ESC wizards please help me choose.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walküre

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I’m looking to get a new ESC for my 6s Typhon. It’s heavier than stock. M2c chassis, aluminum upgrades and I run 16-20 tooth pinion on a factory motor. I pretty much only run 6s and wot as often as possible. Yes I’m looking at fans for the summer...

What do you suggest for an ESC that can deliver more power for future motor selections but still run the factory motor only better without damaging it? I would like the option of a sensored motor someday.

I’ve read so many threads on the subject only to be more confused.

What

Are all of these suggestions compatible with the stock Arrma motor?

The Castle ESC uses 6.5mm bullets, but the Arrma stuff comes with 4mm.
You would need to either purchase or build some adapters, which would be very easy and cheap to do.

-Liberty

Are the Arrma BLX200 and 185 a rebrand Hobbywing? I have had no reliability issues with the BLX185 setup, I’m looking fore smoother throttle delivery. The 185 is a bit choppy. When holding it off the ground and slowly giving it trigger input the system doesn’t deliver power in a linear way. There are steps. I would like a smother throttle response. This is one of my reasons for looking at options. The other is to get one that will stay cooler when the summer comes with the larger gears.

The Castle ESC uses 6.5mm bullets, but the Arrma stuff comes with 4mm.
You would need to either purchase or build some adapters, which would be very easy and cheap to do.

-Liberty
Cheap and easy are relative. $12 worth of connectors, $5 worth of wire, heat shrink, 60W+ iron if you don't have one...

Not a big deal, but adds to the cost of using an ESC that isn't a direct fit.

I just got finished making a splitter so I could run two chargers in my car. The new charger uses xt60 for input and output. I didn't have any wire or connectors. Had the iron though. So, my $60 charger actually cost me $75.

Cheap and easy are relative. $12 worth of connectors, $5 worth of wire, heat shrink, 60W+ iron if you don't have one...

Not a big deal, but adds to the cost of using an ESC that isn't a direct fit.

I just got finished making a splitter so I could run two chargers in my car. The new charger uses xt60 for input and output. I didn't have any wire or connectors. Had the iron though. So, my $60 charger actually cost me $75.

I guess it is one of those things from being in the hobby for a long time and always doing lots of modifications... I have a drawer full of castle creations wire and bullet connectors. I firmly believe anyone can learn anything with some practice and plenty of how-to videos online. If you got to the point of buying a hobby grade RC at these price points, it is worth the time to learn how to solder. (general statement not you specifically)

Are the Arrma BLX200 and 185 a rebrand Hobbywing? I have had no reliability issues with the BLX185 setup, I’m looking fore smoother throttle delivery. The 185 is a bit choppy. When holding it off the ground and slowly giving it trigger input the system doesn’t deliver power in a linear way. There are steps. I would like a smother throttle response. This is one of my reasons for looking at options. The other is to get one that will stay cooler when the summer comes with the larger gears.
Speaking to the heat issues, I don't know that the Castle 1/8 systems will run much cooler. The MMX and MM2's that I have had all get hot, but the XL-X does run significantly cooler. Larger or better quality fans often are the best medicine for this issue. I recently purchased a Wild Turbo Fan that I plan on using.

I have experienced this stepped/choppy throttle on cheaper ESCs, which moving to Castle resolved the issue. I will be able to speak more to this specific application after my Kraton V4 comes in Tuesday 04/09. In some cases it can be the radio system. My plan is to swap in my Futaba radio, but I'll try the original radio first to see if I experience the same "feel" that you described.

-Liberty

Last edited:
Kraton came in early and ran it today (hate when that happens)
It didn't have choppy throttle but felt like they tuned the throttle curve quite a bit. I suspect it's tuned in the ESC. I'll try it again in a day or two with the other radio and report back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back