Expensive hobby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So January 12th will be a month since I've had my senton 3s blx. I've replaced 2 A-Arms and a steering block.

My list of things to get is very long. I only got 1 battery but I've upgraded my tires to the Mt 2.8s, I know I'm pretty backwards. I want to put a lighting kit on my truck and also swap everything out to aluminium.

Just venting my journey as a newbie......

The only aluminum parts I would call a must are the pivot balls and the steering bellcrank. The rest is just bling. I got the c-hubs and the steering blocks because I thought they looked cool, lol. The beauty of the 3s trucks *is* the plastic. When I jump my 6s rigs, my stomach is always in my throat on the big air because I know if I mess up the landing badly chances are I am busting something. But my 3s rigs I just launch with reckless abandon. They are so light and they usually just bounce on a botched landing. I love that about them. I have to say they are my favorite trucks to bash.

The only aluminum parts I would call a must are the pivot balls and the steering bellcrank. The rest is just bling. I got the c-hubs and the steering blocks because I thought they looked cool, lol. The beauty of the 3s trucks *is* the plastic. When I jump my 6s rigs, my stomach is always in my throat on the big air because I know if I mess up the landing badly chances are I am busting something. But my 3s rigs I just launch with reckless abandon. They are so light and they usually just bounce on a botched landing. I love that about them. I have to say they are my favorite trucks to bash.

Thats it. If I want to break something on purpose by stompin it, 6s vehicles. For jumping on my plastic ramps and just blastin around, the 3s plastic truck constantly delivers. The 6s are special occasion imo now but the 3s is anywhere that has a spot. All for show-off cause I love to do it but 6s is better for that stuff too. They're louder, draw attention, cool to show off metal. Sometimes I think I may have too many 6s and not a balanced fleet with only one 3s brcc....but the thinking doesn't last long when I break out the big heavies.

Cheaper than drag racing 1:1 cars or gun collecting. I retired from racing but still am very much into firearms, so this hobby in perspective is saving me a boatload of money

Dollar for smile spent, bashing Arrma vehicles wins, hands down

For real. I've had a lot of hobbies in my life, if you can consider them hobbies, from aquariums to guitars to video games and I don't think I ever was as addicted or bought on impulse without any scrupulation quite like with RC's. I'm into this about 10 months and I have 3 trucks with another one on the way, a Clod-buster. I do think I'm gonna send the Clod back, I got a 30 day return window and I basically bought it on impulse but I'm still shelling out money on parts for my other RC's. My bank account has easily gone down by a grand in the past year or so.
Man tell me about it! Pure impulse, I know exactly when the FedEx guy is coming. I want to master this truck before I purchase another one but 3 trucks in 10 months ?. I got about 1k of net income this week and I'm trying to control my the urge.

Only a grand. You have self control my friend. Try 3 to 4 grand and no signs of stopping. I've spent more on upgrades and extra parts for my Notorious than I paid for it new. I've run it twice. My name is Johnny, and I have a problem....
I'm cheap and I couldn't see myself blowing through a grand though unless I grab another truck.

I thought this was a pretty expensive habit but not too bad, then I got into 5th scale. Please help

Like I said earlier I have a Clodbuster that is supposed to come in today but I already am thinking about sending it back. My main obsession right now is tricking out my Stampede 4x4 the way I want it. I'm not investing in my Granite 4x4 as much because aftermarket support for it is not anywhere near what it's Traxxas counterpart is right now but if it ever does that'll be more $$$ spent.

After I'm done with the Pede I want to focus on building a solid axle MT from one of the Axial chassis out there. That will be another $700 minimum, but I feel I will be able to use parts from the Stampede when the time comes like the tires/wheels, esc and battery so it won't be that bad.

As for my other hobbies, I may buy a new fish every now and then but it's around $10 lol. Guitars I barely even play and video games I'll shell out $50 maybe twice a year for a few games. Nothing to me compares to the RC life.

Cheaper than drag racing 1:1 cars or gun collecting. I retired from racing but still am very much into firearms, so this hobby in perspective is saving me a boatload of money

Dollar for smile spent, bashing Arrma vehicles wins, hands down
Couldn't agree more! Cars, motorcycles, guns ate up a TON of my money. At least firearms hold value. I used to shoot 2-gun and 3-gun competitions too, the ammo killed me. Only do USPSA now, but not as often as I would like.

Good God man and I was worried about spending a grand on an rc I have 4 at present and only spent approx £1,600

When I started in the RC hobby, maybe two years ago with quadcopters, I promised myself that I wouldn't spend much time counting the costs. I'm pretty tight and spend considerable energy trying to pinch nickels and dimes on necessities like clothing, groceries etc. I purchase for work also from food purveyors and service industry suppliers and I know they feel like I try to beat em down on everything. lol. I love the challenge of finding deals and bargains and will often spend more time than it's worth looking for the best buys....
In this hobby though I've spent a pile and probably like many others here, have stuff that I doubt I'll ever use.... which reminds me that I need to get some stuff up on the classified section of the forum.
So, my trick is to not think about the cost as long as I'm having the most fun ever. lol ???

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back