Typhon Excuse me, but that's "MR TURBO SNAIL" to you. Nerd.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat_ranch

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Notorious
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
Smack was talked. Cars were flung at me in excess of 60mph. I'm flinging back now.
Spare parts is now a speed runner. I'll stop when I hit 100mph.

Here's the pre-test pics. Sacrifices were made. An accidental 8s wing order from months ago found a new life as a splitter- with the help of a fein tool, drum sander, drill, @ABabyEater , and some good old redneck ingenuity...
20210501_223008.jpg

20210501_223049.jpg

So, of course I had to take it out and drive it... at night, in the rain. It kinda rips. I love seeing 4 rain rooster tails in the headlights of my ford f'n ranger!
20210501_224106.jpg
20210501_224110.jpg

Now to find the biggest pinion I can fit, and do some actual alignment on the front end.

Smack was talked. Cars were flung at me in excess of 60mph. I'm flinging back now.
Spare parts is now a speed runner. I'll stop when I hit 100mph.

Here's the pre-test pics. Sacrifices were made. An accidental 8s wing order from months ago found a new life as a splitter- with the help of a fein tool, drum sander, drill, @ABabyEater , and some good old redneck ingenuity...
View attachment 143404
View attachment 143405
So, of course I had to take it out and drive it... at night, in the rain. It kinda rips. I love seeing 4 rain rooster tails in the headlights of my ford f'n ranger!
View attachment 143406View attachment 143407

Now to find the biggest pinion I can fit, and do some actual alignment on the front end.
Just a suggestion. Get rid of the vertical part of your front splitter that's attached to your front diff.. Looks cool but its an air brake on your car. Theres a reason why all the limitless guys take the air dams off their front ends. You want to go slow then keep it.

Hard to tell in the pics, but it is definitely not vertical. At the very least significantly less vertical the shock tower it is covering.

Hard to tell in the pics, but it is definitely not vertical. At the very least significantly less vertical the shock tower it is covering.
Still slowing it down even if it's not perfectly vertical. The front part of his splitter is already angles up about 12 degrees which should give him the down force he needs to keep the front on the ground .

Still slowing it down even if it's not perfectly vertical. The front part of his splitter is already angles up about 12 degrees which should give him the down force he needs to keep the front on the ground .
But will it slow him down less than a vertical surface?

Just a suggestion. Get rid of the vertical part of your front splitter that's attached to your front diff.. Looks cool but its an air brake on your car. Theres a reason why all the limitless guys take the air dams off their front ends. You want to go slow then keep it.
Definitely something to pay attention to- thank you!
I'll do a few runs with it as is, and then bust out the dremel for a comparison
18° according to my phone. Can't really see a reason to leave it there anymore...

@ABabyEater forced me to do a speed run tonight. I preemptively did
some dremel and fein tool sculpting on the front end per the above advice from @1coopgt , dropped @ABabyEater 's GPS doohickey in and ran one on the 15t pinion on 6s for a baseline. Full throttle was easy and no trouble controlling anything- but definitely snail speed...

signal-2021-05-09-214034.png

Then I slapped a 27t trashass pinion (and I do mean "slapped"! Light was fading fast!), and ran one in the quasi dark on 6s again, no time for being reasonable here...

signal-2021-05-09-214034.png

Not gonna lie- my midichlorian count is kinda low for 75mph in the dark. Little bugger got mucho squirrely in no time. And my pinion came loose. I might have hit 3/4 throttle (throttle expo is pretty delayed, too. Gotta reset that to straight up linear). I'm pretty stoked at how well the suspension squatted and stayed low at speed. The recycled rebuilt redcat shocks on the front end are gonna stay for awhile. My mesh was a bit of a shitshow, too. Afterward I had to drill out my motor plate and clearance the cover for the thicker pinion- it rubbed through when the pinion came loose (I didnt bother with loctite). There was heckling involved...

Ok, we left off at 94mph with 27/57 gearing, and I felt like I was kinda at the limit of what it wanted to give w/o some love. I ran it all winter as a street truck in snow and ice, did a couple 89mph tumbles into the ditch to "help" the alignment & add some steering slop, and generally just bashed it around like was a pile of spare parts (it is, unironically, just a bunch of spare parts I put together last winter). When I mentioned to @ABabyEater that I was feeling bad juju about speed running last weekend, I thought I was just suffering from a slight case of the yips, but apparently I was justified in my premonitions of doom, considering how many well respected nerds tore up nice cars.
But I digress.
YT autoplay gifted me with a great reminder from @Rich Duperbash about a spool. Thank you, sir.
20210518_204526.jpg

Next to factory 57t spur for reference.
20210518_204558.jpg

Wrench session coming soon...
20210518_211244.jpg

100mph should happen shortly thereafter (or spectacular carnage, ya never know). I might even go full potato and order a GT body....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back