Kraton EXB rear diff Spool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaykimbull

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So after waiting forever for an EXB rear diff, "re designed" according to Horizon under warranty to come in. I found on EBay a company selling a Aluminum Spooler for the EXB rear! Wanted to share it with other EXB owner's. I only run mine in dirt and BASH it! Well that is the 3x I used before rear blew out ? so excited to see what the result is with the spoiled rear diff, at least hopefully I can Bash it before snow flys.

So after waiting forever for an EXB rear diff, "re designed" according to Horizon under warranty to come in. I found on EBay a company selling a Aluminum Spooler for the EXB rear! Wanted to share it with other EXB owner's. I only run mine in dirt and BASH it! Well that is the 3x I used before rear blew out ? so excited to see what the result is with the spoiled rear diff, at least hopefully I can Bash it before snow flys.
Hard pass on a locker. I want the opposite. I want an open diff. Either get a RTR V4 diff and pinion or rebuild an EXB diff with 12x18 shims.

Hard pass on a locker. I want the opposite. I want an open diff. Either get a RTR V4 diff and pinion or rebuild an EXB diff with 12x18 shims.
Tried that, shims out of stock along with EXB rebuild kits untill late November, also ran into issue with some V4 diff as then can't use the EXB ring gears and pinion and was told would also then have to change ratio up front to match the v4 in back? No? Yes? I know my local hobby shop ran into issue with the list of stuff req
Couldn't get ALL the V4 components ran into more back order issues till late November trying to go that route. EXB rebuild kit also unavailable! I have read everyone's posts about the shimming, and the whole reason for paying for the EXB roller was the gears! Otherwise I'd of bought a rtr Kraton BLX. So untill Horizon gets me these "re designed" diffs figured for what I do with it LOCK IT. Been months summers over falls about over and can't take watchn it sit and running my Granite 3s? Has anyone else heard of the EXB re worked replacement diffs there supposed to be coming out with?

Tried that, shims out of stock along with EXB rebuild kits untill late November, also ran into issue with some V4 diff as then can't use the EXB ring gears and pinion and was told would also then have to change ratio up front to match the v4 in back? No? Yes? I know my local hobby shop ran into issue with the list of stuff req

Couldn't get ALL the V4 components ran into more back order issues till late November trying to go that route. EXB rebuild kit also unavailable! I have read everyone's posts about the shimming, and the whole reason for paying for the EXB roller was the gears! Otherwise I'd of bought a rtr Kraton BLX. So untill Horizon gets me these "re designed" diffs figured for what I do with it LOCK IT. Been months summers over falls about over and can't take watchn it sit and running my Granite 3s? Has anyone else heard of the EXB re worked replacement diffs there supposed to be coming out with?
Shims you want to get from McMaster-Carr

Shims, 12.0 mm, Steel

https://www.mcmaster.com/Shims/ring-shims-7/id~12mm/material~steel/

So who is getting info on HH doing a redesign on the rear differential?
I spoke with them rwice and did not get that info. Also my local hobby shop just got in new exb rear diffs ARA311066 and they said the fix from HH is to use the CORRECT shims!

So who is getting info on HH doing a redesign on the rear differential?
I spoke with them rwice and did not get that info. Also my local hobby shop just got in new exb rear diffs ARA311066 and they said the fix from HH is to use the CORRECT shims!
The “correct” shims is the part in contention. I tried what Arrma calls the “correct” shims and it still stripped the cup side sun gear. Only thing that’s worked for me so far was adding LSD plates or 12x18 shims begins the sun gears. However, there are still others breaking the ribs off the back of the sun gears. The pins shear the ribs off instead of breaking the pins. This hasn’t happened to me yet, but I’m aware it might in the future.

Does anybody know if the above is true? I have a v4 diff waiting to be installed in the exb

Does anybody know if the above is true? I have a v4 diff waiting to be installed in the exb
I had a V4 in the back of mine and it held up for a few packs. But I ended up getting EXB parts in hand and went back to an open EXB diff since then. But I have all the faith that the V4 diff would be fined if shimmed properly.

It's not true at all and whoever is saying that doesn't know wtf they are talking about. Both trucks have a 10/43 pinion/ring gear ratio on their diffs. The difference is that they have different spiral cut between the two and thus are not interchangeable.

Oh yeah, I ordered a set of EXB diff gears from RC Planet today - their site showed them in stock, so I guess I'll have to see if they ship out tomorrow or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back