EXB Rear diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmintonrees

Reaction score
Hi, I have bought an arrma exb and have to say im really disappointed at how little im able to drive this thing. The rear drive is always breaking and after having the car for a month ive been able to drive it for about 5 mins

The read drive shaft sounds as though its slipping and the differentail is sounding terrible, WE have done no jumps at all

Reading all the threads about the differentials i think aarma have produced a very weak car and ought to be ashamed

I want to get it mended and get rid of it ,

Can anyone offer any advice as to what is wrong with the car please?

I would file a warranty claim with Horizon hobby. They will take care of any defects. They have done redesigns to the rear diff and has been holding up much better.

Hi, I have bought an arrma exb and have to say im really disappointed at how little im able to drive this thing. The rear drive is always breaking and after having the car for a month ive been able to drive it for about 5 mins

The read drive shaft sounds as though its slipping and the differentail is sounding terrible, WE have done no jumps at all

Reading all the threads about the differentials i think aarma have produced a very weak car and ought to be ashamed

I want to get it mended and get rid of it ,

Can anyone offer any advice as to what is wrong with the car please?
Get a new diff and these shims to replace the LSD plates.

EBE0BC41-3C37-4656-B0B5-C00302982F97.jpeg

i don't have lsd plates on the back diff? shoudl they be?
You must have gotten the early model(that has now been revised) the early ones did not have lsd plates OR shims (this was the problem). Now they are coming with limited engagement lsd plates in the rear. Ok now here’s where it gets confusing... if you buy a replacement rear diff (full diff) they will come installed with the spacer kit that @jondilly1974 posted above. Weird right?

long story short, get a new diff and make sure it has those spacer plates installed and you should be golden. 👍🏻

I would file a warranty claim with Horizon hobby. They will take care of any defects. They have done redesigns to the rear diff and has been holding up much better.
This 👆👆,
You must have gotten the early model(that has now been revised) the early ones did not have lsd plates OR shims (this was the problem). Now they are coming with limited engagement lsd plates in the rear. Ok now here’s where it gets confusing... if you buy a replacement rear diff (full diff) they will come installed with the spacer kit that @jondilly1974 posted above. Weird right?

long story short, get a new diff and make sure it has those spacer plates installed and you should be golden. 👍🏻
and this 👆👆. Most definitely got the first batch of EXBs. 0

Not only should you call horizon hobbies and warranty anything related to your kraton exb issues but just request in a polite not taking no for an answer complete open rear diff, which just so happens is still in stock listed as ARA311066. Save yourself the headaches and don't let them send you a lsd configured one. Funny that most including the HH customer service doesn't realize the opens are still in stock. AGAIN IT'S ARA311066 nothing else. They will give you the quick ok sir I'll send you a complete new diff to your door....it will be the lsd if you don't ask. Sorry for the rant but this is not my first time helping exb owners get warranty parts from HH.

If only I could find those parts in Europe, if possible not from UK...
Hi!
You can also get some thicker standard 12*18mm shims ( if I remember correctly - there are some threats about it) and shim it - works too for an open diff..

Hi, I have bought an arrma exb and have to say im really disappointed at how little im able to drive this thing.

Edited: Let my BLX experience get the "better" of me AGAIN. Arrma-induced psychosis I tell ya'. :LOL:

Fully agree that you should contact HH and if you're so disheartened by the product, and I wouldn't blame you personally, I'd demand a full refund. Otherwise they have been great with sending people full replacement diffs that are updated from what I gather.

Chin-up Sir, I've been a hobbyist for some time (aviation) and had no bloody idea what I was getting into buying BLX and EXB Mojaves.

It is a very cool hobby in itself and hopefully you'll work through the problems and go onto enjoy your truck but good luck whatever you decide.

ARA311094 is the pack of shims you want going forward to avoid using the LSD plates. You may want to look into the aluminum diff cases when they are available soon also if you stay interested.

Cheers

Last edited:
hi , i ordered a new diff 311066 as recommended and I have also 4 shims that were included in the pack

It says use if required once the gears are bedded in

Shoudl i install them now anyway and if so where do they go , the instructions arent very clear

20210128_104629.jpg

If only I could find those parts in Europe, if possible not from UK...
I found some in america that i bough for 11 pounds. Im not using them any more , quite happy to send them to you at the cost i paid for which was eleven pounds if you woudl like them

You have to check if the crow to pinion mesh is OK, no lateral or sideway play. After installing the diff in the housing, without the front half of the housing, you try to move the diff to the left and/or to the right. Pay close attention to the crown gear. If you see that the crown can move in the pinion direction, you should place one or two shims in the outside of the diff bearing behind the crown. The shims must be placed between the bearing and the housing. If you can't install the diff with both shims, or the diff is binding with the pinion (no movement or very tight), remove one of the shims to the other side diff cup. If you can only install one shim, because the bulkhead is tight, put on the crown side if possible.

You have to check if the crow to pinion mesh is OK, no lateral or sideway play. After installing the diff in the housing, without the front half of the housing, you try to move the diff to the left and/or to the right. Pay close attention to the crown gear. If you see that the crown can move in the pinion direction, you should place one or two shims in the outside of the diff bearing behind the crown. The shims must be placed between the bearing and the housing. If you can't install the diff with both shims, or the diff is binding with the pinion (no movement or very tight), remove one of the shims to the other side diff cup. If you can only install one shim, because the bulkhead is tight, put on the crown side if possible.
ok thank you very much , so they go on the drive cups on the outside of the bearings.

Woudl you like the LSD plates that i ordered?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back