Kraton EXB - recommend me some electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm brand new to this hobby, but I'm thinking about getting the EXB. What battery should I go with if I went with the Castle 1717/ MMX8S combo?
If you are just bashing, I like the HRB 4S 5000mah packs from Amazon. That is what I plan on using initially. I might end up buying some 4S 6000mah packs at some point depending on run time.

Ok and i have 6500mah is that to much??

the mah number will determine runtime. 6500 mah will have a longer runtime than 5000 mah

the "s" number is the number of cells in the pack, 4s = 4 cells, 6s = 6 cells. Take the number of cells and multiply by 4.2 to get the fully charged voltage of a pack. The total voltage determines the amount of power going through the motor, etc. More power = more RPMs = faster (and more heat, and more breakage ;) )

Ive run our Kraton at 3s and 6s. 3s its probably roughly equivalent to our old nitro Savage with a .28 engine. 6s its ridiculous fast. Would like to try on 4s because we are just bashers so Im not sure we need the all out power of 6s.

If you are just bashing, I like the HRB 4S 5000mah packs from Amazon. That is what I plan on using initially. I might end up buying some 4S 6000mah packs at some point depending on run time.
I will probably be picking these up, thanks!
What charger would you recommend?

I will probably be picking these up, thanks!
What charger would you recommend?
I don’t have enough experience with various models to give a recommendation here. I would check the electronics forum for the recommend a charger thread.

I’m going to do this same setup. Just curious, what steering servo are you planning to use?

I talked to Reef's (I'm a big fan and use their stuff a lot) and they recommended their new RAW500 so I went with that. Should be a great setup.

Would it be better to replace the ESC with MMX8s or motor with Castle 1717 in the Max6 1650kv combo for cooler running? don't think its in the budget to do the full MMX8s combo right now. Or is there another motor people can recommend that would run cooler on the Max6 ESC? Im not familiar with other good brands besides HW and Castle.

Or, would someone like to buy my unopened NIB Max6 1650kv combo for $240 plus shipping? Scheduled to be delivered to me on Monday.

Last edited:
I talked to Reef's (I'm a big fan and use their stuff a lot) and they recommended their new RAW500 so I went with that. Should be a great setup.
I just saw this post. I actually asked a question about Reefs servos a little bit ago. Thanks for the feedback.

I know you say 6s is fine, but what the future holds might be different. A small price upgrade with a Hobbywing Max 5 runs great on 8s, even better on 6s. No problem starting with a 6s setup with the HW 1650KV. Later on 8s the 1100KV is a monster. I know that is what I am doing now, and getting ready for future 8s.
How are your Temps running the Max5 with the 1650kz motor? Are you still seeing high Temps like the max 6 or has that resolved the issue?

How are your Temps running the Max5 with the 1650kz motor? Are you still seeing high Temps like the max 6 or has that resolved the issue?
I don't see much different motor temp between the MAX 5 and MAX 6 running the 1650 KV motor. On 6s power motor temps are usually 150-160. It spiked to 180 on a really hot day doing speed runs. The ESC temp is slightly lower on the MAX 5.

I have a Mamba Monster X and a Castle 1515 2200kv combo. Will that be too small for this platform? (Running 6s)

I don't see much different motor temp between the MAX 5 and MAX 6 running the 1650 KV motor. On 6s power motor temps are usually 150-160. It spiked to 180 on a really hot day doing speed runs. The ESC temp is slightly lower on the MAX 5.

Are these temps with or without a motor fan?

I have a Mamba Monster X and a Castle 1515 2200kv combo. Will that be too small for this platform? (Running 6s)
Might be OK on 6S but you won’t be able to gear up much. If you want a mild setup it would be fine I think.

I have the Castle sensored MMX 8S & 1717 1650kv combo I plan to put in mine. I will also be running the Proline Trencher MX38 belted heavies. Running twin 3S 7000mah packs.
Controlled with Futaba 4PM & R334SBS-E & telemetry.
This will be my starting point anyhow. End result rarely looks like the beginning...

This sub has been amazing to read and see everyone's perspective on what motor/esc combo we are all considering. Personally i am going with the mmx8s.
I have been looking at servos and wondering if more expensive HV servo is really worth it for a basher... especially one that will tend to be heavier taking more hits (if ran as attended). What servos have you thought about running, the typical Savox HV digital servos (either waterproof or not..) or maybe an ebay special?

I purchased the 35kg dsservo on eBay for $25, but hear you can get it even cheaper from the other Chinese sites. Haven’t run it yet, so still to be seen if it will handle this rig.

This sub has been amazing to read and see everyone's perspective on what motor/esc combo we are all considering. Personally i am going with the mmx8s.
I have been looking at servos and wondering if more expensive HV servo is really worth it for a basher... especially one that will tend to be heavier taking more hits (if ran as attended). What servos have you thought about running, the typical Savox HV digital servos (either waterproof or not..) or maybe an ebay special?

I will be buying a Power HD HV servo. I prefer HV because you can run everything at 7.4V if your receiver supports it, which means fans will spin faster and technically cool better. Currently running a PowerHD 20kg 6V servo without issue, but will upgrade to the 25kg or 30kg eventually.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back