Kraton EXB REAR DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEM!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, buying this (ARA106053) https://www.horizonhobby.de/en_DE/p...ller-speed-monster-truck-black/ARA106053.html
i don't have to open the diffs and install shims or anything else, except the LSD items in case i want limited slip from any of the diffs?

The Kraton EXB comes with the diff plates in all three differentials. The Front and Middle are set up in the x3 configuration (most limited slip) while the rear is set up in the x1 configuration (least limited slip). You can replace the plates with shims from the shim kit (ARA311094) to run any of the diffs in an open configuration.

That being said, you should always open up a new diff to check shimming and fluid levels.

Does anyone know if the new generation krayton 6s exb still has diff issues, just bought one and the store said that rear diff issue has been resolved.

Anyone advice plz should I still open them and check the shims?

Does anyone know if the new generation krayton 6s exb still has diff issues, just bought one and the store said that rear diff issue has been resolved.

The new version does not have problems with the diffs
That is true

You should still open them up to verify oil levels And shimming of the crown gear against the pinion.they should all have LSD. You can buy the open kit setup who are enough to make 3 Diffs go from LSD to open i think for 10$ or so. Its a good idea to put that on the rear. The LSD has 2 settings less restrictive setup and an agressive setup

I think I'll do that, also first few runs will keep it on 4s, don't want to mash it up already
Mine was a preorder without the LSD plates, I did check it had the correct number of shims prior to first run, some of the planetary gears inside the diff did strip on me after 5-6 6s runs (moderate bashing). So if u do the maintenance after 5 runs u should be good.

I service mine when i feel like to😆. Maybe every 20 packs or once every summer
They always hold up nicely gears look like brand new only the lsd get wear marks. But they should last a year or so. My one year old plates looked like the ones who has 10 packs🤔. Good idea to service new diff who has LSD for the initial break in of the parts

Also what oils you are running in ur diffs ..... youtube is making me crazy everyone saying something different I was thinking rear 20k, centre 200k, front 50k

Mine was a preorder without the LSD plates, I did check it had the correct number of shims prior to first run, some of the planetary gears inside the diff did strip on me after 5-6 6s runs (moderate bashing). So if u do the maintenance after 5 runs u should be good.
Just can't wait to get my hands on it now lol

Also what oils you are running in ur diffs ..... youtube is making me crazy everyone saying something different I was thinking rear 20k, centre 200k, front 50k
I run 12.500 in the rear open diff. Center stock 100k with most restrictive setup. Front at 20k less restrictive setup
Handles perfect i like the LSD it helps save ur tires from pizza cutting
Good idea to get m2c oudrives for the center and rear diff before u start but thats just me. Just telling you what u found after a year of running the truck. The m2c ones show to have almost no wear at all vs stock. And removing the tower to tower brace To prevent the chassi to get a negative bent+ adding longer bolts to the exb chassi braces. You might ask why well i asked myself why.

the bolt broke in a terrible crash but i had the bolT sticking out to the other side stuck it into a drill and i was able to take it out. you learn from other people mistakes by watching vides if i didnt do that well the chassi brace would have gone to the recycle bin. Just giving up a few tip and tricks because im i was the owner of 3 exb cars(mojave exb, kraton exb and notorious exbish) i have only two now got rid of the mojave
You may also ask why 12.5k oil in the rear? To put it simple at that time there was a shortage of diff oils and 10k was impossible to get

Last edited:
So I’m on my third or fourth pack and the rear differential is clicking.!! I thought these diffs were supposed to be better !! I’ve been babying this thing. There’s something wrong
Once before the same diff wouldn’t turn right with the truck off the ground. I took the diff out but couldn’t find any thing wrong. I put it back together and it acted fine until now
Has anyone else had similar problems?
The new version gearing is the main reason I got this truck. Arrma should fix this.! I really expected something good and got pounded for 500 bucks!! Have y’all had any problems???with the EXB???
Holy crap... my rear diff just totally locked up while running in a dirt road... maybe the 8th pack run... what is going on with this truck? I expected a little wrenching, but the first run I busted an A arm on a very mild slow 4 foot jump, so I replaced with rpg arms... that was disappointing already... now the rear wheels lock up like glue and I'm sporting fwd only on the gentlest run! I'm not skilled at taking apart differentials, which is exactly why I bought a tough truck and purposefully baby it... I never had a problem with my old arrma typhon... this is ridiculous... I'm no mechanic... all this truck has done is frustrate and emasculate me... sheesh

Holy crap... my rear diff just totally locked up while running in a dirt road... maybe the 8th pack run... what is going on with this truck? I expected a little wrenching, but the first run I busted an A arm on a very mild slow 4 foot jump, so I replaced with rpg arms... that was disappointing already... now the rear wheels lock up like glue and I'm sporting fwd only on the gentlest run! I'm not skilled at taking apart differentials, which is exactly why I bought a tough truck and purposefully baby it... I never had a problem with my old arrma typhon... this is ridiculous... I'm no mechanic... all this truck has done is frustrate and emasculate me... sheesh
Do you mean RPM A arms? That sux bro, sorry to hear you're having so much bad luck with your Kraton. Have you checked that the drive pins in your dogbones/driveshafts haven't work their way out like they did in mine and locked my rear end up too, worth a check.
If it's not the pins, then you may have to pull the diff down.

Unfortunately, there is no way around having to work on these trucks almost every bash or run because when you feel like pushing harder (to have more fun) things go wrong and out come the wrenches. lol

I have spent an absolute fortune on my Kraton and have upgraded EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING to M2C, RPM, Hot Racing, etc parts and I STILL break stuff. It comes with the hobby.

All I can suggest is glue yourself to YouTube channels that help you work on these trucks and learn as much as you can, after all, it's pulling it apart and rebuilding it (and learning your truck) that's all part of the fun.

I have a few instructional videos on my channel if you're looking to upgrade stuff if you want to check them out. Just search WestOz RC on YouTube.

All the best and good luck bro.

Is it the new latest version, great now I'm scared to run mine!! Just finished checking and installing everything, diffs on the new were shimmed but low on diff oil in all front , back and centre. Hope u find whats wrong with it and share how u fix it plz.

Do you mean RPM A arms? That sux bro, sorry to hear you're having so much bad luck with your Kraton. Have you checked that the drive pins in your dogbones/driveshafts haven't work their way out like they did in mine and locked my rear end up too, worth a check.
If it's not the pins, then you may have to pull the diff down.

Unfortunately, there is no way around having to work on these trucks almost every bash or run because when you feel like pushing harder (to have more fun) things go wrong and out come the wrenches. lol

I have spent an absolute fortune on my Kraton and have upgraded EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING to M2C, RPM, Hot Racing, etc parts and I STILL break stuff. It comes with the hobby.

All I can suggest is glue yourself to YouTube channels that help you work on these trucks and learn as much as you can, after all, it's pulling it apart and rebuilding it (and learning your truck) that's all part of the fun.

I have a few instructional videos on my channel if you're looking to upgrade stuff if you want to check them out. Just search WestOz RC on YouTube.

All the best and good luck bro.
Thank you, man... I may be in the wrong hobby lol... 🙃 Or I'm going to have to step up... I'll check out your channel... thanks again for the advice!

Where are you located? Maybe you live near one of us who has taken these diffs apart countless times and we can help.

Where are you located? Maybe you live near one of us who has taken these diffs apart countless times and we can help.
Wow, that would be cool to know someone around here! I just moved out here recently and I spend time in 2 places... Joshua Tree (near palm springs) and the other in Encinitas (north San Diego county)... we have some great land out in Joshua Tree, but the desert is a bit brutal on these 8th scales... big rocks, tough succulents, and poor traction dusty surfaces... Near the ocean, we have the beaches and some decent parks for a better 8th scale environment... There are 2 tracks I haven't checked out in Palm Desert, one indoor and one outdoor... I'd love to have someone to race with, as well!

Anyway, arrma/horizon was great as usual and is sending a new differential with the bearings and input gear... What ended up happening was the left rear diff bearing blew out and the steel(?) balls from the bearing fell into the differential housing (is that called the bulkhead?)... that's what caused the diff to lock up in a very strange way during a very gentle run... luckily I stopped right away and the diff appears undamaged, at least to me... but I have to disassemble the entire diff just to get the bearing off the outdrive cup! Lol... So, I'm definitely interested in getting in there anyway, because those bearings must be unsuited for the desert dust conditions is my guess... I ordered a whole set of rubber sealed bearings for both the Typhon and Kraton... sure would be cool to have someone to take on these kind of projects with... it's an awesome hobby and it looks like I'm sucked in (again)... I just bought some 5th scale rigs that will handle these desert terrains better and these are twice as intimidating being gas engines haha... I only had one gasser in the past and never got it running right (redcat pos Dunerunner)... so if there's someone who wants to do some wrenching/bashing together, that would be awesome!

Wow, that would be cool to know someone around here! I just moved out here recently and I spend time in 2 places... Joshua Tree (near palm springs) and the other in Encinitas (north San Diego county)... we have some great land out in Joshua Tree, but the desert is a bit brutal on these 8th scales... big rocks, tough succulents, and poor traction dusty surfaces... Near the ocean, we have the beaches and some decent parks for a better 8th scale environment... There are 2 tracks I haven't checked out in Palm Desert, one indoor and one outdoor... I'd love to have someone to race with, as well!

Anyway, arrma/horizon was great as usual and is sending a new differential with the bearings and input gear... What ended up happening was the left rear diff bearing blew out and the steel(?) balls from the bearing fell into the differential housing (is that called the bulkhead?)... that's what caused the diff to lock up in a very strange way during a very gentle run... luckily I stopped right away and the diff appears undamaged, at least to me... but I have to disassemble the entire diff just to get the bearing off the outdrive cup! Lol... So, I'm definitely interested in getting in there anyway, because those bearings must be unsuited for the desert dust conditions is my guess... I ordered a whole set of rubber sealed bearings for both the Typhon and Kraton... sure would be cool to have someone to take on these kind of projects with... it's an awesome hobby and it looks like I'm sucked in (again)... I just bought some 5th scale rigs that will handle these desert terrains better and these are twice as intimidating being gas engines haha... I only had one gasser in the past and never got it running right (redcat pos Dunerunner)... so if there's someone who wants to do some wrenching/bashing together, that would be awesome!
I’m on the other side of Mars in a small state called Connecticut but I’m sure there are others here that are in your planet.
Glad Arrma is doing right by you. I called them about my first EXB diff and they wanted proof of purchase but I threw my receipt out and my local hobby shop doesn’t keep records. I can get my debit card purchase history but it will just show a purchase. It won’t define that I bought my EXB.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back