Kraton EXB - recommend me some electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question, on my EXB I also have the Max6 combo 1650kv motor. I'm running backflip MTs tires (6s ones) I currently have a 17tooth Amazon pinion and just order a Tekno 20t pinion. Do you guys think 20t is too much for this setup and tires? I mainly bash but also like to do speed runs now and then to show off to buddies.

EDIT: 6s backflip MT not 8s, sorry for typo

Last edited:
Probably depends on where you live. I’m in SoCal and run the same HW setup as you and have been happy with a 18t Tekno pinion. It’s been warmer here in February, and no temp issues yet. Running stock Copperheads too. I did install a XMaxx esc fan on Max 6 and it really helps. Loud as hell but gets the job done. We’ll see how summer plays out.

I’ve read some EXBers in warmer climates are running Talion shoes to keep weight (and temps) in check...

20T would be a little much with the 8S tires but truly depends on the surface and ambient. Your Max 6 will go in thermal shutdown as well. Fan upgrade needed.
I rin the 6S backflips on 18T and that is as high as I can go on grass with better fan. Check your temps and take it from there.

Quick question, on my EXB I also have the Max6 combo 1650kv motor. I'm running backflip MTs tires (8s ones) I currently have a 17tooth Amazon pinion and just order a Tekno 20t pinion. Do you guys think 20t is too much for this setup and tires? I mainly bash but also like to do speed runs now and then to show off to buddies.
How did you mount the OC8S wheels on the EXB? 24mm hex vs 17mm hex?

How did you mount the OC8S wheels on the EXB? 24mm hex vs 17mm hex?
They are 17mm hex Backflip MTs. They come on 6s outcast and notorious, my mistake for saying 8s
20T would be a little much with the 8S tires but truly depends on the surface and ambient. Your Max 6 will go in thermal shutdown as well. Fan upgrade needed.
I rin the 6S backflips on 18T and that is as high as I can go on grass with better fan. Check your temps and take it from there.
Sorry about mix up, I have the same BF 6s tires you do, I also have the powerhobby twin fans on motor, so the motor temp should be fine right? As for the ESC I can't make my mind up on what to do for fan upgrade. What do you recommend? I may just put an 18t on vs the 20t and call it a day lol

Probably depends on where you live. I’m in SoCal and run the same HW setup as you and have been happy with a 18t Tekno pinion. It’s been warmer here in February, and no temp issues yet. Running stock Copperheads too. I did install a XMaxx esc fan on Max 6 and it really helps. Loud as hell but gets the job done. We’ll see how summer plays out.

I’ve read some EXBers in warmer climates are running Talion shoes to keep weight (and temps) in check...
How did you fit the xmax fan on the Max6, do you need any other bits for fitting or any chance of posting pic
I’m running a 23t on my set up and Esc is getting hot

They are 17mm hex Backflip MTs. They come on 6s outcast and notorious, my mistake for saying 8s

Sorry about mix up, I have the same BF 6s tires you do, I also have the powerhobby twin fans on motor, so the motor temp should be fine right? As for the ESC I can't make my mind up on what to do for fan upgrade. What do you recommend? I may just put an 18t on vs the 20t and call it a day lol
Ah that makes more sense. Yeah I have both the OC6S and OC4S Backflips. Haven’t ran the 6S ones yet. Got them in vet the winter and can’t wait to run them.

How did you fit the xmax fan on the Max6, do you need any other bits for fitting or any chance of posting pic
I’m running a 23t on my set up and Esc is getting hot
@Soilhalo77 here’s the Traxxas part # and current price on AMZ. It’s a direct fit and plug is different than stock HW but +/- fit snug. No mod required. Massive CFM improvement.

8AB4221B-695B-4522-B4D1-9692591A51AF.png

B0A4D806-9DCD-4CBB-B1F9-19C8310E6400.jpeg

@Soilhalo77 here’s the Traxxas part # and current price on AMZ. It’s a direct fit and plug is different than stock HW but +/- fit snug. No mod required. Massive CFM improvement.

8AB4221B-695B-4522-B4D1-9692591A51AF.png

Will the 1717/mmx8s fit in the exb without modifications? I have that combo in my Limitless and it screams! But, don't want to cut the new exb up if I don't have too.

I would also recommend getting a Max6 Combo or the newly released Castle MMX8s with the 1717. You'll run into heat issues with that TP motor I think.
I testet out a Max6 with the HW 2200kv which is almost the same size and on a 15t it was overheating like crazy. Currently I'm testing the 1717 with the Max6 and a 20t and this setup runs a lot cooler. Keep in mind that the added weight on this new truck + the bigger diffs will heat up things more quickly :)
can i run the mamba monster x and the

1717-1260Kv motor on 6s with a 15t pinion (which pinion do u recommend for this) and have it go 60 mph? or should i go for lower capacity 8s LIPO's?​

can i run the mamba monster x and the

1717-1260Kv motor on 6s with a 15t pinion (which pinion do u recommend for this) and have it go 60 mph? or should i go for lower capacity 8s LIPO's?​

Yes you can run the Monster X with that motor, but I would recommend watching the temps closely. It's a great ESC IMO but it tends to run hot. A Max6 or a MMX8s would run cooler for sure.
I wouldn't recommend getting the 1260kv. With a 15t pinion on 6s you won't exceed 40mph. You have to gear up a lot (24t) to get to 60mph.
I have the 1650kv 1717 in mine and top speed is around 60mph with a 20t. I only run it on 6s because 8s batteries are too big for my liking.
Hope that was helpful :)

Yes you can run the Monster X with that motor, but I would recommend watching the temps closely. It's a great ESC IMO but it tends to run hot. A Max6 or a MMX8s would run cooler for sure.
I wouldn't recommend getting the 1260kv. With a 15t pinion on 6s you won't exceed 40mph. You have to gear up a lot (24t) to get to 60mph.
I have the 1650kv 1717 in mine and top speed is around 60mph with a 20t. I only run it on 6s because 8s batteries are too big for my liking.
Hope that was helpful :)
How do you work out the potential top speed if you run the 1650 with the 50 spur and 23 pinion
I’m also running CHNL 100 c constant with 200c bursts (they definitely have some kick!), first time I used the batteries I hit the throttle to its usual spot to pull away and it ended up on its roof, no #%$€!!!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back