Kraton EXB - recommend me some electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look on Amazon if you're low budget. They have all sorts from $40-$100+. ESC, servos, transmitter and receiver. They got aluminum upgrade parts, tires, and wheels. I'm building a custom rc air boat with stuff from Amazon.

So I thought I knew what I wanted... was thinking of going with the Max6 and the 1650kv motor combo. I want to run 6s and bash and jump.
Has anyone ran the Firma 150a brushless smart esc with the Firma 2050kv brushless set up?
or how the BLX185 6s ecs / BLX4074 4pole 2050kv compares?
also does anyone have a strong servo recommendation?
geez now they also have the firma 160a brushless/1250kv combo

Last edited:
I take it that the armature wrapping of the magnets on the 1717 was to blame???? Or poor or little adhesive used in mfr. it ?
Curious, does Castle sell 1717 armatures by themselves as replacement parts?
I was considering a 1717 motor. The new one.

you have the 1250Kv in a kraton exb? how does it fit? have to mod anything to get it in there
No mods needed to the motor, but the heatsink needs a little trimming.

F3FCD34E-5810-4CA8-8F9F-F4F20BCD5510.jpeg
B78185D0-5967-4AB4-8DF1-4DF0C09BA614.jpeg

Thanks for all the great info ordered a EXB and HW max6 combo 1650kv super excited to get another 1/8th scale , saved over $70 using coupon BF1020 on A main, any suggestions for pinion size to run on 6s

Screenshot_20201129-021632_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20201129-021601_Gmail.jpg

Hello all--getting ready to grab me an EXB as well! Would this castle mamba combo be ok?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...less-motor-combo-4mm-bullet/CSE010015505.html
No that is for a 1/8 e-buggy.
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/mamba-x-1/mamba-x-1515-2200-combo-010-0155-05
Max. Recommended Vehicle Weight:Less than 9bs/4kg, with batteries, ready-to-run.

Arrma Kraton Exb just the roller is 9lbs 10oz without electronics and batteries.

You want the Mamba Monster X 8s combo https://www.castlecreations.com/en/...ster-x-8s-33-6v-esc-w-1717-1650kv-010-0165-02

You might be able to squeeze by with this system https://www.castlecreations.com/en/mamba-monster-x-1/mamba-monster-x-sm1515-2200-010-0145-03

Another good option is the Hobbywing Max6 combo https://www.amazon.com/HOBBYWING-Ezrun-Combo-Motor-1650KV/dp/B07QSCQ2HM <this was just on sale for under $200 for Cyber Monday.

I just bought that one today, haven't found a lot of people on here using them in EXB, but the couple I did it didn't look like "squeezing by" to me, but admittedly that's all relative. So I guess I'm trying to see what those that are using the MMX/2200kv are using for pinion. Guess I'm looking for a balance of speed and torque but without having to watch temps on 6S 5000mAh. I was thinking of starting with 18T, is that way off base?

I just bought that one today, haven't found a lot of people on here using them in EXB, but the couple I did it didn't look like "squeezing by" to me, but admittedly that's all relative. So I guess I'm trying to see what those that are using the MMX/2200kv are using for pinion. Guess I'm looking for a balance of speed and torque but without having to watch temps on 6S 5000mAh. I was thinking of starting with 18T, is that way off base?
I would start with a 14t or maybe even a 13t. Gear it like the rtr Kraton is geared as the Castle motor is only 150kv more than the rtr motor. Iirc the rtr comes with a 14t as an optional speed pinion, but then again it might be 16t I cannot remember. I have heard of a few members who tried the MMX with their rtr Kratons and had heat issues with it.

I would start with a 14t or maybe even a 13t. Gear it like the rtr Kraton is geared as the Castle motor is only 150kv more than the rtr motor. Iirc the rtr comes with a 14t as an optional speed pinion, but then again it might be 16t I cannot remember. I have heard of a few members who tried the MMX with their rtr Kratons and had heat issues with it.
Thanks, so it looks like 12 stock, 15 speed is std., so 14 sounds like a good starting point. Will try to look for the threads on the temp issues and see what it was and how they dealt with it, thanks. I really struggled to not buy the MMX 8S and 1717 combo, but just seemed like more than I needed since I'm not a speed runner. If I can do 55 to 60 with good thermal management and off the line torque I'll be happy on this one.

The MMX/1515 combo is pretty powerful but will hit thermal cutoff on the motor pretty quickly. This was on 6s with the 12t pinion that comes with the roller.

I like the MMX8S and 1717 motor. I also have run a TP with it. I'd take either of these over the 1515 every day of the week, especially if you gear up to some pretty fast wheel speeds.

Just got my max 6 combo and EXB in the mail, what size pinion is everyone using with the 1650kv I put a 18t on it but haven't run it yet think it will be okay or overheat? Also I was under the impression arrma fixed the diff issue on this new shipment but when I opened up the box and it had a plastic bag with shims and a small paper saying its for the diffs ??? so im assuming i should disassemble and check them?

... but when I opened up the box and it had a plastic bag with shims and a small paper saying its for the diffs ??? so im assuming i should disassemble and check them?
I got one a couple days ago, same bag of shims, it is brand new stock from after fix, so they are just including those for maintenance going forwards I feel, haven't verified that with Arrma though so just a guess.

The MMX/1515 combo is pretty powerful but will hit thermal cutoff on the motor pretty quickly. This was on 6s with the 12t pinion that comes with the roller.

I like the MMX8S and 1717 motor. I also have run a TP with it. I'd take either of these over the 1515 every day of the week, especially if you gear up to some pretty fast wheel speeds.
Well, ordered the 1717 MMX8S combo, returning the 1515, just seemed like overheating was too common. So I think I'll start out on 6S instead of 8 then, have both, so if primarily 6S what pinion?

If you are running an MMX6/2200 combo, you might want to start with a 12T pinion. That’s a small combo for a heavy rig and 18T is gonna get hot really fast.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back