Kraton EXB - recommend me some electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me personally, i don't have anything against the Max8.

I do think it's good to have some overhead though, therefore the Max6 for me. Didn't Duperbash run the Spektrum Firma out of the K8s?

Question is will the 1650kv HB 4985 motor fit ? on the Arrma site is states max motor size 43mm diameter, 140mm length

So the same for both then, roughly. Cheers.

Are there any recommended pinions, admittedly i've never even looked into aftermarket pinions before. As in, certain manufacturers?

Does the EXB not already come with a couple of pinions already? I thought I'd read they do. Can't find it now though typically!

@Rich Duperbash runs a Max8 with the Hobbystar 4092. Comments on it in one of his latest exb videos. Nice budget combo for sure.
That's what I ran in my Kraton for a while before upgrading to the Max6.
It worked really well, I only removed the Max8 as I wanted it for another car..???

For me personally, i don't have anything against the Max8.

I do think it's good to have some overhead though, therefore the Max6 for me. Didn't Duperbash run the Spektrum Firma out of the K8s?
The max6 gets plenty hot too. Yes Rich has the firma 160 in the exb. I’m old and make stuff up now and them, sorry... However, he does run the Max8 and 4092 in his other Kraton (heavier than the exb) in other videos. The Max8 might even do better with the higher kv motors than the max6, idk. Takes up less room and is heavier too. If you are running 6s and want to save a few bucks than Max8.

The max6 gets plenty hot too. Yes Rich has the firma 160 in the exb. I’m old and make stuff up now and them, sorry... However, he does run the Max8 and 4092 in his other Kraton (heavier than the exb) in other videos. The Max8 might even do better with the higher kv motors than the max6, idk. Takes up less room and is heavier too. If you are running 6s and want to save a few bucks than Max8.

Never said it doesn't get hot. ;)

But it does offer some overhead, if not much.

Never said it doesn't get hot. ;)

But it does offer some overhead, if not much.
Mine (max6) will go thermal protect before the 4985 gets too hot though. I always wondered about this combo as hw recommends below 1500kv 6s and 1200kv 8s yet the motor it comes with is 1650...it’s a nice setup for 240$. It’s what I have in the Kraton...

Mine (max6) will go thermal protect before the 4985 gets too hot though. I always wondered about this combo as hw recommends below 1500kv 6s and 1200kv 8s yet the motor it comes with is 1650...it’s a nice setup for 240$. It’s what I have in the Kraton...

To be fair though, that's due to the 4985. Imagine running that motor with a Max8.

I do really like the setup, but it's the temperature "problem" that keeps me from using it. I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on a cooling system.

I have thought that exact same thing about the Max6 combo..?
Works pretty darn good. I don’t need to go faster and with a 5000mah-6000mah 6s bats you are just fine. I think I have a 20 or 21t in there. On the dirt it is a beast.
The castle system looks pretty awesome but it should for the money. I would like the 2028 in my k8s and an exb with the 1717 both with the mmx8s or whatever it’s called. I would never get them past the wife. The hobbywing price tags stay just below the money alarms...maybe if I buy one component at a time over a few months....

Works pretty darn good. I don’t need to go faster and with a 5000mah-6000mah 6s bats you are just fine. I think I have a 20 or 21t in there. On the dirt it is a beast.
The castle system looks pretty awesome but it should for the money. I would like the 2028 in my k8s and an exb with the 1717 both with the mmx8s or whatever it’s called. I would never get them past the wife. The hobbywing price tags stay just below the money alarms...maybe if I buy one component at a time over a few months....

Shush!

"No darling, i don't know what he's talking about!"

edit: as a sidenote, i think that's my plan now too. I can't get over the fact that everyone is telling me that the MMX8s is running so much cooler - so the current idea is to run an MMX8s with a Rocket 4092 1650kv, until the waters calmed a little and i can get away with throwing more money at a 1717.

Shush!

"No darling, i don't know what he's talking about!"

edit: as a sidenote, i think that's my plan now too. I can't get over the fact that everyone is telling me that the MMX8s is running so much cooler - so the current idea is to run an MMX8s with a Rocket 4092 1650kv, until the waters calmed a little and i can get away with throwing more money at a 1717.
That’s a good plan. The 4092 are a lot of motor for not too much coin. The rocket 4585 1580kv rocket/surpass is no slouch either for 80$ (China) or so they go for.

I recently bought a Rocket 4585 1100kv for, well to be honest I'm not sure..???
Should be fun on 8s whatever I use it for...?

This is an awesome thread, basically a buyers guide to all high end motor/esc combos, I’m a far cry from buying any of this stuff yet but I sure did learn a lot. ?

I'm brand new to this hobby, but I'm thinking about getting the EXB. What battery should I go with if I went with the Castle 1717/ MMX8S combo?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back