Kraton EXB Pinon keeps "slipping" off at throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthChurchill

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Just got an EXB and putting it together using a Max6 w/ 8S. I finally got everything fit (The ESC was a pain in the bum btw), and wanted to test everything out, so I sat it down on the floor and slowly accelerated about 10 feet then punched it for another 10 feet. As soon as I punched it, the pinon slipped off and started to chew itself up. I tried it with several different pinons, orientated both ways (small part in and small part out) and it happens no matter what. I used locktite and wrenched that screw down so hard it broke the tip off one of my bits, and it still slid off. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Just got an EXB and putting it together using a Max6 w/ 8S. I finally got everything fit (The ESC was a pain in the bum btw), and wanted to test everything out, so I sat it down on the floor and slowly accelerated about 10 feet then punched it for another 10 feet. As soon as I punched it, the pinon slipped off and started to chew itself up. I tried it with several different pinons, orientated both ways (small part in and small part out) and it happens no matter what. I used locktite and wrenched that screw down so hard it broke the tip off one of my bits, and it still slid off. What the heck am I doing wrong?
Did you clean the grub screw and pinion with brake cleaner prior to assembly? Also you should let the thread lock fully cure for at least 24 hours before use.

I also will use red lock time on occasion. Just the littlest of drops. And if I need to ill use my little mini torch to hear it up to remove.

I had this issue and as the other guys are saying make sure you clean the grub screw and let the locktite cure for 24 hours, since i did that i haven't had any issues

Hey all! First off, thanks for the suggestions and sorry it's taken me so long to get back - was waiting for things to cure, etc.
Anyway, I used the above suggestions about a dab of Locktite Red, cleaning the pinon and grub screw with break cleaner, and letting everything set and settle for at least 24 hours. The good news is the pinon isn't slipping. The bad (very?) news is that instead of slipping, it's shredding pinons like it's the cool thing to do. Take a look at my pictures.

What the heck is happening and what the heck can I do?

1618240790501.png

1618240810235.png

1618240829674.png

This happened after one half-throttle on 6S. What am I doing wrong? The truck rolls buttery smooth without the motor, and with the motor it rolls like you'd expect it to, although slightly louder than expected. When mounting the motor I try to keep it where there's just the smallest hint of wiggle between the two yet not nearly enough for it to destroy a pinon.

These are the pinions I was working with - so far it's shredded the 20t, 19t, and 21t. The one in the image is the 19t and all I had left after the pinion kept slipping off (which is how the others got shredded, but not nearly to this extent).

Are these the cheapo pinions you can get in sets? If so, that's probably your problem since they are made from only the finest chinesium alloys.

Go get yourself an extra hardened Robinson Racing or Tekno pinion.

Also it's hard to tell in your pics, but are those Mod1 pinions? They sort of look like 32p/Mod.8 ones...

Last edited:
Are these the cheapo pinions you can get in sets? If so, that's probably your problem since they are made from only the finest chinesium alloys.

Go get yourself an extra hardened Robinson Racing or Tekno pinion.
Yep, what he said! I had a 4 pinion set i got from Amazon a year or so ago and not one of them lasted longer than 1 battery pack. When it comes to pinion gears, you want the hardest and beat quality metal you can get. Robinson Racing, Tekno both make very strong pinions.

Those cheap Chinese pinions are made from sintered poop. They aren't worth a damn.

Hey all! First off, thanks for the suggestions and sorry it's taken me so long to get back - was waiting for things to cure, etc.
Anyway, I used the above suggestions about a dab of Locktite Red, cleaning the pinon and grub screw with break cleaner, and letting everything set and settle for at least 24 hours. The good news is the pinon isn't slipping. The bad (very?) news is that instead of slipping, it's shredding pinons like it's the cool thing to do. Take a look at my pictures.

What the heck is happening and what the heck can I do?

View attachment 139188
View attachment 139189
View attachment 139190

This happened after one half-throttle on 6S. What am I doing wrong? The truck rolls buttery smooth without the motor, and with the motor it rolls like you'd expect it to, although slightly louder than expected. When mounting the motor I try to keep it where there's just the smallest hint of wiggle between the two yet not nearly enough for it to destroy a pinon.

These are the pinions I was working with - so far it's shredded the 20t, 19t, and 21t. The one in the image is the 19t and all I had left after the pinion kept slipping off (which is how the others got shredded, but not nearly to this extent).
Also, all it takes is 1 tooth on the pinion yo break for this to happen. These motors create a tremendous amount of torque, so I wouldn't worry too much on how the pinion looks compared to the others. Any 1/8th scale brushless application where a pinion tooth gets chipped would do this same thing to a pinion gear.

Also it's hard to tell in your pics, but are those Mod1 pinions? They sort of look like 32p/Mod.8 ones...
I have no idea what Mod1 Pinions are. I'm not new to RC's, but I have been "out of the scene" for a good decade or more.

You need mod 1 it's the pitch on teeth and my 6s t.p. motor just ate its first but I got like 6 packs out of it, just put arrma one on. I don't mind that it wears down , but that pic you posted is shredded lol. Definitely with that power set up after you get a strong pinion in there that power is going other places so be prepared for other breaks maybe? I don't know why everyone goes so big on the exb , the 6s t.p motor I have is insanely powerful and fast. 6 packs sailing threw the air and time for tune up , love this truck.
https://youtube.com/shorts/tTAFdUVOfvY?feature=share
I stand corrected bent a wing mount screw 🤪

Just wanted to drop an update - it took for-frickin'-ever for the pinion to come in but it's here. I installed it and immediately noticed a huge difference in pitch, so there's no doubt I had the wrong pinion the whole time. Thanks everyone for the help!

Haha yeah with. 8 and 32p ( which are same) mod1, safe d and lost goes on could be easy to confuse I am glade was easy fix I like those even if there silly I am ok with that better than a larger issue , have fun

Just wanted to drop an update - it took for-frickin'-ever for the pinion to come in but it's here. I installed it and immediately noticed a huge difference in pitch, so there's no doubt I had the wrong pinion the whole time. Thanks everyone for the help!
Glad to hear that you are going to be up and running soon, man. Send it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back