Every Diff ever...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatDrewGuy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Voltage
So this is what every diff I have ever opened right out of the box. This is why we go through our “RTR” vehicles.

Attachments

• 6206DB04-C00D-46EE-B02F-050613EE3438.jpeg
    6206DB04-C00D-46EE-B02F-050613EE3438.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 132
Just got a kraton, drove a few packs through it, I've been putting it off cause I was using 4s. I guess I'll get in there, thanks for the reminder.

An Arrma kit. Still costs $500. No electronics. But a detailed assembly book, aluminum chassis braces/servo mount, necessary diff shims and a clear body to paint yourself. *wakes up to alarm* ahhh damn it was a dream.

A bit off topic. I somehow managed to chew up my out put shaft that the dog bone goes into. So my question is do I have to buy a complete diff set in order to get just the out put shaft? I’m not sure if it’s even called an out put shaft lol

A bit off topic. I somehow managed to chew up my out put shaft that the dog bone goes into. So my question is do I have to buy a complete diff set in order to get just the out put shaft? I’m not sure if it’s even called an out put shaft lol

All the diff outputs are (AR 310439). Outcast, Kraton, Talion, Typhon. I'd probably replace the pins (AR 310440) and O rings (AR 716011) while you're there. And shim it if it's never been done.

All the diff outputs are (AR 310439). Outcast, Kraton, Talion, Typhon. I'd probably replace the pins (AR 310440) and O rings (AR 716011) while you're there. And shim it if it's never been done.
Thank you. That’s all been done less than a month ago

$600 for a kit that needs all the important stuff.... I love Arrma:mooning:

Actually, that one looks OK. The fluid is covering the cross pins, which is correct. You don't want it full to the top.

But yeah, RTR = Run at your own Risk. Ready to Rebuild. Rebuild before Running. But at least Arrma uses threadlocker... LOL
Why do you not want to fill the diff all the way up? And if I’ve done so already should I immediately drain them a bit or will it be ok till my next diff mantanance? Thanks

Why do you not want to fill the diff all the way up? And if I’ve done so already should I immediately drain them a bit or will it be ok till my next diff mantanance? Thanks
When you put the top gear on, it will push out the oil that doesn't fit. I usually fill to the top of the cross bars, level with them. @ThatDrewGuy 's looks like it's to the bottom of the cross bar.

Well, it has a 5 in the price at least. :)
Item(s)
Tower Hobbies Super Savers Club discount ftw.
$ 599.99
Shipping (Standard Shipping)
Waived
Savings Applied
Coupon Codes
-$ 84.00
Total
$ 515.99

I would not tear it down just to remove a bit of fluid, personally.

As for why not to fill them all the way up, across many forums, I see arguments for and against leaving some air in the diffs. I have no clue what side of that argument is correct, so I defer to every mfrg build instruction that I have seen - they all say to fill above the cross pins, but leave an air gap. Some show a smaller gap than others, but it is there in every build instruction I have seen. For the diff in the OP, maybe it could use another mm or 2 of oil, but most of my RTR's that I have opened barely have enough to coat the gears... So for a RTR, that OP diff is pretty good. :)

Edit - the Arrma version - filled above the crosspins, but not fully covering the gears. This is from the BLX6s V2 manual -
snap0342.jpg

Last edited:

As for why not to fill them all the way up, across many forums, I see arguments for and against leaving some air in the diffs. I have no clue what side of that argument is correct, so I defer to every mfrg build instruction that I have seen - they all say to fill above the cross pins, but leave an air gap. Some show a smaller gap than others, but it is there in every build instruction I have seen. For the diff in the OP, maybe it could use another mm or 2 of oil, but most of my RTR's that I have opened barely have enough to coat the gears... So for a RTR, that OP diff is pretty good. :)
snap0342.jpg

Edit - the Arrma version - filled above the crosspins, but not fully covering the gears. This is from the BLX6s V2 manual -
View attachment 20321

By the time the other sun gear is in there, I would call that full.

View attachment 20321
Thanks for the info! Well, mine are shimmed and filled to the brim. Gunna have the first big bash tomorrow on 6s. I’ll keep the forum informed if the diffs experience any negative side effects from being topped off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back