Granite Exploded hobbywing 3660 motor bearing. Solved.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Frankenstein 3S
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite
  4. Typhon 3s
Front motor bearing exploded. Outer race got stuck. The nice thing is the front cap comes off hobbywing motors apparently.

Couldn't get any purchase on the outer race anyway.

Drilled a hole in the front cap so I could get a screwdriver on it and pound it the fiddlestick out.

Had to put the cap back on the motor to hold it up and so there was room for the outer race to fall out.

Conveniently it uses the rear bearing from the v2 arrma 3660 3200kv motors and I had one handy. Fit it in and got it back together. It goes. I got it as clean as possible. Hopefully not too much metal shavings in there. No ball bearings or anything.

Great success overall I guess.
20210227_161608.jpg
20210227_154133.jpg

20210227_164544.jpg

Did not need to drill a hole. Now the bearing is needlessly exposed.
Why didn't you use the "Bread Trick"??????
I thought everyone knows about that!

Is it that the race completely separated? Then I understand.
:cool:

Did not need to drill a hole. Now the bearing is needlessly exposed.
Why didn't you use the "Bread Trick"??????
I thought everyone knows about that!

Is it that the race completely separated? Then I understand.
:cool:
Yes
. The bearing was completely disintegrated. The outer race was the only part remaining in the cap.

The bread trick would work if I had a piece of plate to drill and bolt the cap to but no. Don't have such stuff.

It's fascinating. It's like hydraulic power. But it only works if the bread has literally nowhere to go except behing the bearing. So when your bearing explodes like that you need to perfectly seal the hole in the cap and then find something that perfectly fits the outer race that is stuck.

The bread finds the path of least resistance so any gaps you leave mean the bread will go there instead of behind the bearing.

That stinks about all those breakdowns. I got a Granite V3 for Christmas and the only problem I have had so far is the ESC failing me. A phone call and some pictures sent via email to Horizon Hobby and there is a new one on the way. I would definitely get in touch with them and get your parts replaced under warranty. Unfortunately for me the replacement ESC's are out 3-4 weeks till they have them in stock so I ordered a Hobbywing Max 10SCT for it instead. I will keep the BLX100 as a spare when it arrives. Good luck with your Typhoon.

Thanks, dude. All part of the hobby. All the trucks are ready to run again and yes: the blx100 looks to be back ordered till April.

poop happens.

Gonna maybe get a kit and jam those extra electrics into it. Haven't decided exactly what yet tho.

It's fascinating. It's like hydraulic power. But it only works if the bread has literally nowhere to go except behing the bearing. So when your bearing explodes like that you need to perfectly seal the hole in the cap and then find something that perfectly fits the outer race that is stuck.

The bread finds the path of least resistance so any gaps you leave mean the bread will go there instead of behind the bearing.
Alternatively I used hobby clay I use for balancing my wheels. Works the same way.
Was too lazy to go into the kitchen for bread. That works also if you don't have any bread. I'm sure most have bread and no clay. :cool:
Bread trick works every time. đź‘Ť On closed bearings only!
Open bearings can be easily removed with the armature shaft or similar tool . And a few taps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back