Explain : running 6s........ (1) 6s battery vs. (2) 3s batteries ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found an article about 1:1 car battery design and it doesn't mention that problem anywhere. Anyway, even with minimal resistance cell-to-cell, it would surely be a disaster for 300+ volt lithium packs used in cars! That's a lotta cells in series.

I think SMC is spewing some bullpoop, probably not even intentionally. Going for lunch, will come back to try and find some better sources :)

I found an article about 1:1 car battery design and it doesn't mention that problem anywhere. Anyway, even with minimal resistance cell-to-cell, it would surely be a disaster for 300+ volt lithium packs used in cars! That's a lotta cells in series.

I think SMC is spewing some bullpoop, probably not even intentionally. Going for lunch, will come back to try and find some better sources :)

I take some of the things SMC says with a grain of salt. Their article on graphene is just a bunch of his opinions and not even backed up by anything. And to make things even more ironic SMC is working on a line of graphene batteries......

The graphene thing has been discussed here before and even if it isn't actually graphene they use in those batteries they are still internally different from your standard lipo battery, what exactly that is is anyone's guess as the manufacturers are pretty tight lipped about it.

I take some of the things SMC says with a grain of salt. Their article on graphene is just a bunch of his opinions and not even backed up by anything. And to make things even more ironic SMC is working on a line of graphene batteries......

The graphene thing has been discussed here before and even if it isn't actually graphene they use in those batteries they are still internally different from your standard lipo battery, what exactly that is is anyone's guess as the manufacturers are pretty tight lipped about it.

I agree with you I think SMC is blowing smoke here. Foolish of me to believe it....

I thought of the same thing and looked for data on 1:1 cars since they run hundreds of cells in series. I also came up with nothing. One thing to note is that they typically do not use the same chemistry batteries in road cars due to LiPos explosive nature, but either way there seems to be no supporting data about these claims. If it was a concern we as the users would have noticed it by now. (we are good at finding problems)

I agree with you I think SMC is blowing smoke here. Foolish of me to believe it....

I thought of the same thing and looked for data on 1:1 cars since they run hundreds of cells in series. I also came up with nothing. One thing to note is that they typically do not use the same chemistry batteries in road cars due to LiPos explosive nature, but either way there seems to be no supporting data about these claims. If it was a concern we as the users would have noticed it by now. (we are good at finding problems)
To be completely honest I've never noticed any problems running packs in series and not alternating them. I've been running the same pair of batteries through my Summit for over 2 years now and both batteries take in approximately the same mah within 100-200mah of each other and both take about the same amount of time to charge, the packs will finish charging within 5 minutes of each other.

I don't think you can really compare what we do to 1:1 e-cars. Don't they only use 50% max of the battery to begin with? That alone has to have a positive impact on cell degradation.

I read a bit on this in the past and it seems there's a very small performance gain running a 6S pack vs 2x3S due to one less connector and a little less wire.

However, any pack that has cells wired in series is harder on one side of the pack than the other. I can't remember which, but either the negative side or positive side drains more than the other when used. So with that in mind, if you ran 2x3S, you could alternate packs so then your spreading the aging out to 2 cells vs just 1 cell. How big of an impact that is, I don't know. In the end, your running 6 cells in series.

I run trucks that use saddle packs and trucks that don't, so I have to run 2x3S or 2x2S unless I want specific single packs just for my outcast.

Think I read the 2 pack vs 1 pack thing here, have run across it on other information sites as well:
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=166

I disagree with that article somewhat I have a notorious 6s that I've been running daily for about 6weeks and I run 2 3s packs and use a venom dual charger. They always have the same amount of mAh as a total when done charging as well as cell voltage being consistent as well. I'm using 2 dynamite reaction 50c 5000mah 3s hardpacks.

I'll try and remember to take one of those beeper/alarm/voltage meters with me the next time I go out. All I run in my big trucks are pairs of 3S packs. Will see if I see a trend with cell voltages as I typically go through at least 2 sets of packs at least once, sometimes twice.

I'll try and remember to take one of those beeper/alarm/voltage meters with me the next time I go out. All I run in my big trucks are pairs of 3S packs. Will see if I see a trend with cell voltages as I typically go through at least 2 sets of packs at least once, sometimes twice.

Most Ive noticed in the Outcast and D8T is 0.05v variance between the cells across 2 packs using 2 2s 6200mah 40c Floureons and 2 2s 6000mah 50c HRBs. My crappy Zop Power 3s lipos would be all over the place though, like 0.1v differences between the cells themselves, they were pretty crappy to begin with as my charger would always hit the 2 hour time limit before they balanced so I blame it on that.

SMC posted this, and frankly, I think it is his BS way to say "not my fault" when a pack fails.

Cells run in series need to be matched. With 1x6s, all 6 cells are matched. With 2x3s, you have two different matches, so (IMHO) what ever pack is weaker will get stressed the most, and fail quicker.
Idk I’ve been using smc batteries for a long time and never had a issue with them till I started running batteries in series but they did warranty it tho so stand up company

Made complete sense to me? Maybe have someone help read it with you.
I didn’t say I couldn’t comprehend what was written. I said the advice given was illogical. Maybe you should have someone read this to you. Now go get your fn shine box.

I didn’t say I couldn’t comprehend what was written. I said the advice given was illogical. Maybe you should have someone read this to you. Now go get your fn shine box.
Then why state that it made no sense to you? Maybe you should stick with one answer bud. Good evening.

• I have the Typhon 3sV3 can I use a Powerhobby 6s 22.2v 5000mah 100c Lipo Battery?
Only if you upgrade the electronics, diffs, driveshafts, steering bellcrank.

I still maintain that 2x3s packs are for people who don't have 6s available to them because they're local shops don't carry 6s packs.

Make up excuses all you want but 6s is too much power so the shops don't stock it.

4s is the Sweet Spot, but it's nice to have the extra power available for giggles and covering spectators who get too close in dirt.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back