EXB Kraton or 8s Outcast or 8s Kraton or Xmaxx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSM801

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Hey Guys, I got the green light for a new truck. :)
Ive been reading tons and watching many videos, but I still cant decide.
So I would like to pick the collective brain and get opinions to help me decide.
I only have a 3s Granite, and 4s Kraton. But I would like something bigger.
I have space to run them. Mostly large grassy fields with landscape jumps, no nothing big. Just stuff like the apex of a grass hill or ditch.
Some grassy hills, some dirt hills (some 60 degrees or more).
I might eventually make a small jump to jump and land on this massive grass downhill slope.
But for the most part, I wont really be hucking it much.
There are also some nice dirt lots I can go to, and I know a guy who is making a miniature motocross track on his property. Its really rough dirt they are using and a lot of rocks, so im not sure how it will play out. I hope when its done, they have it somewhat smoothed out. I would be able to go there every now and again when its not being used by their kids and grandkids, hah.
The way I drive my 3s and 4s is just ripping around the grassy fields and jumping the apes of the ridges there. Lots of fast runs through the grass. Some dirt driving.
Whatever I get I would like to start hitting the dirt spots more, its just the grass areas I go to are large and let me get them going nicely with lots of space. The dirt areas will be more punchy and stop and go not really full speed runs, not a ton of space.
If I do the EXB, I will throw in a 150a esc and 2000kv 4076 can motor and 25-30kd servo.

So there you have it. What are your thoughts on the vehicles I listed? What would you get and why?

Thanks Guys/Gals

If you are going to be running on dirt and jumping I’d go with an xmaxx because the plastic you’ll end up with a very flexible and durable truck after minimal upgrades.
An outcast is meant for skateparks and only jumping really
The Kraton is lower and will be less forgiving and not as bouncy

If you plan on running on a track I'd get anything but the Xmaxx. Not that it's a bad truck.....people swear by them and I believe them. But an Arrma will run circles around it.

Hey Guys, I got the green light for a new truck. :)
Ive been reading tons and watching many videos, but I still cant decide.
So I would like to pick the collective brain and get opinions to help me decide.
I only have a 3s Granite, and 4s Kraton. But I would like something bigger.
I have space to run them. Mostly large grassy fields with landscape jumps, no nothing big. Just stuff like the apex of a grass hill or ditch.
Some grassy hills, some dirt hills (some 60 degrees or more).
I might eventually make a small jump to jump and land on this massive grass downhill slope.
But for the most part, I wont really be hucking it much.
There are also some nice dirt lots I can go to, and I know a guy who is making a miniature motocross track on his property. Its really rough dirt they are using and a lot of rocks, so im not sure how it will play out. I hope when its done, they have it somewhat smoothed out. I would be able to go there every now and again when its not being used by their kids and grandkids, hah.
The way I drive my 3s and 4s is just ripping around the grassy fields and jumping the apes of the ridges there. Lots of fast runs through the grass. Some dirt driving.
Whatever I get I would like to start hitting the dirt spots more, its just the grass areas I go to are large and let me get them going nicely with lots of space. The dirt areas will be more punchy and stop and go not really full speed runs, not a ton of space.
If I do the EXB, I will throw in a 150a esc and 2000kv 4076 can motor and 25-30kd servo.

So there you have it. What are your thoughts on the vehicles I listed? What would you get and why?

Thanks Guys/Gals
I have xmaxx trucks and Outcast 8s. If you are going to go big block later on, I recommend the Outcast 8s. I'm running the XLX2 AND 1100KV motor on mine next to my big block xmaxx trucks and the Outcast has been breaking less. And it can handle the higher speeds and turns better. That's been my experience. The Xmaxx is more forgiving when jumping on concrete, but it gets outperformed by my Outcast. My Outcast 8s is surprisingly durable. Stock, the Outcast 8s has better tires, body and electronics than the Xmaxx no doubt.

If you are going to be running on dirt and jumping I’d go with an xmaxx because the plastic you’ll end up with a very flexible and durable truck after minimal upgrades.
An outcast is meant for skateparks and only jumping really
The Kraton is lower and will be less forgiving and not as bouncy
Skateparks and jumping only? Hehe. It does very well during high speed turns on grass and concrete, even with the big block engines (the O8S). The Xmaxx doesn't stand a chance once you put a big block on both. The Outcast is so much wider so I think that has something to do with it. Funny because I think that the Xmaxx is better for skateparks stock. But I don't have big skateparks in my area, so I need more speed and torque. That's the main reason I went with bigger motors. Now the Xmaxx is pretty hard to control with the extra power, but the Outcast is smooth with all that extra power. Hehe.
If you plan on running on a track I'd get anything but the Xmaxx. Not that it's a bad truck.....people swear by them and I believe them. But an Arrma will run circles around it.
And like a mentioned before, if you go to the 1/5 electronics, the Outcast would be a better choice. At least for me it has. Same thing with the K8S. I think that's why I kept breaking the K8S when I had it. It needed that extra power badly. The stock system is OK, but not good enough for control in the air. After installing the 1/5 electronics on my Outcast I landed pretty much perfectly all the time ?, meaning less breakages.

I have xmaxx trucks and Outcast 8s. If you are going to go big block later on, I recommend the Outcast 8s. I'm running the XLX2 AND 1100KV motor on mine next to my big block xmaxx trucks and the Outcast has been breaking less. And it can handle the higher speeds and turns better. That's been my experience. The Xmaxx is more forgiving when jumping on concrete, but it gets outperformed by my Outcast. My Outcast 8s is surprisingly durable. Stock, the Outcast 8s has better tires, body and electronics than the Xmaxx no doubt.

Good reply, and experience with both is good.
I doubt i would ever need more power than stock, hah, but you never know.
I also highly doubt there will be any concrete jumping either.
Mostly a lot of ripping ripping around fields really fast, and natural landscape jumps when i find them.
Definitely no skate parks.
Maybe some bmx track stuff every now and again, but never racing.

No one has mentioned the 6s exb, should i cross that off the list?

Mostly a lot of ripping ripping around fields really fast, and natural landscape jumps when i find them.

Ripping around fields and open areas is where the Outcast or Kraton 8s would shine over the Xmaxx. I don't know about those EXB diffs. What I know for sure is that the 8s Arrma diffs are solid out of the box.

From what you've said ,( I have the Xmaxx and a K8S ) and love the Xmaxx but I'd go with either the Outcast 8S or the Kraton 8S . The one thing that I want to mention IMO the Xmaxx will take crashes without breaking a lot more than the O8S / K8S . If you do not have successful clean landings ( especially in the cold ) you are probably gonna see broken arms / wings / wing mounts as these 2 rigs are HEAVY !!! And also ad that the Xmaxx will get the most run time off your batteries . If I didn't already have 4 big rigs , I'd be getting the Outcast 8S .

S

No you should not. For what you want to do it’s what I’d recommend. I had an XMaxx, definitely the one to get over the Arrma 8S trucks if you are sending it... but you are not. I had a K8S, much more stable ripping around than XMaxx, but like the O8S, it’s big, drives like it’s big, understeers like my Audi A8L did when pushed hard. I’m not on the list of fans of the Outcast, it’s just ugly to me. I now have a K EXB, have had more fun building that thing up than the others combined. Perfect size *IMO*, will be great if you want to jump it, awesome to rip around fields, and better on track than the bigger trucks. So that’s what I’d go with?‍♂️

From what you've said ,( I have the Xmaxx and a K8S ) and love the Xmaxx but I'd go with either the Outcast 8S or the Kraton 8S . The one thing that I want to mention IMO the Xmaxx will take crashes without breaking a lot more than the O8S / K8S . If you do not have successful clean landings ( especially in the cold ) you are probably gonna see broken arms / wings / wing mounts as these 2 rigs are HEAVY !!! And also ad that the Xmaxx will get the most run time off your batteries . If I didn't already have 4 big rigs , I'd be getting the Outcast 8S .
I'm going to say yes the Xmaxx will take crashes better stock or with a few upgrades. With that said, after upgrading both the Xmaxx and Outcast 8s to bigger systems, now the Xmaxx is breaking more since it's harder to control in the air and ground. I'm thinking it's the extra weight and the harder tires. So I'm going to try the Outcast 8s tires on the Xmaxx tomorrow. Those stock Outcast tires are simply amazing at taking abuse and how soft they are.

No, don't cross the EXB off just yet. But if money is no object, the 8s OC/K. A different league of its own.. Consider where you are coming from however. From 3s/4s rigs, skipping 6S, and going to 8s is a costly jump. Not the rig itself, albeit $900. ( still it's a great value) but all the parts and upgrade stuff are probably double on average. 1/5 wheels, tires, motors, ESCs, servos, chassis etc. Just playing Devils advocate here. Something to consider.
Perhaps compare the prices of parts for a 6S versus an 8S, parts that will be replaced from wear or breakage. I know 8S BB sets are costly. No getting around it. Just one example.

Last edited:
I have everything else just buy the new rc vehicle. I have all the other stuff.

I'm going to say yes the Xmaxx will take crashes better stock or with a few upgrades. With that said, after upgrading both the Xmaxx and Outcast 8s to bigger systems, now the Xmaxx is breaking more since it's harder to control in the air and ground. I'm thinking it's the extra weight and the harder tires. So I'm going to try the Outcast 8s tires on the Xmaxx tomorrow. Those stock Outcast tires are simply amazing at taking abuse and how soft they are.
Agree . Have to clarify that my Xmaxx is box stock 100 % . The truck to me is perfect like this but it seems the majority of people in the rc hobby just cannot leave a rc alone no matter how good it is out of the box . I mean take for example , my K8S , O.K , I thought was rather slow out of the box so I did the 23t pinion and gotta say WOW did it come alive !! Maybe next do the 20 mil center diff fluid , but as far as the electronics go , it's not a racer , meant for bashing so really how much better does someone have to have it to make them go out and drop even more $$$$ into it ? I'd rather go buy another rc with that $$$ and have some more variety in my collection to have diff vehicles to drive . Just sayin ' . It can get out of control real fast for what you / we are dumping into these rcs .

I love the K8s but pretty much need a second job to keep it going. Arms are very expensive and all 6 are different. Rpm now makes a complete set but I don’t like the looks of them, maybe they’re great... I made a different chassis and bracing pretty much day one (avatar...). Electrics need to be bigger. Throw away the servo and buy another plus the servo/receiver box. Then you need better batteries because you will ruin any battery that is not up to the task after one charge. Upgrade the cvds to the gpm because the stock ones bend constantly and there’s no other heavier ones I’m aware of. Once you do all of that you will have the most exciting electric rc car you ever owned.
Maybe the oc8s is eeasier on things. It’s the same weight as the k8s so the electrics all will need to go because before too long I would be bored of them. The arms are said to be better. Once I go thru my stock pile (which won’t take long) I will try them.
If you have a mortgage, young children, high maintenance wife or on a tight budget buy the xmaxx. It needs far less to make it fun and durable. If you’re retired, no kids, no wife, no mortgage buy them all...

Yep, I went to RC Planet and checked them out in person the other day to get a good idea of real size, you are right, they are large and in charge. hah. The Xmaxx was definitely lighter than the Arrmas too.

In addition to everything that was said... the Outcast 8S just looks the best. By a lot. It’s not even close IMO. That big red Outcast looks so good.
I would have to agree on that for sure, the Outcast has the best looks in my opinion.

S

No you should not. For what you want to do it’s what I’d recommend. I had an XMaxx, definitely the one to get over the Arrma 8S trucks if you are sending it... but you are not. I had a K8S, much more stable ripping around than XMaxx, but like the O8S, it’s big, drives like it’s big, understeers like my Audi A8L did when pushed hard. I’m not on the list of fans of the Outcast, it’s just ugly to me. I now have a K EXB, have had more fun building that thing up than the others combined. Perfect size *IMO*, will be great if you want to jump it, awesome to rip around fields, and better on track than the bigger trucks. So that’s what I’d go with?‍♂️

Its for these exact reasons you mentioned that the EXB is on the list, so thank you for mentioning it.

No, don't cross the EXB off just yet. But if money is no object, the 8s OC/K. A different league of its own.. Consider where you are coming from however. From 3s/4s rigs, skipping 6S, and going to 8s is a costly jump. Not the rig itself, albeit $900. ( still it's a great value) but all the parts and upgrade stuff are probably double on average. 1/5 wheels, tires, motors, ESCs, servos, chassis etc. Just playing Devils advocate here. Something to consider.
Perhaps compare the prices of parts for a 6S versus an 8S, parts that will be replaced from wear or breakage. I know 8S BB sets are costly. No getting around it. Just one example.

Thanks for mentioning this, it should be a big factor in the decision for sure I think. I was actually talking to werner sline about that same thing the other day, about how much tires must be. hah.
I might just have to get the EXB just for the next succession in the lineup anyway, and get used to driving a 6s vehicle for a while.

Agree . Have to clarify that my Xmaxx is box stock 100 % . The truck to me is perfect like this but it seems the majority of people in the rc hobby just cannot leave a rc alone no matter how good it is out of the box . I mean take for example , my K8S , O.K , I thought was rather slow out of the box so I did the 23t pinion and gotta say WOW did it come alive !! Maybe next do the 20 mil center diff fluid , but as far as the electronics go , it's not a racer , meant for bashing so really how much better does someone have to have it to make them go out and drop even more $$$$ into it ? I'd rather go buy another rc with that $$$ and have some more variety in my collection to have diff vehicles to drive . Just sayin ' . It can get out of control real fast for what you / we are dumping into these rcs .

Yep, folks can get over the top with upgrades real easy. Ive always raced tenth scale dirt, and most of those guys are the same. get a $500-$700 kit and then another $500 in upgrades. hahah. Crazy.
I wont be doing anything crazy to whatever I get, just replacing parts as they break. :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I have narrowed it down to EXB Kraton or 8s Outcast. lol.
Still more thinking, reading and research to do.

Yep, folks can get over the top with upgrades real easy. Ive always raced tenth scale dirt, and most of those guys are the same. get a $500-$700 kit and then another $500 in upgrades. hahah. Crazy.
I wont be doing anything crazy to whatever I get, just replacing parts as they break. :)
My daughter and I race tenth scale indoor carpet / turf , 2wd mod SC , by the time you buy the kit ( AE SC6.1 ) electronics / batteries / radio / body / tires etc it is a $1,200 truck !! Thats why when I got into bashing I wanted something that I can run out of the box with as minimal as possible must change to run , and only drop $$$ into them when they break . That said , I like to jump with my bashers , but I'm not trying to "send them " to the moon like a lot of people , bad landings = breaking !!!

Grass driving needs one heavy strong car.

Arrma Kraton 8s is the only one then.

X-maxx is to light weight and will roll over 2much.

Kraton 8s 1/5 is one grass pro.

When you feel grass is boring, you can go m2c upgrades and do it all.
X-Maxx is 2 light weight and no one can make better chassie either.

Go with Kraton 8s, you have alot more fun now at grass.
And also in future if you want start bash is real hard at gravel pits or something like that.
X-Maxx is old dead plastic car.
Kraton8s is future now, and next years also

My daughter and I race tenth scale indoor carpet / turf , 2wd mod SC , by the time you buy the kit ( AE SC6.1 ) electronics / batteries / radio / body / tires etc it is a $1,200 truck !! Thats why when I got into bashing I wanted something that I can run out of the box with as minimal as possible must change to run , and only drop $$$ into them when they break . That said , I like to jump with my bashers , but I'm not trying to "send them " to the moon like a lot of people , bad landings = breaking !!!

yep, exactly. 1200 at least, thats if you didnt upgrade the parts in the truck for ever so slightly better performance. lol.
I couldnt stand the prices AE and Losi and Tekin wanted for a tenth scale kit, so I searched high and low for a contender in a cheaper price tag. Tried out many duds, lol. But then I found the brand PR Racing. Saved me money right off the bat with cheaper kits and parts. Great online part support. Ive got a box full of parts and one of each class they make. No way I could have afforded that with the other race brands. lol

But with bashing, same with me. I like to just bash it as is and fix as they break. I don't want/need to toss another cost of a truck into it off the bat to go rip around the park. The biggest ill send whatever I get would probably be the equivalent to a triple on a tenth scale track. lol
I don't care too much to send a 30lb truck flying 30 feet up in the air and landing 60 feet away. I took physics in school for a while. lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back