 3S for a month and all the sudden, it's not enough! lol!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back