Kraton Everyone new to this hobby should read this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
While programming my max6, I proceeded to rip the skin off my arm when my kraton 6/8s slipped of its stand. I did finally get everything working though. ? for anyone new here, these rc's can be extremely dangerous in many different ways. Always do things the correct way, especially when dealing with lipos. Like in my situation, I should have taken the tires off the truck before programmingthe esc. If you don't know the correct way to do something, ask questions in this forum. Never assume anything ?I got lazy and got bit. Taking the easy way out in this hobby NEVER ends well. Also, if you find yourself loosing patients with something, stop, take a break and start back up again when you have calmed down. If you continue to try and get somthing to work when your loosing patients, that's when $hit gets broken. We all do this hobby to relax and enjoy are selves. If you find that you are not enjoying your self, stop and collect yourself. I failed to do that and ripped my arm up pretty good as well as put myself in a really $hitty mood.
20200601_195052.jpg

Ouch! A good lesson learned in a painfully unfortunate way.

Complacency (and frustration;)) is something that will hurt you more than anything else and is really hard to avoid.

I am sh$t scared of my table saw but I recognise that helps keep me safe and I use it knowing the risks while taking the appropriate precautions.

Spinny things and cutty things and heating things can do serious damage to yourself and others so its so important to always think "What is the worst that could happen here" and see what you can do to reduce the risk.

Glad your (mostly) ok and as someone looking at fitting a Max-6 myself very soon I thank you for making the mistake that I probably would have stupidly made myself.

Ouch! A good lesson learned in a painfully unfortunate way.

Complacency (and frustration;)) is something that will hurt you more than anything else and is really hard to avoid.

I am sh$t scared of my table saw but I recognise that helps keep me safe and I use it knowing the risks while taking the appropriate precautions.

Spinny things and cutty things and heating things can do serious damage to yourself and others so its so important to always think "What is the worst that could happen here" and see what you can do to reduce the risk.

Glad your (mostly) ok and as someone looking at fitting a Max-6 myself very soon I thank you for making the mistake that I probably would have stupidly made myself.

I do a lot of wood work and I still can't use a table saw. Scares the poop out of me.

I do a lot of wood work and I still can't use a table saw. Scares the poop out of me.

Yeah its a necessary evil... I wish I had the $$$ for a sawstop but its just way out of my DIY\hobby range. Unfortunately the healthcare in Australia is so good that I can't use medical costs as a justification for not lopping off a finger....

I probably should rephrase that I am appropriately scared of my table saw.

Same with RCs... A 1/6 scale RC going at 80kph has enough energy to break limbs and needs to be respected.

Come over to the drone side. Too many newbs are told "take off the props" and "don't bench test with your hands". Then they cut themselves up and blame the equipment/software rather than themsleves. "It shouldn't have armed...I had it in my hands". Always follow safety pre-cautions...even with lipos. @suchtragedy is a fellow drone guy. I'm sure he has heard/seen the same.
Yeah its a necessary evil... I wish I had the $$$ for a sawstop but its just way out of my DIY\hobby range. Unfortunately the healthcare in Australia is so good that I can't use medical costs as a justification for not lopping off a finger....

I probably should rephrase that I am appropriately scared of my table saw.

Same with RCs... A 1/6 scale RC going at 80kph has enough energy to break limbs and needs to be respected.

My table saw is the second scariest tool I have. The first is my angle grinder. I will only use those tools as a last resort.

I second the part about drones. I've built quite a few over the past three years (about 15 or so), and to this day I am still extra careful and making sure I take the props off. Same with my surface vehicles and the tires. Sometimes I get last and think I can bench test one with the wheels on, but I still end up taking them off out of fear something will glitch and send it flying across the workshop.

Although tools like angle grinders are like my third arm after using them daily throughout my working life they still bite and bite bad this happened last year in a split second.

Attachments

• 20180124_142536.jpg
    20180124_142536.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20180124_152601.jpg
    20180124_152601.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 46
Although tools like angle grinders are like my third arm after using them daily throughout my working life they still bite and bite bad this happened last year in a split second.
Those are some serious cuts. Luckily you didn't get high enough to get your eye.

@Woodentop it's the bite that's scary. Glad you are ok but I have had close calls with my angle grinder even when paying attention. I have a track I use to rip 4x8 sheets of plywood and another attachment to do 45s with my circular saw. My table saw used to be my 45 cutter...that kickback is always a deterrent.

Since this happened my place of work have moved to the 3m welding gear with integrated grinding screen which offers full face protection, I 100% agree about the kickback I still now see guys on sites using 1mm cutting discs with no handle on the grinder to hold the kick.

@suchtragedy is a fellow drone guy. I'm sure he has heard/seen the same.
I second the part about drones. I've built quite a few over the past three years (about 15 or so), and to this day I am still extra careful and making sure I take the props off.
4 sharp flying murder blades flying through the air already scares me as it is but I am overly careful now after an accident I had. One time was test flying a Mobula 7 with goggles indoors (my first time flying a tiny whoop) and my dog came out of nowhere and tried to bite it out of the air. I saw nothing in the goggles except a violent shake and dog fur accompanied by a loud yelp. Ran over and found the drone tangled in it's fur really bad and had to cut it out. Anyways ever since then I am 150% props off and don't fly indoors anymore just because I'm afraid of something bad like that happening again to me or them. I even go as far to label my motor directions too because I have mix of props in/props out and can't keep track of them and almost had one jump at me when I put some on backwards.

Attachments

• 20200601_224554.jpg
    20200601_224554.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 37
@Woodentop Geez! On the face too... Hope the scar isn't too bad there... You're both unlucky it got you there and so lucky that it missed your eye at the same time... Scars will heal but I would hate to loose an eye or digit... I was already weary of angle grinders and now I am more so...

I've only had one bad experience with a small heli that will always stick with me. Flying indoors with my father on the couch when I lost control and ditched it into his leg. Nothing major but I still couldn't believe that a plastic prop could actually draw blood. Young and dumb is my only excuse. Ever since then I've have much respect for spinny cutty things no matter what the material.

I had my 2wd Slash take off into a brick wall once. Freshly installed a new radio and brushless system, didn't set it up. Not sure how, but the car just decided to take off at warp speed and fly into that brick wall.

I've had so many scary and bad mishaps with tools it isn't funny.
I blame it partly on my bad luck and partly because I have terrible attention span.
Off the top of my head.
A metal tapping screw I was trying to screw into a piece of aluminum without predrilling. I ended up putting the tapping screw in through the bone of my index finger. Taped it up after pouring some whiskey on it and went to the hospital a few hours later when I was done doing what I was doing.
I had a hammer kick back after ricocheting off a piece of lumber and the claw hit me right between the eyes. I mean literally between the eyes up high where your forehead meets your nose. Big gash and I still have a small scar.
Lot's of bad glass cuts fro working at the family hardware store when I was fixing windows. Sheared a couple knuckles off, stabbed many times with glass, once in the inside of the wrist and there was blood spewing everywhere. LOL That was great.
Shot a 12 gauge 1" U staple into my forearm learning how sensitive the trigger was on the air powered stapler.
etc. etc. etc.
The scariest was the first time I used a router it was a brand new Skil and the collett broke off when it got to speed and the bit flew by my face at 20k rpm. I still remember the sound.

But to this day I have always been close but never bought a table saw. I think it's a tool not meant for me and I would definitely end up maimed/decapitated.

My first machine shop we had a nasty Delta table saw, we would rip 1" thick 4x8 foot sheets of aluminum. One lesson I learned is NEVER EVER use the fence when your cutting something smaller than the diameter of the blade. ( like cutting a 8" long part and you have a 12" diameter blade). The blade will catch it, and since its against the fence it has nowhere to go and it's now a projectile coming at you doing mach 1. When your not afraid of the equipment, that's when bad things happen.

I've had so many scary and bad mishaps with tools it isn't funny.
I blame it partly on my bad luck and partly because I have terrible attention span.
Off the top of my head.
A metal tapping screw I was trying to screw into a piece of aluminum without predrilling. I ended up putting the tapping screw in through the bone of my index finger. Taped it up after pouring some whiskey on it and went to the hospital a few hours later when I was done doing what I was doing.
I had a hammer kick back after ricocheting off a piece of lumber and the claw hit me right between the eyes. I mean literally between the eyes up high where your forehead meets your nose. Big gash and I still have a small scar.
Lot's of bad glass cuts fro working at the family hardware store when I was fixing windows. Sheared a couple knuckles off, stabbed many times with glass, once in the inside of the wrist and there was blood spewing everywhere. LOL That was great.
Shot a 12 gauge 1" U staple into my forearm learning how sensitive the trigger was on the air powered stapler.
etc. etc. etc.
The scariest was the first time I used a router it was a brand new Skil and the collett broke off when it got to speed and the bit flew by my face at 20k rpm. I still remember the sound.

But to this day I have always been close but never bought a table saw. I think it's a tool not meant for me and I would definitely end up maimed/decapitated.

Geez!!!!

I can't even be trusted with a stupid cordless drill... lol!
2012-0114-CutFinger.jpg

In my defence, it was 2am and I had been building an HPI baja SS for 6 hours straight. I was getting a bit punchy by that point and holding a block of wood in my hand with a 3/4" drill bit to quickly drill a hole so I could use the wood as a ball end holder seemed like a good idea. Was the first time I used a 12V lithium drill that one of my employee's gave me as a Christmas present. IT SPIN FAST!!!!

Shaved the bone as well... stupid thing still aches when it gets cold.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back