Explosion proof battery bags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Be Ready

Built, Broke, Rebuilt, Repeat...
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Mojave
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
There’s a lot of options out there... Was just curious of what brand most people used. I use a ammo can but want individual bags to store them inside... just Incase one goes up the rest are protected.... Thanks!

I use Lipo bags when charging and also leave my batteries in them whilst they are stored in a metal ammo can which has vent holes.

I am under no illusion as to what the bags are for, ...they're there in the event of a Lipo fire/failure purely to give me extra seconds to grab the Lipo safely if possible and throw it out of my house or garage into the garden. Once it really goes as the video above shows you're buggered.

If you think about storing lipos, it helps to set the storage voltage to 3,7V. There is a huge difference in the amount of energy stored compared to 3,85V.

If you think about storing lipos, it helps to set the storage voltage to 3,7V. There is a huge difference in the amount of energy stored compared to 3,85V.
while that seems to be true I have seen Tunigy packs with 2% left in them, completely puffed going off a few minutes later and bursting into flames which is the actual issue, if they stink and smoke out the room its actually fine when flames come into play thats when it gets dangerous no matter how much is left in the pack ...

I refer to SLS ( superb german lipo shop) Lipo guide regarding storage.
Low voltage puts a lipo into a critical state again, afaik.

Don't rely just on bags. 99% of our batteries are too big for those bags to hold back. They are more designed for 2s max. You definitely want a fireproof box but not one that is air tight or else it will be a bomb.

Lipos are most stable at recommended 3.8V, yes they contain more energy than at 3.7V but risk of malfunctioning is significantly less according to everything I've read. I store mine now outside in a grill and no longer worry. Bags, cans all ok as long as you understand that your house still goes up in smoke if you have flammable items around it. Overall it's a low risk but it does go wrong

Lipos are most stable at recommended 3.8V, yes they contain more energy than at 3.7V but risk of malfunctioning is significantly less according to everything I've read. I store mine now outside in a grill and no longer worry. Bags, cans all ok as long as you understand that your house still goes up in smoke if you have flammable items around it. Overall it's a low risk but it does go wrong
What part of the country are you in? It was -10 this morning in Maine and I don’t think a lipo would survive that outside. If it does, I’m gonna consider doing this because I can’t justify the risk of lipo’s vs NiMH when it comes to smoke damage or a fire.

If it's not gasoline for 1/5,nitro fuel or lipos. Always have to be safe with this hobby.!

I storage charge lipos in my basement and go to bed ? sometimes I'll find them finished days later. At least I don't on a cement floor ?

What part of the country are you in? It was -10 this morning in Maine and I don’t think a lipo would survive that outside. If it does, I’m gonna consider doing this because I can’t justify the risk of lipo’s vs NiMH when it comes to smoke damage or a fire.
I'm in FL. Storing at - 10F should be OK but go by manufacturer recommendation not that the packaging is impacted and that is manufacturer dependent.
Now understand that is pure storing. You can't use or charge them at that temperature. They have to be brought to room temp for that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back